+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Net Zero, the true cost.

"In 2006, Professor Nicholas Stern produced a report on climate at the request of the British Government. It claimed that climate-related damage would dramatically increase in coming years and was hugely influential at the time. Two years later, Parliament passed the Climate Change Act, the seminal legislation that put Britain on its disastrous path to Net Zero. Seven**** years later, the U.S. economist Professor Roger Pielke observes that Stern’s predictions of climate and weather impacts were only true in one year – 2017 – and in dollar terms the cumulative overestimation in financial damage to date is about $1 trillion.

At the time, the economist Ruth Lea has probably never written a truer word. She told readers of the Daily Telegraph that “I have little doubt that the Government will use the Stern report as a political prop, under the guise of the moral case for saving the planet, for unilaterally raising energy costs”. In the years that followed, successive British Governments did just that, reducing a commitment to cheap local fossil fuel, and promoting unreliable green energy with massive subsidies paid by British consumers."

"Meanwhile the BBC has been caught out lying again, this time about the cost of running heat pumps. In an article in October 2021, ‘Six things the UK could do to tackle climate change’, the BBC ran a puff piece on heat pumps which claimed that ‘they are much cheaper to run’ than a gas boiler. The BBC’s Executive Complaints Unit has finally admitted that this was incorrect, and amended the article to read ‘They can have comparable running costs to a conventional gas heating system’. Unfortunately the readers who were badly misled by the original article are unlikely to read the correction.

Quite why it took the ECU six**** months to make their ruling on such a black and white case is a mystery. But it highlights once again that, when it comes to climate change and Net Zero, the BBC’s reporters think it is OK to make up their own ‘facts’ as they go along."

I'm surprised you are surprised mon ami, the government and the media are all making this up as they go along.

My question is "Why?"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I'm surprised you are surprised mon ami, the government and the media are all making this up as they go along.

My question is "Why?"
    I didn't say I was surprised, I most certainly am not, I'm merely pointing out the BBC lie.

As to why they are lying, probably for the same reason the Guardian is lying about face masks and our MPs don't want to discuss vaccine harms.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "Meanwhile the BBC has been caught out lying again, this time about the cost of running heat pumps. In an article in October 2021, ‘Six things the UK could do to tackle climate change’, the BBC ran a puff piece on heat pumps which claimed that ‘they are much cheaper to run’ than a gas boiler. The BBC’s Executive Complaints Unit has finally admitted that this was incorrect, and amended the article to read ‘They can have comparable running costs to a conventional gas heating system’. Unfortunately the readers who were badly misled by the original article are unlikely to read the correction.

Quite why it took the ECU six**** months to make their ruling on such a black and white case is a mystery. But it highlights once again that, when it comes to climate change and Net Zero, the BBC’s reporters think it is OK to make up their own ‘facts’ as they go along."

We live in on an old farm, 300 years old so from what I hear now is not ideal. However the surveys said we would be fine and qualified for the full grant and signed up to have a heat pump installed. Convid then struck and we decided not to go through with it. Talk about dodging a bullet.

A few hundred yards away, another farm house, much smaller though, went from £200 a month electric bill to £1000 a month! They have since managed to get it to around £700 and are now in the process of taking it out. I try to warn as many people as I can about these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Untinted Glasses View Post
    We live in on an old farm, 300 years old so from what I hear now is not ideal. However the surveys said we would be fine and qualified for the full grant and signed up to have a heat pump installed. Convid then struck and we decided not to go through with it. Talk about dodging a bullet.

A few hundred yards away, another farm house, much smaller though, went from £200 a month electric bill to £1000 a month! They have since managed to get it to around £700 and are now in the process of taking it out. I try to warn as many people as I can about these things.
    Everything I've ever read about them indicates they're completely useless and a waste of money, the alarm bells started ringing for me when I noticed it was almost exclusively the Eco Loons who were so enthusiastically pushing for them. You know the time of day UG, I'm a bit surprised you fell for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Everything I've ever read about them indicates they're completely useless and a waste of money, the alarm bells started ringing for me when I noticed it was almost exclusively the Eco Loons who were so enthusiastically pushing for them. You know the time of day UG, I'm a bit surprised you fell for it.
    TBH Sinkov, I woke up after this. I had planned this just a few months before convid. It was a month or 3 into convid when I started to see everything for what it is. Before this I was not a sceptical person at all, really rather naive if I am being honest. It's weird how I have changed over the last couple of years.

I know 2 people in france who got them installed with grants but they are useless in cold weather, there's not enough heat to exchange.

I read this about them from a retired plumber.

"New build houses are all built on shoestring budgets, even the high end ones, and are generally poorly built. The big problem with heat pumps is the pipe bore sizes need to be larger than for a standard gas or oil fired system, as do the radiators, and the cable sizes to run it which makes the system more expensive. The hot water cylinder also needs to be larger, and needs to be compatible with the heat pump itself. For a family of four the hot water cylinder needs to be at least three hundred litres. More expense. These are not cheap. Guaranteed those with not enough hot water have a hot water cylinder half that size. If the builder skimps on any of these the system is useless. As for retro fitting a heat pump to an existing central heating system, it won't work. Everything needs to be ripped out. Pipe work, radiators, and of course the hot water cylinder, starting from scratch."

"The Guardian view on the IPCC warning: a last chance to save the planet"

The good old Grauniad, they never give up, I believe this is the 451st last chance to save the planet.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)