+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How can we fix this?

How can we fix this?

Everyone knows we've been pretty poor for a while. 1 win in 7, not scoring, conceding poor goals, our press has disappeared...all those things and more.

But, this isn't a 'complaint' thread. I think most of us are pretty phlegmatic about the whole thing. We were over-achieving and, fantastic though it was, reality is beginning to bite. And, despite most of us thinking at the beginning of the season that top 8 and a cup run would be a good season to build on-and it still is-it's natural to feel a bit disappointed when we were doing so well.

We could, of course, go on another run like the one that saw us win, what was it, six games in a row? So, I guess thatt's what this thread is about...how do we get back to something approaching that form?

Personally, I think Gordon and Isak need to come in for Miggy and Wilson. Different types of players, true, but we've become too predictable down the right with Miggy and Wilson is currently doing his best Emmanuel Riviere impression. Something needs to change and we can't just hope that those two suddenly re-find their early season form.

It almost seems like sacrilege to say it but, if he's fit, I'd like to see targett given a run at LB.

I also think we need to get back to the press that was so instrumental in our success and served us so well-I'm not entirely sure why our tactics in that regard seem to have changed.

Like i say, this isn't about criticism, it's about finding answers-and enjoying having a discussion about our team. I've seen some of our 'uber-fans' on Twitter having a witch-hunt on anybody who dares criticise Miggy but the evidence is there for us all to see that, currently, we've got the 'old' Almiron playing for us,

Anyhoo, thoughts?

I'd agree.

I'd say if we're continuing with ASM, then we do need Targett as he offers more than Burn - as much as a I love bloke.

Wilso just looks spent, like he spent everything in getting to England squad and he has nothing left.

4 4 2 with Isak and Wilson up top and Gordon and the Saint on the wings one up top isnt working anymore also bring Targett in for Burn we need a proper left back starting.

Quote Originally Posted by MidsMagpie View Post
    4 4 2 with Isak and Wilson up top and Gordon and the Saint on the wings one up top isnt working anymore also bring Targett in for Burn we need a proper left back starting.
    That would leave us with only Bruno and Joelinton in the middle, though. Wilson needs benching, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Everyone knows we've been pretty poor for a while. 1 win in 7, not scoring, conceding poor goals, our press has disappeared...all those things and more.

But, this isn't a 'complaint' thread. I think most of us are pretty phlegmatic about the whole thing. We were over-achieving and, fantastic though it was, reality is beginning to bite. And, despite most of us thinking at the beginning of the season that top 8 and a cup run would be a good season to build on-and it still is-it's natural to feel a bit disappointed when we were doing so well.

We could, of course, go on another run like the one that saw us win, what was it, six games in a row? So, I guess thatt's what this thread is about...how do we get back to something approaching that form?

Personally, I think Gordon and Isak need to come in for Miggy and Wilson. Different types of players, true, but we've become too predictable down the right with Miggy and Wilson is currently doing his best Emmanuel Riviere impression. Something needs to change and we can't just hope that those two suddenly re-find their early season form.

It almost seems like sacrilege to say it but, if he's fit, I'd like to see targett given a run at LB.

I also think we need to get back to the press that was so instrumental in our success and served us so well-I'm not entirely sure why our tactics in that regard seem to have changed.

Like i say, this isn't about criticism, it's about finding answers-and enjoying having a discussion about our team. I've seen some of our 'uber-fans' on Twitter having a witch-hunt on anybody who dares criticise Miggy but the evidence is there for us all to see that, currently, we've got the 'old' Almiron playing for us,

Anyhoo, thoughts?
    I agree with all of that, only problem is that Isak doesn’t look like he can cut it as a centre forward. He looks more effective out wide. I would drop Miggy and play Isak wide right. Miggy has gone back to his worst, and a break might do him good, he must have run round thevworldctwicecthis season,he’s burnt out!. As for Targett,I agree, difficult as it will be for Eddie,but we need a proper left back, Burn been found out recently but like you I love the bloke. Where do we play Gordon? I wasn’t excited when we bought him to be honest but he’s here now so, I trust the manager. Maxi looked dangerous on Sunday, but needs to produce more end product or sell him. Why can’t we swap him for Diaby or Maddison,gotta be an improvement? We need a proven top notch striker in the summer, whatever the cost if we are to challenge. Bruno needs help in midfield, Longstaff and Willock squad players only. We have to get “ serious” if we are to deliver the owners vision and that means spending big unfortunately,and we need to be quick about it or our best players might start to wonder if they made the right decision to come here. Yes we have fantastic fans everyone knows that,but the players want to achieve things, and win trophies,look at Manu,much as I hate to say it but we’re light yrs behind them,our top players won’t hang around forever!

No, you're right. We've got a limited window in which we can keep our best players such as Bruno and Botman and add to the first team with players of a similar or better quality during which we've got to make progress to show them they were right to come here.

For what it's worth, I think we will. For starters, we've already attracted that quality of player because they can see what we're trying to do and that's not going to change. And, as we bring in that calibre of player in more and more positions, we'll start to be more of a consistent threat at the top of the table.

We are, as you say, a long way behind the very top clubs and if, say, Real Madrid set their heart on Bruno and flexed their muscles, I think he'd go. But, window by window, we're going to close the gap a little bit more. The owners have stated what their plans for the club are, they've got the money to do it (eventually) and they're going to provide Eddie Howe with the tools to do the job.

And therein lies the only slight potential fly in the ointment. i think Howe is a very loyal manager to his players and won't want to disrupt the 'group' too much. Unfortunately, the 'group' is stacked with a lot of players who need to move on and i think the owners will want to get quite a bit of business done in the Summer.

Be an nteresting Summer, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I'd agree.

I'd say if we're continuing with ASM, then we do need Targett as he offers more than Burn - as much as a I love bloke.

Wilso just looks spent, like he spent everything in getting to England squad and he has nothing left.
    Had he not got injured Targett would have continued in the team, just like ASM. They both dropped out due to injury and the players that replaced them played their part in a team that didn't lose, won a bunch and performed really well.

Now the team is not playing well. We have become predictable in general. ASM is not at full match sharpness but he's getting there. DBD has been awesome but not what ASM needs behind him. Targett is that man because he was the man behind Gerlish who made him the £100m player Man City bought.

Targett is awesome, totally underrated he's our Pablo Zabaleta. A 7/8 out of 10 every match. Give me a team of players in each position that do that and I'd be happy.

We do need to bring Targett back, ASM becomes more of a threat. Pressure shifts across the pitch opening things up on the right to allow Tripz and Miggy to play more.

Wilson just isn't at the races since he came back from the world cup. It's not a mentality thing he's just not in the right positions, balls are not getting up to him and it's been very pedestrian and one dimensional. He's an opportunist striker, thrives on chances to spin in behind we haven't been producing those kinds of chances. Isak coming in from the start might be a good idea but also it could damage the form that Wilson needs to start scoring. I'm not sure either way on that one but we defo need him to produce if he is gonnna keep his spot.

Personally I see the issue of set-pieces as our biggest concern. Before the WC we were doing cheeky things and scoring good goals in attack and rock solid in defence.

Recently we've shipped a few from set pieces and again coming back from the break our attacking threat from dead ball situations has disappeared.

We need to fix both of those issues as much as anything else which is ailing us

Agree that Targett should now start ahead of Burn, who looks shot, just like Wilson. Both need a holiday! Still not convinced about Longstaff either! In the summer, the club needs to bring in not one, but TWO strikers as we have no idea as yet what formula is required to bang in the goals. A quality defensive mid, as well as a creative mid such as JAMES MADDISON. Spend 300 million this summer, and we will be able to compete with the top dogs! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!

Good point about Targett/Grealish.

Quote Originally Posted by toonozandy View Post
    Agree that Targett should now start ahead of Burn, who looks shot, just like Wilson. Both need a holiday! Still not convinced about Longstaff either! In the summer, the club needs to bring in not one, but TWO strikers as we have no idea as yet what formula is required to bang in the goals. A quality defensive mid, as well as a creative mid such as JAMES MADDISON. Spend 300 million this summer, and we will be able to compete with the top dogs! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!
    We'll need 4-6 top quality players 40-50m a piece and 2-3 elite youth to really propel us to being a competitive team.

However, that is a tall order in one summer.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)