+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chalky and Frank, what did / do you think of 'Jesus Christ Superstar'?

Chalky and Frank, what did / do you think of 'Jesus Christ Superstar'?

­

I've never seen it Stefan,I don't really like musicals that much but now you mention it is it a p1ss take on religion?

I loved the life of Brian when it came out even though that took the p1ss and wasn't a musicial

How many musicials have you seen,you seen knowable about them,is it your favourite genre of music?

I've googled it Stefan and it's definitely not a p1ss take,I just can't get into plays n stuff that suddenly burst into song at any given moment,it just seems like opera for the masses to me,I know the title song and I Don't Know His To Love him but that's all

If I was forced to see one musicial before I went then it would probably be Evita as I love the songs Don't Cry For Me Argentina and Another Suitcase Another Hall,what did you think of Madonna's stab at it,I enjoyed her versions of the songs tbf

Reminded me of the chant.
    "Georgie Best superstar
    walks like a Woman
    and he wears bra"
    You would probably get arrested for singing it these woke days.

I havent seen it either, i expect its some transgender c unt farting around like a total p oof.

Chalky, I do not blame Frank for his view of it with him not having seen it. You are absolutely correct that it was/is not a p*iss take. When the original concept album came out some religious people just assumed from the title that it was a p*iss take. Some religious leaders, having heard one or two songs from the album condemned it but, heard outside the full context of the piece this was a wrong judgement. When the West End full show had been running for a while there was no religious antipathy to it. I bought the original concept album and saw the original West End production.

I like it a lot. It is best either on stage or on audio disc. The two film versions allow more technical scope but have some modern day eccentricities that I do not like, such as showing security surveillance screens Either make it all in a modern day context or set it in the Biblical era.

Without diminishing Jesus it examines the Judas motives. Here is the first song of the film, Judas giving a warning that the movement is getting too loud and is in danger from the powers that be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqoe...el=JuanRaRivas

I like the funky guitar riffs at the beginning, which indicate anxiety. Lloyd Webber is good at indicating the mood with a few bars of music before any voice is heard.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 07-03-2023 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    I havent seen it either, i expect its some transgender c unt farting around like a total p oof.
    Actually there is one bit of the 1973 film in which your characterisation is almost correct, Herod's song. This is the only time that we see Herod. I do not like the setting or the mood, though it is amusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEmScsUkbo4

Jesus Christ "The Musical"...................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w42ycMkAhVs

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    If I was forced to see one musicial before I went then it would probably be Evita as I love the songs Don't Cry For Me Argentina and Another Suitcase Another Hall,what did you think of Madonna's stab at it,I enjoyed her versions of the songs tbf
    It is very nearly all songs. Madonna was determined to get the role of Eva Peron but did not initially get it. Eventually she did get it (a big worldwide name presumably sells better than maybe Elaine Page would have done at the time). Having got it she had to have extra voice training. She wanted to at least do some of the directing of the film but Rice / Lloyd Webber totally refused to let that happen.

For me the best role in the film is Che. He is the narrator who is the opposite sort of character to Eva. He is a pleasant character, an idealist. Whereas Eva was disadvantaged as a child / youth and made her mind up that there were not going to be any rules for her. Che is effectively a representation of the personality of Che Gavara the famous Argentinian freedom fighter. In real life they never met. He became prominent in the late 1950s, she died in 1952.

In the 1996 film Che, the narrator, is played by Antonio Banderas. He tells us what Eva's motives are and what she is up to. He is opposed to her. He steps into some scenes much as the narrator does in some plays of the likes of Shakespeare. A few years after the film was made there was a gala evening celebrating the works of Rice & Lloyd Webber. At this event here is Banderas performing the first song from 'Evita' in the context of Eva having just died, 'Oh What A Circus'. He then sings 'High Flying Adored' which is about Eva when her husband has won the election to be President. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tPC...owsMustGoOn%21

Banderas is in character throughout this. I like it when when he (Che) walks off and Elaine Page (Eva) walks on and they glare at each other.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 07-03-2023 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Stefan_Kuntz View Post
    The two film versions allow more technical scope but have some modern day eccentricities that I do not like, such as showing security surveillance screens Either make it all in a modern day context or set it in the Biblical era.

I like the funky guitar riffs at the beginning, which indicate anxiety. Lloyd Webber is good at indicating the mood with a few bars of music before any voice is heard.
    Surly you are contradicting yourself there Stefan,I can't see there being many funky guitars* back in Biblical era?

The performance of the song by Carl Anderson in his role as Judas is strong going by that one clip,he has a powerful voice that makes his point and I will watch it again sometime

Elaine Paige,what can I say, if I was Antonio Banderas,and I know that he was still in character when he walked off and looked towards her ("It's me,EP!) I would give her the bird as I left,I honestly can't stand the woman and that f@cking laugh of hers goes right through me

* I also enjoyed the funky guitars btw

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)