+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Romared Match Thoughts Barnsley v Sheffield Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Yes credit to him Jules I’m for one quick to criticise the crap stuff but forgot to mention his performance.
    For our fourth goal many others would have stopped play for a free kick ( twice ) in the build up but he allowed play to go on.
    I thought it’d be brought back. For me he let stuff go, and stopped it when it was right to.
    If we don’t get second, we will take this ref to Wembley..lol

Two great balls from Luke Thomas in the last two games ending in goals. ….. Nice to see him back innit?

Deserved win for me. The shape of the team is excellent with everybody knowing their jobs. The second half performance by our boys was really good imo. I know Wendy drew it back to 2-2 but we always looked a threat and created openings ourselves.

A couple on here have said Wendy dominated second aif but i disagree. We had a 2-1 lead to defend and the full backs held a defensive position until the game went to 2-2 which was to Wednesdays credit, they deserved it.

It's the game management that I'm trying to point out here. Despite our shape we still carried a goal threat. Duff is very clever. We always looked to preserve our 2 goal lead but without being ultra defensive.

As it happened Wendy drew the scores level and deservedly so. They 'were' top of the league for a reason. However, we had another gear in us by pushing the wing backs up and challenging for a win despite the loss of our 2 goal lead.

The substitutions were all like for like to give us fresh legs & impetus and it worked. We ran out deserved winners imo.

Fecking great result and performance lads.

This impromptu break with the cancellation of the Ipswich game is needed after our efforts of late.

All we can do now is carry on our momentum by winning at Exeter.

Who knows what this season will bring?

After tonight I'd like to think we can beat anyone and the momentum will carry us through

It's all about opinions and this will not go down well amongst the emotion of a win against Wednesday but I thought Wednesday deserved a point from the game. A draw would have been a fairer result.

After the initial burst leading to the two goals in quick succession I thought Wednesday dominated the middle hour of the game but failed to take the several opportunities they created. They were also denied a clear penalty for handball.

But it's all about the scoreline at the end, particularly at this time in the season. I thought March might be a crunch time but with the top four in a hot streak of form and winning most games it is largely "as you were". With games running out it needs two of Wednesday, Plymouth and Ipswich to have a bad run for a top two position to be achieved. From then it is the lottery of the Play Offs.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 22-03-2023 at 07:10 AM.

On paper Plymouth have the best run in--

Morecambe A
    Lincoln H
    Exeter A
    Shrewsbury A
    Cambridge H
    Bristol R H
    Burton H
    Port Vale A

Wednesday's run in gives them a good opportunity--

Forest Green A
    Cheltenham A
    Lincoln H
    Oxford A
    Accrington H
    Burton A
    Bristol Rov A
    Exeter H
    Shrewsbury A
    Derby A

Ipswich look to have a tougher task--

Derby A
    Wycombe H
    Cheltenham A
    Charlton H
    Port Vale H
    Peterborough A
    Barnsley A
    Exeter H
    Fleetwood A
    Last edited by SBRed48; 22-03-2023 at 07:39 AM.

Edit--the Wed fixture against Derby on the final day is a home game.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    It's all about opinions and this will not go down well amongst the emotion of a win against Wednesday but I thought Wednesday deserved a point from the game. A draw would have been a fairer result.

After the initial burst leading to the two goals in quick succession I thought Wednesday dominated the middle hour of the game but failed to take the several opportunities they created. They were also denied a clear penalty for handball.

But it's all about the scoreline at the end, particularly at this time in the season. I thought March might be a crunch time but with the top four in a hot streak of form and winning most games it is largely "as you were". With games running out it needs two of Wednesday, Plymouth and Ipswich to have a bad run for a top two position to be achieved. From then it is the lottery of the Play Offs.
    Yep - Wendy are by far the best team we have played this season.
    Always thought Smith was a donkey but he played well.

I thought Wendy dominated especially in the 2nd half until Big Ted and Thomas came on - then the Wendy defence had much more to think about.
    Tedic causing problems for them with his height and strength - resulting in the ball bobbling about and dropping to a Barnsley player for the 3rd and 4th goals.
    And what a brilliant bit of play by Thomas for the 4th - holds the ball up and plays a sublime pass.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post

I agree with most of that SB apart from the handball. If you’re jumping for the ball and your arms are raised out wide then yes it would be a penalty but his arms were low and in a natural position when you’re jumping so I think it would have been a bit unfair he was penalised.

This was the month when we were supposed to come unstuck , well wins against Derby, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Wycombe & the Wendies have put pay to that theory , I do not think we will make the autos but at least we can go into the lottery of the play offs fearing no one . Last night was fantastic, great atmosphere , great result & for me deserved , if anyone thought that a team at the top of the league would not put us under extreme pressure they need to give their head a shake, but we coped with it & still had enough left in the tank to win the game , previous sides would have tried to hang on for a point but not these lads, same as Wycombe last saturday they kept going & got their rewards , brilliant night , loved it .

I can't recall a post saying we would come unstuck in March Shads. I can recall a few saying March was the crunch time which could define the season, for good or bad.

As it has played out the top four kept on winning most of their games so it hasn't really been decisive.

Now for the run in.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 22-03-2023 at 11:24 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast