+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Chalky and Frank, what did / do you think of 'Jesus Christ Superstar'?

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    I put a post on one of her videos and she replied back so I pointed her in the direction of this forum and thread
    Does she think that Mellish's best position is in a back five, orthodox midfield or just behind the strikers?

Stefan do you know where I can purchase her album please?
    In between UOGB tours she goes out on her own account as Ra.
    This is the page on her web site that shows her recordings :- https://www.ramusician.com/music-1

There is also a contact email on that web site :- ramusician@hotmail.com
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 25-03-2023 at 01:54 PM.

Ahhh,thanks for the link Stefan,no wonder I didn't get anywhere as I didn't realise that she recorded under a different name,I ordered the 6 track ep as it's the only one available in physical format plus they aren't cover versions so will be interesting to listen to

The Ukulele Orchestra that you also have put links up to in the past I'm quietly warming to,did I read somewhere that they toured China? (Could be wrong TBF)

Chalky,
    I emailed her this afternoon at the email address on her web site asking if she was currently making another YouTube video or if not had she got something in mind for when she had the time. 75 minutes later she replied :-

"I’m currently editing a little something new! Touring takes up quite a lot of my time these days, but I’m still busy doing creative things behind the scenes - some of which take a bit of my time away from YouTube, but will eventually make their way on there. Hang tight!

Laura".

I'm only going on that one link howoldboy but they sound distinctly average,there's nothing special that makes me want to look further,when Stefan put the link up to Laura Currie there was an immediate sparkle,something that can't be explained but it gets to you in your musical heart,often it will just the one off and the performer can't replicate what they did before like Future Islands singing Seasons on that American Late Show but with Laura Currie I don't even think that Stefan put up her best cover because Love is a Laserquest is my current favourite song of the month

Stefan do you know where I can purchase her album please?
    Take that back Chalky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgfe55dZtIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L63j8wUP8kY
    Last edited by howoldboy; 26-03-2023 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Stefan_Kuntz View Post
    Chalky,
    I emailed her this afternoon at the email address on her web site asking if she was currently making another YouTube video or if not had she got something in mind for when she had the time. 75 minutes later she replied :-

"I’m currently editing a little something new! Touring takes up quite a lot of my time these days, but I’m still busy doing creative things behind the scenes - some of which take a bit of my time away from YouTube, but will eventually make their way on there. Hang tight!

Laura".
    It's great that she even takes time out to reply to people who message her,her star just shines brighter

Satellite of Love was ok howoldboy,nothing special but nice to listen to,the other track was superb though,starting with Sympathy for the Devil and If I was a Carpenter worked well,then the mish mash of other songs and finishing back with Sympathy I really enjoyed listening to it,the female singer has a good voice but not a great voice but it works well with the rest of the orchestra,good choice

Quote Originally Posted by howoldboy View Post
    Stefan. I think it was you who introduced me to the UOGB.

How do you feel about the latest line up?

Maybe improved musically but have they lost something along the way?

It just doesn't seem to have the same spark/magic without Kitty Lux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om1NCW8gYnM
    Howoldboy
    It was George and Kitty Lux who formed UOGB for fun in 1985. Up until then she had been a punk.
    It's just my opinion but it seems to me that she typically played rythm whilst George always played the intricate melodies and Richie who sat to our immediate left of her, played some melodies and counter-melodies.

Although each member of the band had his / her own songs on which they were solo or lead vocalist it
    seems that Kitty had fewest of these. I think that she performed songs that did not need either great
    range or great power. She had least to say on stage, so we 'knew' her least, we 'know' the personalities
    of all the others. But she, in a way that I cannot define, 'delivered' a song well.

Howoldboy, since Kitty's time with the band you must have discerned something missing from the band, something
    that I do not discern.

At the time when Kitty's illness resulted in her leaving the band the 'first team' line up as an 8 piece was:-
    Dave Suich, Peter Brooke Turner, Hester Goodman, George Hinsliffe, Richie Williams, Kitty Lux Will Grove-White and Jonty Bankes

All of them except Kitty Lux are still on board. Four of them were founder members in 1985. The other 4 joined in the early 90s.

George as owner / manager / 'musical ideas man' / arranger / best player and by far the oldest of them plays fewer gigs but Ben Rouse
    takes his place and is as good as George. In fact Ben seems to be appearing more than George such that publicity photographs of the
    band now show Ben as part of the 8 and not George.

As well as the 'first team' of 8 there are 4 'deputies. I emailed Peter Brooke Turner about the line-up. He stated that there may be a
    reason why one or two of them would not go on a long foreign tour, i.e. Hester has a young child. Peter explained that it was all very
    amicable about choosing the line-up bearing in mind everyone's circumstances, that most of the band do have other jobs in music and may
    have made commitments elsewhere for when the UOGB was between tours and then the UOGB got more gigs such that the between tours time began to be diminished by relatively short notice of extra gigs.

There is a squad of 12, including 4 'deputies'. When a 'deputy' is brought in I do not notice any discernible fall in quality.

Lisa Rea, Ben Rouse and Laura Currie joined as deputies in 2003, 2014 and 2019. They all got enough gigs to be satisfactory, given the personal circumstances of the individual members of the band and now are in the 'first team'. Laura ceased being a deputy in 2021.

In the last 3 or 4 years the line-up has often shown one or two deputies, especially on the foreign tours. But these folk each bring their own
    personas, i.e. Ewan Wardrop does a clog dance. A founder member, Dave Bowie, left the band but is now one of the deputies on base.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 26-03-2023 at 03:04 PM.

Very interesting. Quite an unusual arrangement.

Hard to explain it, but for me Kitty Lux had something mischievous about her and I suspect she added a bit of spark to the group even if she wasn't as musically talented as some. A bit like having a character in a football dressing room that somehow improves the overall team even though he isn't the greatest footballer.

I am only going from what I have seen on You Tube, so I may be getting a false impression, but the latest videos I have seen seem a bit more music and a bit less comedy.

Whatever direction they go in, they are still a great band and I will continue to enjoy them.

Thanks Stefan.

I like the p­iss take of 'Anarchy In The UK'. It isn't that they change the words, they do not. But they play it as a folk song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6O91igFYaM&ab_channel=roverrover

You really cannot get much more 'establishment' than it being a BBC Proms concert at the Royal Albert Hall.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 26-03-2023 at 04:20 PM.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)