+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two 16k League Crowds in One Season

Two 16k League Crowds in One Season

When did this last happen?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    Do a search for Up the Maggies!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie2k4 View Post
    1991/92, not including play offs

2017/18 including play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    1991/92, not including play offs

2017/18 including play offs.
    Strange thing about that 1991/92 season is that the Man. Utd attendance was higher than the local derby (by 11) - that 21,055 is the highest attendance I’ve ever seen at the Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Strange thing about that 1991/92 season is that the Man. Utd attendance was higher than the local derby (by 11) - that 21,055 is the highest attendance I’ve ever seen at the Lane.
    Same here. We did have three 16k + gates that season.

Previous chairmen before Hardy all missed a trick by not having these regular ticket offers and promoting them properly. Obviously social media makes a big difference, but the NEP (in the days when it wasn't quite so biased) and local news would have got behind it.

All Notts did as a club when I was a regular was moan and complain about the gates to the people who were already turning up, which was counter productive. Persisting with offers and losing income in the short term does pay off in the longer term. Gates haven't gone up as much as the released figures suggest but there obviously has been a significant increase.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 24-03-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Same here. We did have three 16k + gates that season.

Previous chairman before Hardy all missed a trick by not having these regular ticket offers and promoting them properly. Obviously social media makes a big difference, but the NEP (in the days when it wasn't quite so biased) and local news would have got behind it.

All Notts did as a club when I was a regular was moan and complain about the gates to the people who were already turning up, which was counter productive. Persisting with offers and losing income in the short term does pay off in the longer term. Gates haven't gone up as much as the released figures suggest but there obviously has been a significant increase.
    I can imaging Derek's reaction if somebody had ever suggested a ticket offer for fans to him, he even charged us an extra pound to watch after he bought Ramage!

My overriding memories of the Utd game were that we missed a shed load of chances to bury them and Ince bought his penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Looking at UTM's site my highest at Meadow Lane would be 34,208 against Villa in 1972.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Looking at UTM's site my highest at Meadow Lane would be 34,208 against Villa in 1972.
    Same for me.

Wonder what we would have got v Man Utd in 1992 if the capacity had been what it had been in the 1970s. I'd never seen queues like that before or since.

The police set a crowd limit of 35,000 for that Villa match in 1972, the actual capacity at that time was 40,000 (including 4,470 seats), this was shortly before the first seats were installed on County Road so begs the question - what happened to the space for the 7k extra or so that had been squeezed in 17 years earlier? The ground didn't change during that time so presumably it was reduced for safety reasons, though as it turned out, such a reduction would never have been proved necessary.

Including cups games, that 1972 Villa match is the 41st highest home gate of all time. Unless anybody here was watching Notts before 1958 they won't have seen any higher than that at a home game.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 24-03-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Wonder what we would have got v Man Utd in 1992 if the capacity had been what it had been in the 1970s. I'd never seen queues like that before or since.
    My highest (from your site) is 23,552 against Forest in 82/83. What was the capacity in those three seasons? It doesn't look like we went much above 19k in any apart from that one Forest match.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast