+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Martin Gory

Martin Gory

Name:  FAB7472B-12EC-4C0B-88CF-D98930B95784.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  12.8 KB

Barnsley Football Club is saddened to learn of the recent passing of our former player Martin Gorry (68).

A player who emerged through the youth system at Oakwell, left-back Martin Gorry had an impressive start to life as a professional, going on to make 34 league appearances for the Reds before - in 1977 - a move to Newcastle United at just 21-years-old.

The Derby-born defender made just one appearance for the Geordies, but enjoyed a spell at another North East outfit, Hartlepool United where he was named the club's Player of the Year for 1979.

Gorry emigrated to New Zealand a couple of years later and became a legendary figure with Rotorua City, playing in his adopted homeland up until 1991.

Martin passed away in Rotorua earlier this month. As a Club, our thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time.

Remember Martin very well a name that always springs to mind in relation to the left back position at Oakwell.
    We didn’t see the best of Martin as like many others moved on at a young age.
    RIP Martin.

Sad news , at the time he played for us he was one of my favourite players , I was delighted for him when he got a big move to Newcastle which at the time helped us out big time financially & gave him the opportunity his ability deserved , RIP Martin , you have been taken too young , condolences to your family , you will always be remembered .

A think Eths mentioned him a bit agu on here cos ad mistaken him fo Dean Gorre when we wo on abart ex players

RIP

I think I did Pass.

Sad loss RIP Martin, thoughts are with your family.

Cracking attacking left back which was a bit of novelty in the mid 70's .

Martin would have been brilliant in Duff's team of today .

RIP Martin once a red always a red .