+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarets v City - Quarter-Finals FA Cup - Match Preview.

For me there is no ceiling.
    That'll do me.

Its the FA Cup.... Anything could happen. How many times over the years have we heard "That was a shock"? I will be watching it 'Live'... No, sorry, on the TV.

Just listened to VK's interview for tomorrows game. A great line when asked how does he think we will get on? "They are looking to win the Champions League and we are looking at winning the Championship"...

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Matelot View Post
    Its the FA Cup.... Anything could happen. How many times over the years have we heard "That was a shock"? I will be watching it 'Live'... No, sorry, on the TV.
    Odds are with Burnley - CM..... because they win or we win......City can't lose.

the need for speed - direct, and fast on the counter.

"I remember attending the 1973 Charity Shield game when newly promoted Burnley were given the chance to take on Manchester City at Maine Road and the Clarets were given little or no hope of beating the mercurial Blues. A single Colin Waldron headed goal won the day for the Clarets on that warm Manchester Saturday afternoon,"

I was there as well mon ami, and saying it was warm is understating it a bit, it was bloody sweltering, I can still feel the sweat running down my back even 50 years later. That Waldron goal, was he on the end of one of those very clever Adamson inspired free-kick routines that were so successful for a couple of seasons ? I think so, but it's a long time ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "I remember attending the 1973 Charity Shield game when newly promoted Burnley were given the chance to take on Manchester City at Maine Road and the Clarets were given little or no hope of beating the mercurial Blues. A single Colin Waldron headed goal won the day for the Clarets on that warm Manchester Saturday afternoon,"

I was there as well mon ami, and saying it was warm is understating it a bit, it was bloody sweltering, I can still feel the sweat running down my back even 50 years later. That Waldron goal, was he on the end of one of those very clever Adamson inspired free-kick routines that were so successful for a couple of seasons ? I think so, but it's a long time ago now.
    Dougie Collins chipped one in mon ami, and Waldo placed his header perfectly, I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Attachment 23795

This is something I posted on another forum, under another name, 15 years ago.

"I was at the game and the Waldron goal that won it came from one of the best worked free-kicks you'll ever see. It absolutely ripped the City defence apart and I'm sure it would be succesful if it was tried again now, at least for a couple of games before the TV pundits got hold of it and analysed it. Then it probably wouldn't work for another 30 years."

So it was the free-kick routine. It was a very clever routine, but the sort of thing every team does these days, Innovative in it's time though.

Prediction. Mahrez will completly boss Maatsen and either Foden or Grealish will own the other side. Roberts and Maatsen will keep drifting into midfield leaving massive gaps behind them for the crosses to come flooding in to either Haaland or Alvarez.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Matelot View Post
    for the crosses to come flooding in to either Haaland or Alvarez.
    Or Muric.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)