+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T Got the green light to re start donating blood

O/T Got the green light to re start donating blood

Many years ago I thought long and hard about donating blood so started when I was 18. Personal circumstances changed so I stopped and thought nothing more about it.

Fast forward 25+ years and where I worked at a the time wasn't too far from the Blood centre in Sheffield so I started to donate again. As time passed, I transferred to the companies Call Centre. Eventually, they allowed the mobile donor bus to visit so I enrolled for that. After a few years, some mardy git in Management decided it was taking too many hours out of the business so stopped them form visiting even though people were giving up their lunchtimes/breaks to donate. When this happened I just stopped donating again. I really tried to commit to visiting the Sheffield centre but parking around there was awful so, just packed it all in. On reflection that was poor on my show

Up to date now and after visiting my ill Mum in hospital, where she has received two blood transfusions as part of her recovery, has made me realise I need to start donating again so I made enquiries. Because I hadn't donated for several years, they required a letter of approval from my GP as I have Hypertension. Finally, the letter has been received and I can now start to re donate.

My good lady and Daughter are both in the nursing profession. Wife is a Senior Midwife and the Daughter is in her final and 3rd year of a degree at Sheffield Hallam Uni in order to qualify to become a Neo Natal Nurse for new borns. I've asked them both to join me in donating, they've both said they are frightened of it hurting so, I'm working on it. Maybe I could invite them along to see me donate? You never know that might help convince them to giving to what is a very needy cause.

Anyone else ever though of donating but never followed it up? Blood is always in great demand across the country so if you can, why not give it a go and do something that makes you feel proud. I'll have to re check to see if I still am, but I was also registered on the Anthony Nolan bone marrow transplant organisation.

Again apologies for the long winded post

Keep meaning to.

Last time I tried it was too close to colonoscopy that I'd had.

Note to self : Check when next session is.

Well done Brin, I use the Donor centre in Sheff, you can Park in Campo Lane Multi Storey and the Blood Girls will give you a ticket for it. I give Platelets instead of blood and they take them every month, i think i'm up somewhere near 300 donations.
    As you say every drop is needed. They usually take 2 lots of platelets from me, each one can treat 6 adults or 12 children, usually people on chemo i think. I don't think they take the bone marrow after 45 years so you may be too old, like me.

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    Keep meaning to.

Last time I tried it was too close to colonoscopy that I'd had.

Note to self : Check when next session is.
    I've booked in on Star Wars day at our very own NYS.

May the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    I've booked in on Star Wars day at our very own NYS.

May the 4th.
    See you in the queue then !

Yes, been a blood donor for years, well over 60 donations. When my Mum died a couple of years ago I went through a bad time, got really run down but foolishly (with hindsight) attended a donor session. Needless to say my blood iron level was well down. This was the second time it had happened - the first a few years before after a long day at work! As I understand it, if your blood iron level is measured low on 3 separate occasions, it's "3 counts and you're out" and you can't donate ever again. I've been considering having another go. Your post is the impetus I need Brin. I'll get a session booked.

Quote Originally Posted by jakethemiller View Post
    Well done Brin, I use the Donor centre in Sheff, you can Park in Campo Lane Multi Storey and the Blood Girls will give you a ticket for it. I give Platelets instead of blood and they take them every month, i think i'm up somewhere near 300 donations.
    As you say every drop is needed. They usually take 2 lots of platelets from me, each one can treat 6 adults or 12 children, usually people on chemo i think. I don't think they take the bone marrow after 45 years so you may be too old, like me.
    Jake, well done fella and a great donation you provide! I was tested for platelets many years ago but was told I wasn't a suitable candidate but blood was okay. Life is so precious and others rely on people to donate and it's a small few seconds discomfort when the needle is inserted but, just think what you are providing to others in desperate need.

When I packed in all those years ago, I had just donated my 38th pint. Imagine had I continued for 18 years old onwards....shame on my efforts. Quick question, what's your favourite biscuit?
    Last edited by Brin; 10-03-2023 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BramleyMiller58 View Post
    See you in the queue then !
    I'm in for 12.20pm pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    Yes, been a blood donor for years, well over 60 donations. When my Mum died a couple of years ago I went through a bad time, got really run down but foolishly (with hindsight) attended a donor session. Needless to say my blood iron level was well down. This was the second time it had happened - the first a few years before after a long day at work! As I understand it, if your blood iron level is measured low on 3 separate occasions, it's "3 counts and you're out" and you can't donate ever again. I've been considering having another go. Your post is the impetus I need Brin. I'll get a session booked.
    Well done Redshank. Sorry to hear of your bad time but glad to hear you're going to give it another go.

Anyone else thinking of donating?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Many years ago I thought long and hard about donating blood so started when I was 18. Personal circumstances changed so I stopped and thought nothing more about it.

Fast forward 25+ years and where I worked at a the time wasn't too far from the Blood centre in Sheffield so I started to donate again. As time passed, I transferred to the companies Call Centre. Eventually, they allowed the mobile donor bus to visit so I enrolled for that. After a few years, some mardy git in Management decided it was taking too many hours out of the business so stopped them form visiting even though people were giving up their lunchtimes/breaks to donate. When this happened I just stopped donating again. I really tried to commit to visiting the Sheffield centre but parking around there was awful so, just packed it all in. On reflection that was poor on my show

Up to date now and after visiting my ill Mum in hospital, where she has received two blood transfusions as part of her recovery, has made me realise I need to start donating again so I made enquiries. Because I hadn't donated for several years, they required a letter of approval from my GP as I have Hypertension. Finally, the letter has been received and I can now start to re donate.

My good lady and Daughter are both in the nursing profession. Wife is a Senior Midwife and the Daughter is in her final and 3rd year of a degree at Sheffield Hallam Uni in order to qualify to become a Neo Natal Nurse for new borns. I've asked them both to join me in donating, they've both said they are frightened of it hurting so, I'm working on it. Maybe I could invite them along to see me donate? You never know that might help convince them to giving to what is a very needy cause.

Anyone else ever though of donating but never followed it up? Blood is always in great demand across the country so if you can, why not give it a go and do something that makes you feel proud. I'll have to re check to see if I still am, but I was also registered on the Anthony Nolan bone marrow transplant organisation.

Again apologies for the long winded post
    Well done, that man. I was a blood donor for a while (and my wife) until one day I had to go into hospital and have some blood put into me after some procedure. Turns out you can no longer give blood once you've had a transfusion yourself so I had to stop. Even if that rule has since been rescinded (I don't know) I'm far too old to be accepted now. I think the maximum age is 65. You know it doesn't hurt, Brin, but you can tell your wife and daughter that some old codger on the interweb backs you up, must be painless or I wouldn't have kept going back. Any of the rest of you on here thinking about it - get on with it. It doesn't hurt and you could be saving someone's' life. They need all groups of blood especially from black donors but doesn't matter who you are get down there - you might even have blood they're desperately short of. "Bon courage," as the French would say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast