+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to reality

Back to reality

We have just 19 outfield players on the books.
    5 of them are injured, so everyone is out there in the match day squad. We are fielding our best (only) squad every match. We are not able to rest players as we did earlier in the season. A lot of people talk about when Scott is back but personally I am not so sure he will be. Hope I’m wrong but go back and listen to what LW said in his pre Barnet match interview when asked why we had signed Junior Morias. He talked about Macca and Scott and “cover”.
    Hopefully we can win our last 7 games and hope for some good fortune. But we have also got to be able to change the squad from the best footballing team in the league to the best cup winning one.
    Two cup games is probably what is in store, possibly including extra time and penalties - that is both scoring from and saving them. We need players and management to have the different mentality and tactics required for cup games.
    ps. We still have time (just) to shore up our defence
    Last edited by 1955pie; 20-03-2023 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    We have just 19 outfield players on the books.
    5 of them are injured, so everyone is out there in the match day squad. We are fielding our best (only) squad every match. We are not able to rest players as we did earlier in the season. A lot of people talk about when Scott is back but personally I am not so sure he will be. Hope I’m wrong but go back and listen to what LW said in his pre Barnet match interview when asked why we had signed Junior Morias. He talked about Macca and Scott and “cover”.
    Hopefully we can win our last 7 games and hope for some good fortune. But we have also got to be able to change the squad from the best footballing team in the league to the best cup winning one.
    Two cup games is probably what is in store, possibly including extra time and penalties - that is both scoring from and saving them. We need players and management to have the different mentality and tactics required for cup games.
    ps. We still have time (just) to shore up our defence
    “Jeez - its all a total disaster - We’re all doomed I tell ya”

I'd sooner have a small squad packed with quality than a squad twice the size half-filled with dead wood, like we used to have. Every player in our squad these days is capable of making a positive contribution, which certainly wasn't the case a few years ago. There was a time when our squad was littered with players you wouldn't want to deploy even in an emergency.

It says something that the player regarded by some fans as the weakest in our squad - Kairo Mitchell - has actually had a very positive impact on results while on loan at Eastleigh (aside from the game he got sent off ). Yes, there will be times when injuries bite and our bench isn't as strong as it can be, but that's the reality for virtually every National League team except Wrexham.

Trouble is there are players out injured. But the last 3 that were brought in are either injured or not match fit. but the manager is still trying to fite them in on match day. then we have a young goalkeeper who is very shakey.plus no cover in defence what could go wrong.

Good OP

We'll be favourites if it has to be the play-offs, but despite being 20+ points clear, I don't think our opponents will fear us - they'll think they have a good shot.

I'm hopeful for Morais, but the mid-season acquisitions, which seem to depart from the recruitment strategy in order to meet our immediate goals might be our undoing. Sorry, but Bostock, CLE and even Jones haven't come off in terms of keeping up with Wrexham and creating separation from the pack (so that we don't fail to beat B'Wood/Barnet - our likely opponents)

That, and LW not knowing his best team is a worry. So, I agree 55, work to do in making sure we're ready as a cup side that can do the business in 2 winner-takes-all games

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Then we have a young goalkeeper who is very shakey.
    Is he? In my opinion he's looked remarkably confident and seems to be thoroughly enjoying being in the first team.

Are we back to that 'one for the future' mentality again, which are just weasel words for saying young players should never be 'risked'?

Slocombe is injured, the young goalkeeper who has been waiting in the wings has been given his chance to step up, and for my money he's doing well, hence why he's had an U21 call up.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I'd sooner have a small squad packed with quality than a squad twice the size half-filled with dead wood, like we used to have. Every player in our squad these days is capable of making a positive contribution, which certainly wasn't the case a few years ago. There was a time when our squad was littered with players you wouldn't want to deploy even in an emergency.

It says something that the player regarded by some fans as the weakest in our squad - Kairo Mitchell - has actually had a very positive impact on results while on loan at Eastleigh (aside from the game he got sent off ). Yes, there will be times when injuries bite and our bench isn't as strong as it can be, but that's the reality for virtually every National League team except Wrexham.
    Totally agree and everyone in the squad getting some game time and feeling part of the squad

Is he? In my opinion he's looked remarkably confident and seems to be thoroughly enjoying being in the first team.

Are we back to that 'one for the future' mentality again, which are just weasel words for saying young players should never be 'risked'?

Slocombe is injured, the young goalkeeper who has been waiting in the wings has been given his chance to step up, and for my money he's doing well, hence why he's had an U21 call up.
    So you did not mention about the last 3 players brought into the club being un match fit and injured plus no defensive players 🤔 did the goalkeeper not give 2 penalties away in the first game and it should have been 3 by the way ?????

I don't care about every other NL league side, I care about Notts. I agree it is better to have a squad packed with quality but 14 fit quality outfield players - (some people (not me) think CLE is not good/fit enough so that would be 13) is not enough considering the intensity of our play and we are told our training sessions. We need more players of quality, especially defence, even if it is only a couple. Probably too late to do anything about that now though.

The point I am making is that whilst the bookies give us about an 18% chance (9/2) of winning the league - and we should all cling to that hope - we have to develop the tactics and mentality to win 2 massive cup games.
    Take Grimsby last year. They finished 6th. Came to Meadow Lane and equalised in the 96th minute to go into extra time and got the winner in the 119th minute. Then went to Wrexham and won in the 119th minute. On to the final against Solihull and got the winner in the 111th minute. And now this season they got to the FA Cup quarter finals.
    They are the sort of side we will need to be for those 2 games and should now be starting to prepare for it.

Jones looked very match fit in the second half against Chesterfield. He had been at the club about 2 weeks at that point. At times he's been raved about on here as he's been quality.

Whether any of the other playoffs sides fear us or not I don't really care. Only Woking have the chance to beat us this season, the rest have all failed and we have beaten every possible playoff opponent bar Borehamwood. We should fear nobody, and relish playing any of them.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast