+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motd

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Motd

Some good news.
    Lineaker Shearer and Wright won’t be on it.

Even better news,there will be no pundits whatsoever..

Maybe people will realise how much better it is without them and the BBC will save a few million license fees worth of funds by not re-employing the overpaid, opinionated, smug dullards.

Quote Originally Posted by UbiqueLUFC33 View Post
    Maybe people will realise how much better it is without them and the BBC will save a few million license fees worth of funds by not re-employing the overpaid, opinionated, smug dullards.
    Careful what you wish for. Not saying they are prefect, but all those mentioned are at least ex-players and they can string a few words together to make a sentence (whether you agree with what they say, or not). There are those who present footballing programmes (highlights or others), who have no such experience and spout "stuff" based on not much of anything at all.

There was a whole load of heart-wrenching blurb here and elsewhere when Dickie Davies passed, and more recently when John Motson passed, why? They were good at their jobs, for sure, but neither had any first hand experience of what it is to be a football player in the highest order of the UK divisions, so why the contrast in treatment, one lambasted for their views expressed as ex-players, the other lauded having had no experience whatsoever of such experiences. Yes, one is commentating live(ish), the other passing judgement of performances delivered, but both depend on a knowledge of the game and how its played.

Not sure why Lineker, Shearer, Wright, or any of the others (Murphy, Richards etc) are "worthy" of any more criticism than any other commentator or "pundit". So what are we suggesting, football shown on TV without commentary of analysis? Yeah, good luck with getting the footballing authorities and the broadcasters to sign up to that
    Last edited by WTF11; 11-03-2023 at 12:05 AM.

Lineker is typical left hypocrite - disagree with him and he puts you in the far right box - absolute w@nker!

I’m not complaining about football punditry, although it is quite biased and shyte, it’s using that platform to express political views, which if I want to hear, I’ll watch a political based program.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    I’m not complaining about football punditry, although it is quite biased and shyte, it’s using that platform to express political views, which if I want to hear, I’ll watch a political based program.
    That's the point Billy, he was "using that platform" of Twitter (which is the most monumental pile of shyte no matter what subject), nothing to do with his work for the BBC, and just like anyone else on Twitter with a large following, if he expresses an opinion it gets noticed. You could say the same as he did, and not much would happen (sorry, but I suspect that's true! ).

If he was still presenting MOTD, and kept his comments to footballing matters, I don't see the issue. Same applies to all those who present, do your job, whilst presenting you keep to the subject you're paid to discuss. He and everyone else are entitled to their opinions and to express them wherever they will, agree with them or not is your/our choice, yes?

Fact is, if the BBC had ignored his comment, as its a non-footballing matter and expressed using a publicly-available social media platform, it would have gone flat in about 24 hours and equally likely that Linekers language would have been the subject of legitimate criticism. As it is, the man and the BBC become the news item, not the issue he commented about (which is arguably much more important to the man/woman in the street). The BBC fed the issue with the oxygen of publicity, they should have kept schtum (that's a real word, I thought spell check would call it out, but it didn't! ).

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    Lineker is typical left hypocrite - disagree with him and he puts you in the far right box - absolute w@nker!
    Some big tax issues too!

Gets better,no commentary either,just pure football to watch without any w@nkers to listen to.

Football Focus binned too ffs

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)