+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matchday thread: Pilgrims v Rams.

100% we should be trying to get promoted. I think we may feel a little burned by our 07-08 experience, but that was exceptional circumstances. Get up there and compete.

Imo, I don't see the EFL relaxing our restrictions! Why?? Because it will send the wrong message to other clubs, 'we will rap your knuckles if you're a naughty boy but kiss them better if you obey' doesn't work with me unless the EFL have developed a soft centre!!
    Can Warne restore our energy and *****ity with a group of players who are beginning to look like they've 'hit the wall'? Bird coming back may help but he will need a few games at least to get back to full fitness never mind get our mojo back.
    Perhaps Warne has had it easy so far, be interesting to see how he tries to re-invigorate a tired looking squad!!

It’s a conundrum isn’t it? Personally I’ve enjoyed this season more than last, probably because I’ve been able to go to most matches with a sense of expectation rather than ‘fear’. For that reason I think I’d rather stay down and build next season than go up and seriously struggle each week.
    Swale makes a good point about the EFL possibly relaxing our punishment during the summer on the grounds of good behaviour, but then mac is also talking sense when he suggests they won’t because it’ll send out the wrong message. Add to that the EFL’s reputation for being unpredictable and inconsistent and who knows?
    As regards Warne...tbh I’ve been just a tad disappointed of late. I thought he did brilliantly until the end of January but since then we seem to have fallen short and there’s been a few times when we seem to have been undone, last night being just the latest, by the half time talk. Not sure what’s going on and I’m certain he needs time. I also recognise that he is working within limitations, but just when I expected us to push on we seem in danger of stalling and his two(?) January acquisitions have hardly proved to be significant game changers either.
    There’s a need for a big improvement when Saturday comes.

If we stay down, we could stay down and struggle in L1 for 10 years! We've overachieved so far, achieved bloody miracles if I'm honest to my feelings, but surely we've got to be "wanting" a promotion, even if it is against the odds and makes for a challenging following season.
    I didn't think much of his football, but I remember Clough bringing in players like Bucko, Forsyth, Martin... lower league players for nothing that could step up and keep us in the Championship, it's totally achievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    If we stay down, we could stay down and struggle in L1 for 10 years!
    Why? Don’t quite see it like that RS. If we stay down but build a better squad doesn’t that give us a better chance of staying up...potentially in 24/25?
    Of course I’ll have completely abandoned any of this negative reasoning by Saturday.

Their gaffer said, post match, that we have owd uns who run out of steam at the end and young uns who get nervous under pressure. They took advantage of it...

Getting Bird back will help but will that be enough to see us through? Hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Imo, I don't see the EFL relaxing our restrictions! Why?? Because it will send the wrong message to other clubs, 'we will rap your knuckles if you're a naughty boy but kiss them better if you obey' doesn't work with me unless the EFL have developed a soft centre!!
    Can Warne restore our energy and *****ity with a group of players who are beginning to look like they've 'hit the wall'? Bird coming back may help but he will need a few games at least to get back to full fitness never mind get our mojo back.
    Perhaps Warne has had it easy so far, be interesting to see how he tries to re-invigorate a tired looking squad!!
    To an extent, but the punishment was the pts deduction, the current restrictions are what was agreed with the EFL in a business plan going forward, with the aim of avoiding the club overreaching itself financially. It is subject to review at the end of the season, with a revised plan for the next 12 months to be agreed with the EFL. As long as they are satisfied that financially its sustainable, which basically comes down to not relying on debt, then there is no reason why the restrictions will not be relaxed. That's come from people at the club that should know and indeed has been publicly discussed as well.

So I'm hopeful, much of course will depend which division we are in for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It’s a conundrum isn’t it? Personally I’ve enjoyed this season more than last, probably because I’ve been able to go to most matches with a sense of expectation rather than ‘fear’. For that reason I think I’d rather stay down and build next season than go up and seriously struggle each week.
    Swale makes a good point about the EFL possibly relaxing our punishment during the summer on the grounds of good behaviour, but then mac is also talking sense when he suggests they won’t because it’ll send out the wrong message. Add to that the EFL’s reputation for being unpredictable and inconsistent and who knows?
    As regards Warne...tbh I’ve been just a tad disappointed of late. I thought he did brilliantly until the end of January but since then we seem to have fallen short and there’s been a few times when we seem to have been undone, last night being just the latest, by the half time talk. Not sure what’s going on and I’m certain he needs time. I also recognise that he is working within limitations, but just when I expected us to push on we seem in danger of stalling and his two(?) January acquisitions have hardly proved to be significant game changers either.
    There’s a need for a big improvement when Saturday comes.
    I'm reluctant to criticise Warne, he has to deal with the cards he has and I'm sure is a as frustrated as any fan with what has happened. He was limited in January with his acquisitions, presumably Springett has shown much in training to dislodge the others?

[QUOTE=MadAmster;40234740]Their gaffer said, post match, that we have owd uns who run out of steam at the end and young uns who get nervous under pressure. They took advantage of it...

Getting Bird back will help but will that be enough to see us through? Hope so.[/QUOTE
    We always knew that the lack of experienced mid twenty year olds was always going to be an issue especially in the latter stages of the season as the grind took its toll on the senior players. As their manager says, add in the youngsters lacking that experience and perhaps the second half problems recently evident becomes understandable. Can Warne sort out that problem, who knows but if he can't then bye bye play offs!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)