+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Boycott MOTD

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    rA if there is one truism that happens on here, its that certain parties when their opinions have been rebuffed and shown to be erroneous, they inevitably resort to off the cuff remarks framed as being funny but in all honesty designed to be a snide insult or they don't bother to respond.

Either way I simply smile to myself, post a response if I can be arsed or more often than not shrug my shoulders.
    I agree...as I do with your previous post...which will probably soon be forbidden, but honestly...this repetitive and boring sniping whenever you and I are in agreement is just so bloody juvenile.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I agree...as I do with your previous post...which will probably soon be forbidden, but honestly...this repetitive and boring sniping whenever you and I are in agreement is just so bloody juvenile.
    In my view this thread has run its course.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    In my view this thread has run its course.
    Tbh I think the same isn’t far off with the forum as a whole. When it becomes impossible to agree with another poster without the moderator perceiving such agreement as being more significant than the point being made, it’s probably time to take a back seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    No, but I've considered this as I'm learning Spanish. They conjugate words as such, that you could omit the pro-noun. Also, if something is plural and mixed gender, they use the male nouns. When it comes to words that have a gender, I don't think it has the same meaning, it's simply a way of explaining the language, eg I wouldn't stress over whether a microwave is a bloke or bird
    Great language to learn (even atrociously), I regret no longer having much chance to practise it although those I used to converse with are probably relieved. One great piece of advice regarding genders (also happens in French) that my daughter passed onto me and she got from her spanish teacher was to learn nouns including the tensed pronoun as a single entity, not seperately

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Great language to learn (even atrociously), I regret no longer having much chance to practise it although those I used to converse with are probably relieved. One great piece of advice regarding genders (also happens in French) that my daughter passed onto me and she got from her spanish teacher was to learn nouns including the tensed pronoun as a single entity, not seperately
    Great advice that, also means I can butcher 2 words at the same time!

Same in Dutch. As a near native speaker despite not being Dutch born, it's weird. There seems neither rhyme nor reason to the choice of which gender belongs to which object.

Both male and female nouns are "de". Neutral nouns are "het".

A boat is DE boot (pronounced the same as the English word boat). A ship is HET schip. To me they are exceedingly similar objects so why is one deemed to be female/male and the other neutral? Dutch people know it is as it is, they don't know why. There isn't a logic to it.

They do, however, have a workaround. You can "minimise" a female/male noun by adding "je" to the noun or "tje" if the noun ends in a vowel or a "y". If unsure you use this as a trick. If you don't know if BOOT is a de or a het word, you simply "cheat" by adding "je" and, hey presto, it becomes a neutral noun. So, DE boot becomes HET bootje.

In modern day Dutch language, they tend to use BOOT for smaller craft, generally used for pleasure. SCHIP is used for freight, commercial vessels. There is, however, no hard and fast, generally accepted grammar rule. Basically it is what it it and you need to know which is which, unless you use the cheat.

So Lineker wins his tax case over IR35 and contractor status. Worth best part of 5 million. Wonder if twittergate influenced that decision, if so a good punt on his part. We may never know if he meant what it said but it did at least show he was independent of bbc thought wise in

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    So Lineker wins his tax case over IR35 and contractor status. Worth best part of 5 million. Wonder if twittergate influenced that decision, if so a good punt on his part. We may never know if he meant what it said but it did at least show he was independent of bbc thought wise in
    Seems suspiciously convenient for him, who knows how strategic it was but his comments certainly represented an ‘easy hit’ to cause controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Seems suspiciously convenient for him, who knows how strategic it was but his comments certainly represented an ‘easy hit’ to cause controversy
    Not entirely sure what has been ‘suspiciously convenient’ or ‘strategic’ but it seems he can win against his employers, win his tax case but still can’t win you over.
    After events of the last fortnight I’d suggest one of your short essays might be in order, ‘Lineker and Johnson, Contrast and Compare’...special attention should be given to examples of integrity and honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not entirely sure what has been ‘suspiciously convenient’ or ‘strategic’ but it seems he can win against his employers, win his tax case but still can’t win you over.
    After events of the last fortnight I’d suggest one of your short essays might be in order, ‘Lineker and Johnson, Contrast and Compare’...special attention should be given to examples of integrity and honesty.
    No I’d compare and contrast Lineker with maybe 100, maybe more, ‘contractors’ who I’ve had the ‘pleasure’ of paying as contractors only after they stage managed some of the necessary steps to differentiate themselves from mere ‘employees’ (and therefore reduce their tax exposure, and, by extension, increase your tax burden and/or reduce the public services you obtain). Excuse my cynicism but unlike you I’ve ‘been there’. And strangely enough, no-one mentioned Boris!

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)