+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Allotment Watch

Aye, retirement comes to us all.

Well, I wasn't that sure it was going to come for me but I got there eventually.

Sorted out some minor issues with the chap we share an allotment with. Spuds, tomatoes, runner beans, leeks, onions & peas all went in over the weekend. Bit of a scatter gun approach but I’m a bit behind

Partick Harvies mum kindly donated the beans, which may sway my vote for the Greens

I've left mine in the ( possibly capable) hands of perfect daughter and step daughter.

I wouldn't have thought that either of them have visited the plot since I left because the north east weather has been atrocious.

Winter onions unfleeced, summer onions sown and netted to keep the doos and crows from pulling them up. Second early Nadines into dreels and earthed up. Also netted (aye, tatties netted FFS) as the fûcking blackbirds dig in the compost under which they’re warming up. One compost bin contents turned into its next-door neighbour, and a new batch started in the empty fella. Beetroot, which I’ve never been able to grow, sown in fibre pots and being switched between the garage and outside. Some growth, but disappointing thus far. Neeps and lettuce can wait.

It's all well under way but the weather is atrocious and slowing my progress!

Garlic and onions been out for a good while and a row of mange tout over the weekend. First batch of tomatoes are ready for greenhouse and broccoli waiting to go out, but will leave it another week or two for the weather to calm down. First sowings of beets and parsnips coming on well.

Squash, sweetcorn, courgettes will be ready to go out in a week or two, and beans will be sown indoors tomorrow.

And tatties are ready for their 2nd earthing up.

Sacrificial nasturtiums are ready to out with the brassicas and divert those pesky caterpillars.

Ahhhh, I love this time of year - apart from this non stop f'ing rain!

Name:  IMG_5901.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  13.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5902.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  21.7 KB

I’m having mixed results. Tomatoes beans & spuds are all fine but the rest is a bit of a disappointment. Courgettes in particular are poor this year.

I came to Budapest at the end of April and I'm still here.
    ( the last time I was at the allotment it was snowing)
    So you can imagine the mess of weeds.

Mrs. Donsdaft has been back a couple of times and made a bit of an effort.
    Daughters have been little or no help at all.

Perversely I have just been offered a bigger plot at Cattofield.

Winter onions as pictured have done well.

Spring-sown onions less so. They’ve all flattened the leaves already, probably due to lack of rain, but they’re usable.

Second early Nadines have cropped, but the tubers are very small, but usable. Lack of moisture again, I think, but it’s possible that I used the home-made compost about two months early to the vegetables’ disadvantage.

Lettuce, turnips and beetroot all poor. I think the slugs and other slitherers enjoyed the fat of the land.

Hairy bittercress and rosebay willowherb have been as virile and productive as ever. I must enact my long-planned gastropod decelopment strategy and train the bāstards to eat the weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I came to Budapest at the end of April and I'm still here.
    ( the last time I was at the allotment it was snowing)
    So you can imagine the mess of weeds.

Mrs. Donsdaft has been back a couple of times and made a bit of an effort.
    Daughters have been little or no help at all.

Perversely I have just been offered a bigger plot at Cattofield.
    Lucky you being in Budapest for that length of time , weather wise you're not missing much here DD.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast