+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Manager

The Manager

Gru sorry for the long post
    This isn’t a post saying he should go or anything silly like that, however I do think he deserves some criticism. Having listened to last nights post-match interview and some others recently, I have some observations.
    1. Language Used – He uses phrases and words that separate him from the players, it doesn’t come across as if he feels accountable. He keeps saying that they lack quality, they fail to execute, he can’t change it all at once, he has to work with what he has. These are not good phrases, remember the players will hear this. The worst players last night, 3 of them were his Leo, Hugill (never a captain) and Fosu. I get the feeling he is mentally preparing his excuses for failure, projecting blame elsewhere. I am a qualified psychologist so I do have some knowledge in this area.
    2. The Wood Situation – He has not dealt with this well. We have lost 3 quality CB’s and Wood the club captain with his passion for the club and all that experience and leadership ability can’t even make the squad!! How do you think that the players that have worked with Wood for sometime feel about that? Now obviously something went on, and MTs decision is to isolate Wood, sending his naughty son to his bedroom. For MT not to deal with it and manage the situation so he doesn’t loose Wood from his plans is a failure as a manager. You cannot tell me that having Woody on that pitch last night driving them and motivating them wouldn’t be a benefit. Peltier tries but he is no leader and no CB either. I am not saying Wood is the saviour but I am saying his treatment is harsh and the team suffer with him not been involved.
    3. Motivation – I do like his calm approach, but he doesn’t come across as a motivator, more of someone that sits back and tells you what you are doing wrong. He admits in his interview that some players do not have the self-belief to be able to cross a ball or execute the management instructions. He adds to that a comment about you can only do so much!! Well I am sorry Matt that is what you are paid to do, to train and motivate the players.
    4. Set Pieces – We look poor defending them under MT and we fail to create from them, the only player capable of putting in a good set piece is Fergie, this is costing us and clearly needs more work.
    Now there are many things to like about MT, he spots things in games and changes them to improve us (done in both Birmingham and Preston) but I do not get the feeling he can lift this squad to win 3 or 4 games out of 9 to keep us up, the players don’t look up for a fight, don’t seem to have the belief (confirmed by MT) and I don’t see any leadership and drive with the ability to lift and motivate the players. I know a lot of people won’t agree with me, that doesn’t matter we all have our opinions and this is a discussion board. I hope he proves me wrong; I want us to stay up so much. Let us hope we turn-up on Saturday and get 1 of those wins we need.

From what I've heard ( from two separate, reliable individuals that work at the club) he's handled the Wood issue very well considering the background to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    From what I've heard ( from two separate, reliable individuals that work at the club) he's handled the Wood issue very well considering the background to it.
    Grist, obviously I do not have the background, it just doesn't feel right.

Yep I’m not sure people understand the situation.
    The Wood that fans see is not necessarily what happens behind the scenes.

Ruined his shoes walking on that pitch yesterday, get your wallet out Tony

All managers have their favourites ,and their own ideas, but to not involve Wood at all,seems stupid given the alternatives.

Genuine question not having a dig but are you suggesting the Manager should play someone who he doesn’t trust to do the job.
    Just to appease the supporters.

This is a well written post and I agree with it in many ways.

I think one glaring omission is the fact that MT is dealing with the absence of some very critical players and a lot of what he says about lacking quality, having to work with what he has and only being able to do so much refers to his frustration with this. That it comes over as a criticism of his players is an assumption which the players themselves may not necessarily read in that way. He still needs to be careful with his words, though since they carry weight whatever his intentions may be.

I tend to agree with Derbymiller's points about him distancing himself from the situation more than he should but he is a young relatively inexperienced manager who has never worked in this league before and he is finding his way. It doesn't excuse them but I believe he will improve and seems to learn quickly.

I won't comment on the Wood situation since I have no knowledge about it. There does appear to be something more than simple bloody-mindedness going on.

What is the background to it Grist?

Can't say but I trust my sources and I'm not going to risk them getting into trouble.

Suffice to say that Wood is about 40 miles too far north

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast