+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NYS Drainage

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    EFL could instruct the Millers to put up, Life Buoy Stations around the ground, for
    the rest of the season, with Whitby Life Boat on stand by.

Have we anybody called Noah on the Millers staff.
    Noah we haven't

The stadium was raised 2 metres, using spoil from Malty pit tips. All 4 stands rest on it. The playing area was laid after they were built.

It was filled with different filtering substrates, then sand and soil for the playing surface.

Because of the River Don, all water was diverted away because of contiminating the river with the growing fertilisers.

Cant imagine what happened to that plan on Saturday.

I worked in providing materials, that make football pitches, golf courses, racecourses, cricket pitches etc.

Football pitches & racecourses are mainly made of Rootzone, which the normal mix being 70% washed
    sand & 30% soil, which is then screened, & ready to use. The rootzone mix allows quicker removal of
    water from the turfs surface.
    The fairways on golf courses are made using Rootzone
    Also the greens, but the greens have a top dressing, sometimes using a grit sand / loam [soil], called
    Quartz top dressing, or washed sand / loam [soil] called top dressing, which is mixed & goes through a
    burner, very expensive.
    A 60/40 or 70/30 mix of washed sand / loam [soil] ie Rootzone screened ideal for laying a lawn, you get
    good drainage with this.
    Golf courses & racecourses liked a 60/40 rootzone mix, to fill divots on the racecourse / fairway, also
    called divot mix.
    Some firms use a dry screened sand / loam [soil] mix, but you find that dry screened sand has a lot of
    silt in it, so the mix does not disperse water, but holds it.
    Where washed sand takes the silt out, so better to use.
    We provided different top dressings, plus rootzone, divot mix to all golf courses, from Isle of Wight up
    to Fort William.
    Provided rootzone / divot mix to football grounds, at one time Wembley Stadium, Huddersfield Town
    etc.
    Racecourses included Newcastle, Beverley etc.
    We provided the clay loam for the cricket pitches of Yorkshire Cricket Club etc.

If I had known it was going to put down as much water as it did I could have organised half a dozen submersible pumps - mates rates for TS.
    On second thoughts I might have needed a dozen submersible pumps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123