+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Music. Gigs. Sounds bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Best definition - anything that you can't dance to. I enjoy listening to music rather than moving to it...perhaps having 3 left feet could be why.

My musical taste has moved from mid 60s to mid 70s rock music / progrock, via punk, reggae, southern US rock to Radiohead etc al, and then sort of back to square one as the various genres of rap largely turned me off music.

But my playlist top 10 acts would be Gong, Neil Young, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Fairport Convention, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Ten years After, Allman Brothers, Linkin Park, Mountain if it creates a profile!
    I spent my holiday reading A New Day Yesterday by Mike Barnes, a massive recap of all things 70s prog, and it reminded me how much I loved and listened to ‘prog’ from Gryphon to Gentle Giant and Yes to Fruupp. I’m in the process of reacquainting myself with all that tomfoolery and last week I found an amazing Blondel album that I must have bought in around 74 and never played as it’s still in its shrink wrap, I intend to debut it next week. That’s an anecdote by the way, so not everyone will believe it

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Fairport Convention are still going strong. They were on in Buxton last month and I met Ashley Hutchings last year. Once described by Bob Dylan as the most important figure in English folk rock. Nice man...mid seventies but still got it.
    I saw Fairport at the Knebworth Festival in August 79, it was billed and announced by them as their farewell gig. I bet they’ve played 5000 gigs since then!

At least 40 of them being at Cropreddy

At least 40 of them being at Cropreddy
    …..the first of which, so the lie started quicky, was later that same afternoon (4/8/79), the band by legend getting from Stevenage to Cropreddy in a chopper arranged by Jimmy Page

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Loving the Boddie stuff, I can imagine some of them filling the floor at The Blue Orchid back in the day, I love the slower 3/4 stuff too

Similar (different) is happening to ‘The Joe Meek Tea Chest Tapes’, literally thousands of hours of recordings made by Joe Meek (Telstar etc) and being sifted through by a rock n roll acquaintance Alan Wilson of Western Star Records and issued by Cherry Red
    Not impressed with "let the children play" but the other 5 tracks are, IMO, very good. If you get any audio/video from Alan, send me the info and I'll have a listen. TIA.

Best definition - anything that you can't dance to. I enjoy listening to music rather than moving to it...perhaps having 3 left feet could be why.

My musical taste has moved from mid 60s to mid 70s rock music / progrock, via punk, reggae, southern US rock to Radiohead etc al, and then sort of back to square one as the various genres of rap largely turned me off music.
    !
    Reggae being an exception then? Does head banging count as "dance"?

From my side, obviously, I'm a dancer, less agile these days although I still get the odd compliment. Backdrops are still achievable, just can't get back up again.

Other music I listen to? Big band sounds from the likes of Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Duke Ellington. ZZ Top, Fleetwood Mac (Pete Green Era and the more poppy version), Long John Baldry, Beatles, Stones, Springs****, John Kongas, Blondie, Who, Tracey Ullman, Suzi Quatro, Siouxie and the Banshees, Jam, Style Council, Prince Buster, Stranglers, Specials, The Beat, Small Faces, Roxy Music, Simple Minds, U2 (crap live though), Ten Sharp, Tears for Fears, Jackson Browne, Chicago, Clash, Pretenders, Moody Blues, Meatloaf, Joan Jett, Guess Who, Them, Frankie gt Hollywood, Melba Moore, Kim Wilde, Eurhythmics, Elvis Costello, Dexy's, Desmond Dekker, Deep Purple, CCR, Communards, Chicago, Cheap Trick, Bananarama, Animals, Amen Corner, 10CC, American Breed... and more, I own vinyl from all of the above so can't really be accused of being a one trick music lover.

No exceptions - I don't dance, period. But that doesn't stop me liking reggae

No exceptions - I don't dance, period. But that doesn't stop me liking reggae
    Never said it did You're much like my owd fella by the sound of it. Music was to be listened to, not danced to, was the mantra. Like you, he too had 3 left feet. Me Mam loved dancing which I probably inherited off her. My late brother would get on the dancefloor on the very odd occasion.

Nowt wrong in being a listener. Out on the floor, I feel the music, as well as hear it. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff. Especially when accompanied by like minded souls. Certain songs invite claps at certain points, the feeling generated when there's north of 1000 on the dancefloor and the claps are in unison, sounding like thunder and feeling..... well, uplifting, spiritual. It's a sensation I'd love everybody to get, feel and understand. Won't happen but it's something I'd wish for everybody. One of the reasons I never felt the need for French Blues or Black Bombers etc at a nighter. Adrenaline works wonders.

Sad to hear of the death of Gary Rossington, last original member of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Skynyrd were the band that made me want to be in a band, and I’ve sung Sweet Home Alabama more than any other song. Farewell, Free Bird

I battled through the elements to a gig in Bilston last eve, veterans MAN,who rocked as ever. Highlight of the show was ‘Romaine’, one of the all time great songs about police brutality (in Belgium), sung by the victim of the original incident, Martin Ace. Welsh Lives Mattered.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)