+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Thread: Boycott MOTD

Lineker wins the case HMRC brought against him in a court of Law. I take that to mean he was able to prove that he really is an independent contractor.

I have no knowledge of AF's clients situation at the time so can't compare.

As AF appears to be comparing, does he know the intricacies of GL's reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Lineker wins the case HMRC brought against him in a court of Law. I take that to mean he was able to prove that he really is an independent contractor.

I have no knowledge of AF's clients situation at the time so can't compare.

As AF appears to be comparing, does he know the intricacies of GL's reasoning?
    No, I only have precedent to go on, that’s why I’m merely suspicious/cynical

It's an interesting one MA. Several other BBC reporters / presenters recently lost cases to HMRC over IR 35, yet GL has won his. My understanding was that the BBC have fairly standardized contracts for freelancers which mirror a lot, but not all, of the terms and conditions for employees.

Seems likely that GL either has clauses that differentiate his contract from that of those other freelancers who have lost to HMRC (and also, by inference, employees). This differentiation may also be why BBC couldn't gag him on Twitter? I don't know but it's intriguing.

However when all's said and done I don't see it as pure happenstance that the twitterstorm occurred at the same time as the HMRC verdict was being finalized: with the interpretation of the contracts being central to both issues.

I guess, from a tax strategy perspective, I have to say "well played, Sir". Or rather, well played to the crafty tax lawyers and accountants representing him - a sentiment seemingly (and counter intuitively) shared by rA above, in something of a vault face.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not entirely sure what has been ‘suspiciously convenient’ or ‘strategic’ but it seems he can win against his employers, win his tax case but still can’t win you over.
    After events of the last fortnight I’d suggest one of your short essays might be in order, ‘Lineker and Johnson, Contrast and Compare’...special attention should be given to examples of integrity and honesty.
    "Win against his employers"?? Hardly, both his victories have been over his non-employers, otherwise he'd have lost both if they were employers!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Seems suspiciously convenient for him, who knows how strategic it was but his comments certainly represented an ‘easy hit’ to cause controversy
    Quite how you think a legal case on tax technicalities can be influenced by what a person tweets is puzzling. I can see that the fact that the BBC having to back down as it had no power to sanction him might add weight to the fact that he is a free lance rather than an employee.

But in my experience these cases rest on the nitty gritty of the contract and the basis on which a person works for an organisation. Much of the detail of HMRC claim will have been discussed long ago and the decision being considered for many weeks prior to his tweet.

Its just possible, certainly given his past record of comments, that he tweeted a genuine personal observation and was actually surprised that the government and the right wing cancel culture oppressing media reaction was so over the top!!
    Last edited by swaledale; 29-03-2023 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    It's an interesting one MA. Several other BBC reporters / presenters recently lost cases to HMRC over IR 35, yet GL has won his. My understanding was that the BBC have fairly standardized contracts for freelancers which mirror a lot, but not all, of the terms and conditions for employees.

Seems likely that GL either has clauses that differentiate his contract from that of those other freelancers who have lost to HMRC (and also, by inference, employees). This differentiation may also be why BBC couldn't gag him on Twitter? I don't know but it's intriguing.

However when all's said and done I don't see it as pure happenstance that the twitterstorm occurred at the same time as the HMRC verdict was being finalized: with the interpretation of the contracts being central to both issues.

I guess, from a tax strategy perspective, I have to say "well played, Sir". Or rather, well played to the crafty tax lawyers and accountants representing him - a sentiment seemingly (and counter intuitively) shared by rA above, in something of a vault face.
    I'm surprised you think that's the case, tax cases in my experience focus on a lot of detail and the submissions and arguments would have been finalised long before Lineker tweeted. You seem to be suggesting that the judge considering the arguments of the case would be influenced at that stage by a tweet?

I'd be very surprised if it had any effect on the final outcome, in fact to suggest it might is a little naïve IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

And strangely enough, no-one mentioned Boris!
    No, you’re quite right, they didn’t. But it’s a bit of a silly, and perhaps convenient, distraction now isn’t it?
    I mean...does it really matter how a freelance sports journalist (you were quite right, GP) behaves compared with a former and discredited PM?
    We seem to be losing track of the important things, but my point was...in terms of role models within their various professions...pro-footballer/sports pundit v political journalist/politician there would appear to only be one winner in the ‘role model’ stakes.
    Worth thinking about that maybe, especially in the light of all the cr@p that was written about GL, not least on here, two or three weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I'm surprised you think that's the case, tax cases in my experience focus on a lot of detail and the submissions and arguments would have been finalised long before Lineker tweeted. You seem to be suggesting that the judge considering the arguments of the case would be influenced at that stage by a tweet?

I'd be very surprised if it had any effect on the final outcome, in fact to suggest it might is a little naïve IMO.
    Then we will have to differ in opinion

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    No, you’re quite right, they didn’t. But it’s a bit of a silly, and perhaps convenient, distraction now isn’t it?
    I mean...does it really matter how a freelance sports journalist (you were quite right, GP) behaves compared with a former and discredited PM?
    We seem to be losing track of the important things, but my point was...in terms of role models within their various professions...pro-footballer/sports pundit v political journalist/politician there would appear to only be one winner in the ‘role model’ stakes.
    Worth thinking about that maybe, especially in the light of all the cr@p that was written about GL, not least on here, two or three weeks ago.
    Rather than trying to convert this thread into yet another "rA bashes Boris part 27" thread, why not start another one rather than cross threading two different issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Rather than trying to convert this thread into yet another "rA bashes Boris part 27" thread, why not start another one rather than cross threading two different issues?
    Methinks you miss the point, again. Purposely?

You were pretty anti Lineker in that discussion. He seems to have the benefit of at least any doubt on his side and possibly has right on his side as well (or something in between). rA made a comparison. That's not Boris bashing IMO.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)