+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JD Sports / Sports Direct

The difference back in the 60’s and 70’s when most of us were at school and then starting work is that we were taught by people who’d fought in the wars or who had been through national service.

It was all about standards and personal and collective discipline, they drilled this into us.

I remember my first day as a frozen food rep, I was out being trained by the assistant sales manager and the first call was a supermarket in Yardley Wood.

Whilst he dealt with the owner I stood and listened intently and he suddenly barked at me……”get your hands out of your pockets” …….I didn’t half jump to attention.

He lead a lovely bloke was Alan, he was 58 at that time and so was born in 1926, he told me afterwards that it was a real lack of respect towards the shop owner to be stood with hands in pockets.

He was right.

If only that was the only issue these days.

There are few boundaries and consequences these days for poor attitudes unfortunately .

Minimum wage apparently is minimum effort in many cases today which misses the point by a country mile .

It's called self respect and taking pride in what you do irrespective of your weekly wage .

Have some self respect and pride and you will climb the ladder and go on to better things .

Have a couldn't give a fuq attitude will never leave you .

Saying that it was different when I first started work in 1978 , if you were lucky enough to get a job as Thatcher went to work throwing millions on the dole you looked after it because if you didn't you weren't getting another job anytime soon .

I stuck one particular job out for 3 years before eventually moving on to better things , terrible conditions , pyss poor bullying management and a light pay packet .

Looking back I wouldn't change it because hardship builds character and it made me appreciate the decent jobs I got later on in life .

It’s far harder for the youth today than at any other time in terms of jobs - getting on the housing ladder and any help whether that’s benefits or seeing someone for mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    It’s far harder for the youth today than at any other time in terms of jobs - getting on the housing ladder and any help whether that’s benefits or seeing someone for mental illness.
    I wouldn't disagree with that but the point is about attitudes towards adversity .

The attitudes of today in my experience differ from when I was younger .

What exactly do the younger generations do about their lives ?

That's not a one size fits all by the way but generally speaking .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with that but the point is about attitudes towards adversity .

I agree with you but different in the USA. Kids are politer - open doors - give up seats - respect the police - respect the flag!

Perhaps one of the rules for immigration is conscription to the military or those parents kids conscript when 18. Should be no objections as surely an individual would jump through hoops for a passport.

Must say jobs were easier in the 70’s to get from my experience ( had loads of offers ) - easier to borrow money - easier to meet the opposite s ex in bars/clubs although
    ( possibly Covid caused a big issue) and almost immediate access to a GP for mental health etc etc. Even education was better years ago with the grammar school 11+ for the bright kids.

I really feel for kids of today as far worse off than when I was a kid!

I completely agree.

I don’t see why it’s harder today than when I was leaving school in 78.

Unemployment was around three million, we we warned by our careers master to take the first job offer we got whether we wanted it or not.

Today there’s far more job vacancies than people to fill them.

Me and most of my mates took horrible low paid jobs that bore no bearing on what suited us, I was in a garage earning £18.60 a week.

My old man told me he wasn’t having me sat at home on my a r s e, I needed to work and that it was easier to get a better job if you were actually in employment and those were wise words.

The housing ladder!?

It was a nightmare trying to save a deposit in the 80’s and then facing 18% interest charges on your mortgage……I have never been as poor as I was when I owned my first house, we were hand to mouth for years.

I can’t comment about mental health services as I didn’t need them back then.

I don’t think life is harder now in most ways, it’s actually easier, everything is so connected due to technology.

It’s mindset that’s changed, too many parents of our generation ( so I blame us ) have encouraged our kids not to do this job or that job.

We’ve allowed them to take “gap years” or longer, we’ve made their lives too easy and protected them too much in so many ways and again I put myself in that category.

Knowing what I know now, if I could go back 35 years I would completely change the way I brought my three kids up.

Recently visited my niece (school teacher) and was engaged in conversation with her daughter, who had just secured a waitress position, prior to University.

When I asked why so few hours, and were more available, was told 'Minimum pay, minimum effort', with parental approval.

I became the grumpy old man when I pointed out that payment was usually a reflection on the effort given, not the other way round.

Embarrassed silence

Quote Originally Posted by Titchfieldbaggie View Post
    Recently visited my niece (school teacher) and was engaged in conversation with her daughter, who had just secured a waitress position, prior to University.

When I asked why so few hours, and were more available, was told 'Minimum pay, minimum effort', with parental approval.

I became the grumpy old man when I pointed out that payment was usually a reflection on the effort given, not the other way round.

Embarrassed silence
    That is a shocking yet brilliant and predictable story Titch.

Not surprised to hear this being supported by a teacher either if I’m being honest.

My son’s job isn’t mega money, he earns around £12 an hour but has the opportunity to do overtime.

He’s always first to put his hand up for the extra hours as a lot of this involves driving which he enjoys.

He’s regularly up at 3.00am to 4.00am nowadays and will do from the West mids down to Ipswich or Southampton and Exeter and then get back and do a full days work afterwards.

It’s taken him a long time to find a work ethic but even he’s worked out that if you multiply 60 to 70 hours x £12 he’s earning more than he ever thought possible.

I love talking to young people when I’m in a cafe or shop and it’s easy to spot the ones who are likely to do well in life, enthusiasm and being chatty and engaged are always a plus.

I do think the advent of the smart phone has had a dramatic affect on todays late t e e n s to 30 generation, it seems to have robbed a lot of them of interpersonal skills.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I completely agree.

I don’t see why it’s harder today than when I was leaving school in 78.

Unemployment was around three million, we we warned by our careers master to take the first job offer we got whether we wanted it or not.

Today there’s far more job vacancies than people to fill them.

Me and most of my mates took horrible low paid jobs that bore no bearing on what suited us, I was in a garage earning £18.60 a week.

My old man told me he wasn’t having me sat at home on my a r s e, I needed to work and that it was easier to get a better job if you were actually in employment and those were wise words.

The housing ladder!?

It was a nightmare trying to save a deposit in the 80’s and then facing 18% interest charges on your mortgage……I have never been as poor as I was when I owned my first house, we were hand to mouth for years.

I can’t comment about mental health services as I didn’t need them back then.

I don’t think life is harder now in most ways, it’s actually easier, everything is so connected due to technology.

It’s mindset that’s changed, too many parents of our generation ( so I blame us ) have encouraged our kids not to do this job or that job.

We’ve allowed them to take “gap years” or longer, we’ve made their lives too easy and protected them too much in so many ways and again I put myself in that category.

Knowing what I know now, if I could go back 35 years I would completely change the way I brought my three kids up.
    I worked 12 hours a day and 7 days a week to save up for my first house in 1987 , as you say it wasn't as easy as it's made out for our generation .

I was then hit with the interest rates rise as you were Mick and the deep recession , we cut back , simple as and I got a weekend job to pay the mortgage , labouring for a sparky .

My wife has two kids to her first marriage , they've both left home but rent , both of them earn over £40k a year and living with partners working and moan they can't get on the property ladder .

Here's the thing , both drive top of the range cars and on finance , they like to go out clubbing , meals out , cinema , two holidays a year abroad and own every tech gadget known to man .

Give me fecking strength .

I worked 12 hours a day and 7 days a week to save up for my first house in 1987 , as you say it wasn't as easy as it's made out for our generation .

I was then hit with the interest rates rise as you were Mick and the deep recession , we cut back , simple as and I got a weekend job to pay the mortgage , labouring for a sparky .

My wife has two kids to her first marriage , they've both left home but rent , both of them earn over £40k a year and living with partners working and moan they can't get on the property ladder .

Here's the thing , both drive top of the range cars and on finance , they like to go out clubbing , meals out , cinema , two holidays a year abroad and own every tech gadget known to man .

Give me fecking strength .
    I can only agree with this mate.

There’s a reason why you see so many top end cars on the roads these days, it’s down to having them on the drip.

I see it in my own family, the 30’s to 40’s are not interested in saving, it’s all about the now!

All of my kids have had the benefit of having been able to get their houses due to what my wife and I saved and gave to them as large deposits.

I was hoping the. Penny would drop and that they’d take heed and start to do the same in readiness to help their own kids one the time but it’s not looking like that.

They all live for today and don’t prepare for the future.

That’s fine, but when the s h I t hits the fan for all three of them it’s me and the wife they have to turn to for help.

It seems that this generation want lots of help but are then going to expect their own kids to fend more for themselves in the coming years!

Great game plan by them! 🤣🤣

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)