+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Music. Gigs. Sounds bought.

OT - Music. Gigs. Sounds bought.

A thread to post up your musical buys and info on gigs you've been to. You never know, you might encourage someone else to visit a gig or listen to a band they don't know.

My 2 most recent buys.

Garnet Mimms - Looking for you in VG condition vinyl (although the labels have been cannibalised). Without the cannibalisation of the label probably worth £200 and I could possibly get between 80 and 100 for it. Long time want and it plays excellently. Couple of crackles in the 1st 2 rotations and then just about perfect. Youtube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX1lYmU4dFo

Boddie box set. The long defunct USA Boddie label. The current owner of the back catalogue went through the old tapes and acetates and came up with 6 never released songs. To me 5 good ones and one less so. Released in a 3 x 45rpm box set. Interestingly, they are unaware of the artists. Hence each song being by "Unknown Artist". Limited edition of 1000 sets. Digital versions available to listen at https://boddierecordingcompany.bandc...ie-acetate-box

2 good deals IMO. My current singles collection has cost me about 8 grand to put together over the past 8 years. Probably worth around 20 grand. Not yet paid 3 figures for a single and most of the ones I still really, really want are all well into 3 figures. They will, very likely remain on the wants list.

Different genre. I went to see 2 local bands in Amstelveen last night. Both playing "melodious" but hard music. I enjoyed both sets. Look them up on the usual outlets if interested. Floodlines (Google Floodlines band - There's also a Dutch podcast of the the same name), we know the guitarist (left in the left hand picture), good friend of my son and he occasionally crashes in our spare room. Floodlines play their own material. Outlaw Queen (Google Outlaw Queen band) have a female singer who attends the Rock Academy and the girl can sing, do 50/50 their own work and covers. IMO both are well worth a listen.

Name:  Floodlines.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  16.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    A thread to post up your musical buys and info on gigs you've been to. You never know, you might encourage someone else to visit a gig or listen to a band they don't know.

My 2 most recent buys.

Garnet Mimms - Looking for you in VG condition vinyl (although the labels have been cannibalised). Without the cannibalisation of the label probably worth £200 and I could possibly get between 80 and 100 for it. Long time want and it plays excellently. Couple of crackles in the 1st 2 rotations and then just about perfect. Youtube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX1lYmU4dFo

Boddie box set. The long defunct USA Boddie label. The current owner of the back catalogue went through the old tapes and acetates and came up with 6 never released songs. To me 5 good ones and one less so. Released in a 3 x 45rpm box set. Interestingly, they are unaware of the artists. Hence each song being by "Unknown Artist". Limited edition of 1000 sets. Digital versions available to listen at https://boddierecordingcompany.bandc...ie-acetate-box

2 good deals IMO. My current singles collection has cost me about 8 grand to put together over the past 8 years. Probably worth around 20 grand. Not yet paid 3 figures for a single and most of the ones I still really, really want are all well into 3 figures. They will, very likely remain on the wants list.

Different genre. I went to see 2 local bands in Amstelveen last night. Both playing "melodious" but hard music. I enjoyed both sets. Look them up on the usual outlets if interested. Floodlines (Google Floodlines band - There's also a Dutch podcast of the the same name), we know the guitarist (left in the left hand picture), good friend of my son and he occasionally crashes in our spare room. Floodlines play their own material. Outlaw Queen (Google Outlaw Queen band) have a female singer who attends the Rock Academy and the girl can sing, do 50/50 their own work and covers. IMO both are well worth a listen.

Name:  Floodlines.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  16.1 KB
    That Garnett Mimms cut is a belter, I have it on a couple of compilations

Going to see stoned Welsh rockers MAN on Wednesday, been going as a band since 1969, I first saw them in 76 and when I saw them last year they were still rockin’ like good uns

Great fan of Man since 2 ounces of plastic / Spunk Box era. They were truly Ace

The above statement made more astonishing given that they were Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Great fan of Man since 2 ounces of plastic / Spunk Box era. They were truly Ace

The above statement made more astonishing given that they were Welsh
    Yes that’s a massive prejudice to overcome, imagine my angst as I was also a fan of Budgie.

Ace is the right word as Martin Ace is the last remaining from the glory days of the 70s and his son Josh is guitarist

Has anybody had a listen to Floodlines or Outlaw Queen yet? Well worth a listen and it's not my usual genre.... anything but, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    That Garnett Mimms cut is a belter, I have it on a couple of compilations

Going to see stoned Welsh rockers MAN on Wednesday, been going as a band since 1969, I first saw them in 76 and when I saw them last year they were still rockin’ like good uns
    A mere 30 quid Andy. Absolute bargain.

Has anybody had a listen to Floodlines or Outlaw Queen yet? Well worth a listen and it's not my usual genre.... anything but, in fact.
    Floodlines - decent powerpop, not sure I could go a whole gig of that but mighty fine anyway, a bit Stereophonics, prob showing my age as I bet they godown a storm in a sweaty club

Less impressed with outlaw Queen, a bit this and that

A mere 30 quid Andy. Absolute bargain.
    Well done.

Seems there’s only us listen to music that we’re proud enough to share, so I’ll continue.

Currently looking for a Derby or Notts gig for The Heathen Apostles (‘Americana’) in July, alerted to them by my friend Sarah Vista who is playing support. Check em out. RA, if you’re reading this they might be your cup o tea

I tried to listen to Floodline but all the videos appear to be on Facebook thus outwith my access. As for Garnett, soul music is so far out of my comfort zone that 30 seconds was too much. Sorry MA, I'm sure you love it but it's a "no" from me

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Well done.

Seems there’s only us listen to music that we’re proud enough to share, so I’ll continue.

Currently looking for a Derby or Notts gig for The Heathen Apostles (‘Americana’) in July, alerted to them by my friend Sarah Vista who is playing support. Check em out. RA, if you’re reading this they might be your cup o tea
    Yep...tad too Country and Western for my tastes but I agree...they’re very good. I’m actually involved in the ‘Live and Local’ stuff and we put bands and plays on at our village church but I think some might object to The Heathen Apostles playing such a venue!
    Not sure how big a venue you’re looking for or what sort of fee but there are some decent small venues available in Derbyshire...Crich Village Hall for instance or Holloway where I saw an excellent Cornish Bluegrass band last year. Might be too small though...probably only hold a couple of hundred.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)