+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: QOS v Fallirk

Well played Queens!

That’s more like it 😀

Marvin is trying to invoke the Livingston matre of fitness and work rate to compete against higher paid and talented players to start with. If this is the case I for one can buy into this philosophy and hopefully he will be able to recruit the players who will buy into this come the Summer. Mon the South.

Spike, it is the only way to compete in a playing field that is not level. Even the very best of players can't cope with the opposition bursting a gut for every ball and then chasing it down when they lose it. As you say, that's the only reason Livingston are where they are, because their home gates don't merit their league position.
    Throwing money at Palmerston will probably never bring results, but hard graft and 100% self belief may very well allow the team to punch above their weight
    That has been my philosophy in life, and for me, it's the only way to move Queens forward.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Spike, it is the only way to compete in a playing field that is not level. Even the very best of players can't cope with the opposition bursting a gut for every ball and then chasing it down when they lose it. As you say, that's the only reason Livingston are where they are, because their home gates don't merit their league position.
    Throwing money at Palmerston will probably never bring results, but hard graft and 100% self belief may very well allow the team to punch above their weight
    That has been my philosophy in life, and for me, it's the only way to move Queens forward.
    Jardi this hard work concept is quite correct, but no matter who pulls on that shirt, hard work should be a given. I have never bought into the argument that players are good because they work hard in a game. This is why they are paid. We could have 11 amateurs players playing that will work hard. That does not make them a good side. You still need ability coupled with the hard work and the ability is what money buys.
    Players not working hard should be booted by a manager. There should always be a desire to win and a competitive edge to every player. If not then they should not be playing.

The one thing that stood out for me yesterday was how aggressive queens were. For the first time this season I seen players standing up to the opposition and not allowing themselves to be bullied. It started with a wee skirmish with McKechnie in the first half and continued throughout in a game where there seemed to be a bit of needle. Falkirk players appeared to think they just had to turn up to get the points and were caught out when queens fought for everything. And when Falkirk players tried to get aggressive the queens players stood up to it and gave it back with interest. That’s the first I’ve seen it this season. It showed with patrons reaction to the Falkirk fans and the keepers reaction with the queens fans at the end of the game. The one thing that did surprise me was hearing some fans giving the keeper stick. I don’t understand it as for me he’s the best we have had in years

Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    That’s more like it 😀
    Yes thoroughly enjoyed the game and the fight and controlled aggression showed by Queens. Sorry to hear that Alec Wilson
    is hanging up his microphone after 30 years sterling work as the Palmerston tannoy operator. He did go out with a bang though when he screamed DIVE DIVE near the end at one of the Bairns players - I wonder how that went down with the directors ?

Fatfan, you and I have not always agreed, but I'm 100% on the page with you regarding desire, fight, controlled aggression etc. My main point though is that although Queens will never have the budget to bring in a team of Stephen Dobbie s, we can put together a squad of Patons and if they all pull together and give 100%, they will tend to beat the team of better players who can't handle the high press, chase every ball until the final whistle attitude. ........it simply wears them down. You won't win every game with that mentality, because occasionally the team with the better players will 'click'.
    Give me a team of tryers who are hungry for every ball and a manager like Marvin who will expect nothing less than 100% and you will have a team vying for promotion without putting the club in financial jeopardy.
    Alec Wilson......what can I say? An absolute legend, and like Garry Lineker, he was simply voicing his opinion, which happened to be the same as every Queens fan in the ground. Was it simply human error leaving the mike on? Probably, - and if so, surely a reprieve should be in order? Shouting "dive, dive" is hardly a sack able offence, despite it being extremely embarrassing for the BOD at that precise time.
    With the benefit of 48 hours to dwell on the rights and wrongs of a simple slip, surely Alec should be given another chance....... If he wants it?
    30 years is a lot to give to leave under a cloud for simply stating what everyone was thinking. If he'd used foul and abusive language, perhaps questioning the parentage of the Falkirk diver, ....(sorry player,) then some sort of sanction might be merited, but anyway.....food for thought folks.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Fatfan, you and I have not always agreed, but I'm 100% on the page with you regarding desire, fight, controlled aggression etc. My main point though is that although Queens will never have the budget to bring in a team of Stephen Dobbie s, we can put together a squad of Patons and if they all pull together and give 100%, they will tend to beat the team of better players who can't handle the high press, chase every ball until the final whistle attitude. ........it simply wears them down. You won't win every game with that mentality, because occasionally the team with the better players will 'click'.
    Give me a team of tryers who are hungry for every ball and a manager like Marvin who will expect nothing less than 100% and you will have a team vying for promotion without putting the club in financial jeopardy.
    Alec Wilson......what can I say? An absolute legend, and like Garry Lineker, he was simply voicing his opinion, which happened to be the same as every Queens fan in the ground. Was it simply human error leaving the mike on? Probably, - and if so, surely a reprieve should be in order? Shouting "dive, dive" is hardly a sack able offence, despite it being extremely embarrassing for the BOD at that precise time.
    With the benefit of 48 hours to dwell on the rights and wrongs of a simple slip, surely Alec should be given another chance....... If he wants it?
    30 years is a lot to give to leave under a cloud for simply stating what everyone was thinking. If he'd used foul and abusive language, perhaps questioning the parentage of the Falkirk diver, ....(sorry player,) then some sort of sanction might be merited, but anyway.....food for thought folks.
    A statement from Alex on the Doonhamer Chat Facebook site : -

"All things come to an end... After 30 years of extreme highs and extreme lows it's time to hang up the announcer's microphone at Palmerston... nothing to do with any pressure on my style of "humour" over the years it's just that I have more pressing musical engagements to fulfill in the future... hopefully, I'll still be able to attend home matches... it was nice to sign off with a victory and what I thought was a humorous jibe at diving cheats, too prevalent in the Scottish game... Up the Queens!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    A statement from Alex on the Doonhamer Chat Facebook site : -

"All things come to an end... After 30 years of extreme highs and extreme lows it's time to hang up the announcer's microphone at Palmerston... nothing to do with any pressure on my style of "humour" over the years it's just that I have more pressing musical engagements to fulfill in the future... hopefully, I'll still be able to attend home matches... it was nice to sign off with a victory and what I thought was a humorous jibe at diving cheats, too prevalent in the Scottish game... Up the Queens!"
    Have a guid retirement Alex and hopefully you can point the board in the direction of a suitable replacement. No disrespect but the lady (probably a last - minute replacement) when you were absent a few games ago was away out of her depth and the club has to appoint someone a little bit more professional.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)