+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Music. Gigs. Sounds bought.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    On the subject of covers, here's a song that gets the "original vinyl only" brigade's knickers in a twist. Gone with the wind is my love. Generally understood on the soul scene to be by Rita and the Tiaras. IMO a very good song and a good midtempo dancer. Is it or isn't it the original, though? It was certainly the first version issued, of that there is no doubt. However, a couple of months before the Rita version was recorded, the song was recorded by Gloria Jones, also with the Tiaras as the backing group. That wasn't released at the time because Gloria "didn't like the sound of her voice" on that track. It was Gloria who suggested to Rita (Rita Graham) she should give the song a go. Rita liked the recording as did the recording company, Dore. It was released in 1967. Rereleased in 1979 on Destiny (I have that version). In 2012, Gloria's version was finally released on Soul Purpose (which I also have). The original recording but not the first release. On the occasions I've played the song out, it's been Gloria's version because I prefer it.

I've not even attempted to buy the Dore version of "Rita", simply because it's very rare and a quality copy comes in at around £4K these days.
    The joy and madness of record collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    The joy and madness of record collecting.
    Aint that the truth. I've got every 45 released on Ric Tic including all the label variations plus 2 that were pressed but never released. Total cost £600. As a set £2K+. I did think of collecting all the demos as well but when the "Scott's on swingers" version of "Stop her on sight" only had 50 pressed as an advertising stunt for Detroit DJ Scott Regan and that one alone goes for £1K+, I decided the demos would cost north of £4K by quite a bit...... common sense can also prevail with record collectors

Since 1959 "Payola" affair, rewarding radio DJ's with money or favours received a high profile investigation, and ended in the preventative measure of stripping the DJ's of the rights to choose their own plays.

But the savvy team at Wingate thought of another way to curry favour with radio stations and their DJ's. By Edwin Starr rewriting "S.O.S." Stop Her On Sight with lyrics that paid homage to Detroit's most influential DJ Scott Regan "He Plays The Best Music In Town" .

What a great idea reinforcing the bond between Scott Regan, The DJ and Ed Wingate's Ric-Tic label. Nothing illegal about massaging a DJ's shoulders and telling him how great he is.. It will have strengthened Ric-Tic's position in the Motor City. The conclusion in the end, was Motown decided to buy out this burgeoning independent enlisting Edwin Starr's services into the bargain.

Today this 45 is considered THE really cool way to play "S.O.S." Stop Her On Sight" for the UK DJ. It's not only a guaranteed floor-packer, it is also a turntable head-twister for those dancers who haven't heard it before.. an explosive reaction assured on those oldies reunion nights.

Aint that the truth. I've got every 45 released on Ric Tic including all the label variations plus 2 that were pressed but never released. Total cost £600. As a set £2K+. I did think of collecting all the demos as well but when the "Scott's on swingers" version of "Stop her on sight" only had 50 pressed as an advertising stunt for Detroit DJ Scott Regan and that one alone goes for £1K+, I decided the demos would cost north of £4K by quite a bit...... common sense can also prevail with record collectors

Since 1959 "Payola" affair, rewarding radio DJ's with money or favours received a high profile investigation, and ended in the preventative measure of stripping the DJ's of the rights to choose their own plays.

But the savvy team at Wingate thought of another way to curry favour with radio stations and their DJ's. By Edwin Starr rewriting "S.O.S." Stop Her On Sight with lyrics that paid homage to Detroit's most influential DJ Scott Regan "He Plays The Best Music In Town" .

What a great idea reinforcing the bond between Scott Regan, The DJ and Ed Wingate's Ric-Tic label. Nothing illegal about massaging a DJ's shoulders and telling him how great he is.. It will have strengthened Ric-Tic's position in the Motor City. The conclusion in the end, was Motown decided to buy out this burgeoning independent enlisting Edwin Starr's services into the bargain.

Today this 45 is considered THE really cool way to play "S.O.S." Stop Her On Sight" for the UK DJ. It's not only a guaranteed floor-packer, it is also a turntable head-twister for those dancers who haven't heard it before.. an explosive reaction assured on those oldies reunion nights.
    One for GP?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    One for GP?
    Didn't he once write Soul's not his "thang"? I reckon by the time he got to Ric Tic (12 words in, if he got that far), he would have decided that the post wasn't of interest to him

…and then from nowhere a gift from a musical God

https://youtu.be/_n1Bxp-YfTs

These guys can do no wrong in my eyes/ears, so thanks Jimmy

Didn't he once write Soul's not his "thang"? I reckon by the time he got to Ric Tic (12 words in, if he got that far), he would have decided that the post wasn't of interest to him
    You know me too well. I read MA's prior discourse and didn't understand it, so I gave up on this one early doors

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    You know me too well. I read MA's prior discourse and didn't understand it, so I gave up on this one early doors
    What about this then

https://youtu.be/nK9Emtfk95s

Any band with a member who says with straight face that they are ‘mapping out the architecture of eternity’ absolutely gets my vote. And there are young, apparently lucid, folk who consider such *******s appealling. There’s hope for us all yet
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 28-03-2023 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    …and then from nowhere a gift from a musical God

https://youtu.be/_n1Bxp-YfTs

These guys can do no wrong in my eyes/ears, so thanks Jimmy
    Very soothing. Liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    ... and that's absolutely OK. Your bag probably isn't mine but I do listen to suggestions from others on this post, I am a lifelong Soul Man but not limited to that genre. It's just my favourite one. Today I will be listening to a couple of Jackson Browne LPs and a ZZ Top one, two acts I've seen on more than one occasion.

... and that's absolutely OK. Your bag probably isn't mine but I do listen to suggestions from others on this post, I am a lifelong Soul Man but not limited to that genre. It's just my favourite one. Today I will be listening to a couple of Jackson Browne LPs and a ZZ Top one, two acts I've seen on more than one occasion.
    Totally agree, MA. Years ago - school days - things were more polarised. I followed what was then called the ProgRock and Folk/rock - think King Crimson, Deep Purple, ELP, Moody Blues, and many major U.S. bands - route and we had little in common with the soul boys in fact it got quite acrimonious at times in a ‘hairies’ v ‘skinheads’ type scenario. I long since realised that I missed out on a lot of wonderful music by being so ‘cliquey’ in relation to genres.

Jackson Browne was never a top favourite, in the way for instance that James Taylor and CSN&Y were, a bit of a poor man’s Dylan imo...but still always worth a listen and one of my great regrets is that, about five years ago, we arrived in Ventura only to find that JB had played an old cinema in the town the night before. Would have been an ‘occasion’ but sadly wasn’t to be. Might dig out his ‘The Next Voice You Hear’ CD this morning. Still going strong at approaching 75 I think.

P.S. Given your knowledge of vinyl...I’ve been told that my original copy of the Pretty Things’ ‘SF Sorrow’ is worth quite a lot. It’s definitely in good to very good condition, totally playable but not ‘mint’. Any ideas of value?

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)