+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Peterborough v Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Yes our points margin gone and form has fled. Still if you'd said we'd have been in with a shot with 8 games to go at the start of the season I'd have taken it. Just need to grind out a few wins now and get a few favours from others: form suggests that's unlikely though
    Exactly right, GP. Need a performance, and at least a point, next week or I think the wheels are off and the ‘wobble’ will have turned into a full on collapse. A point next week and then 6/6 against FGR and MKD and the play offs are on again, but our form since West Ham at the end of January isn’t encouraging.
    The ‘honeymoon’ is over...time to step up.

That's the problem rA, I don't think we've got anything left to step up with!
    11 points from the last ten games tells it's own story, that's form (or lack of it!) not a blip.
    We can all pontificate on why the 'wheels have come off' but off they are. Our record against the 'top' teams is abysmal and with Ipswich and the Owls still to come I think a top six finish will be beyond us. That'll be disappointing but we've still done bloody marvellous after the Morris carnage.
    Assuming it's L1 next season it'll be interesting to see how Warne negotiates the summer recruitment with his hands tied by the EFL. Nope, plenty to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    11 points from the last ten games tells it's own story, that's form (or lack of it!) not a blip.
    We can all pontificate on why the 'wheels have come off' but off they are. Our record against the 'top' teams is abysmal and with Ipswich and the Owls still to come I think a top six finish will be beyond us. That'll be disappointing but we've still done bloody marvellous after the Morris carnage.
    Assuming it's L1 next season it'll be interesting to see how Warne negotiates the summer recruitment with his hands tied by the EFL. Nope, plenty to look forward to.
    Never say never, but we have lost momentum. As for next season, well there is hope that the business plan will be reviewed and the restrictions eased for the next transfer window given how the club have been run since the takeover.

The fat lady hasn't sung yet!

Come on Derby, next week time to start putting it right. Lets get over the line then worry about the semis.

We may have seen all of the causes of the downturn in that game.

Passes were better than in the previous game but still too many going astray.
    Lots of decent stuff first half up to the final ball in. Overhit crosses. Just no cutting edge at the business end.
    They were poor first half. Made both personnel and formation changes at HT to which we failed to respond, yet again.
    Tired players. PW asks a lot, physically, both on the training ground and on the pitch. Bielsa's teams faded towards the end of the season just as we appear to be doing. PWs fault? To an extent yes. He's playing the hand he was dealt. Got a lot out of it early doors. Are we now paying the price? I won't name names but we saw Derby players chasing after Posh players, the Posh player had the ball but was still quicker than the chasing Derby player. Age? Too much given earlier in the season? All manner of stuff is behind the current situation.

Next game? Derby win, of course. Come on ewe Rams!!

PS - should we start to worry about Wildsmith? Beaten twice at the the near post in the last 2 games. Wendy fans saying "that's the Joe Wildsmith we know and love"...

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Maybe not, mac, ‘got anything left’ I mean.
    You’re right about where we are in relation to the ‘Morris carnage’ but a lot of people have a lot to prove now.
    We’ve performed a little bit like a team of bullies. Excellent record against those in the bottom third, who are little different from L2 sides really, poor record against those in the top 6/8 and often outfought by those who are physically stronger somewhere in the middle.
    I had high hopes of the signings we’ve made but in truth, as the season enters its last couple of months, I’d say only McGoldrick, Smith and Wildsmith have been unqualified successes and even then the former seems to have a fitness issue.
    Of the others...some have had relative success and others have been a huge disappointment.
    For me there have been too many occasions now when we’ve been found out after decent first half performances, there would appear to be too many players who have run out of steam and we’ve got too many players who are now reaching the end of their careers (three of them centre backs) and won’t be here next season whichever level we’re at.
    What has happened to that team that looked almost all conquering in November, December and January? They’ve been found out is the simple answer and tiredness has replaced the confidence that comes with winning.
    Can we return to the form of mid season? Personally I doubt it. We may still make the playoffs but even then no one could be optimistic against Plymouth, Ipswich or Barnsley. Either way...at least we have a club, which was by no means certain a year ago, but Warne has a hell of a job to do before the start of next season.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 26-03-2023 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Maybe not, mac, ‘got anything left’ I mean.
    You’re right about where we are in relation to the ‘Morris carnage’ but a lot of people have a lot to prove now.
    We’ve performed a little bit like a team of bullies. Excellent record against those in the bottom third, who are little different from L2 sides really, poor record against those in the top 6/8 and often outfought by those who are physically stronger somewhere in the middle.
    I had high hopes of the signings we’ve made but in truth, as the season enters its last couple of months, I’d say only McGoldrick, Smith and Wildsmith have been unqualified successes and even then the former seems to have a fitness issue.
    Of the others...some have had relative success and others have been a huge disappointment.
    For me there have been too many occasions now when we’ve been found out after decent first half performances, there would appear to be too many players who have run out of steam and we’ve got too many players who are now reaching the end of their careers (three of them centre backs) and won’t be here next season whichever level we’re at.
    What has happened to that team that looked almost all conquering in November, December and January? They’ve been found out is the simple answer and tiredness has replaced the confidence that comes with winning.
    Can we return to the form of mid season? Personally I doubt it. We may still make the playoffs but even then no one could be optimistic against Plymouth, Ipswich or Barnsley. Either way...at least we have a club, which was by no means certain a year ago, but Warne has a hell of a job to do before the start of next season.
    MA sums it up excellently and, like you, I also have myself doubts as to the likelihood of the lads being able to turn this around. Warne plays a high intensity game which doesn't gel with a squad of young 'uns and old 'uns but zilch mid to upper twenty year olds! This league is a grind and then some, the last third of the season will inevitably expose any fault lines. Warne himself commented on the lack of balance in be squad, was that a hint that he saw problems emerging bearing in mind that fitness to meet the demands of his methods was critical?

Yes, Warne has a hell of a job to do to prepare for next season irrespective of which league we are in (as any manager would have given our circumstances)!
    However, he has a massive job to do now if he is to stop this particular boat from sinking only a few metres from the shore (I don't see a lifeboat rushing to our rescue though that gunboat looks menacing)! Bearing in mind the length of time we have been in the top six (with more than a sniff of the autos), if he fails to get us over the line will he lose too many brownie points in the eyes of the fans thus raising questions over his future at PP?
    This beloved game or ours takes no prisoners and I am sure knows where the buck stops in his profession!! Good or bad there's some interesting times ahead!

So what we need is to sign a couple of asylum seekers, then that boat will rush to our rescue and the EFL will welcome us to the championship like a long lost friend??

Sack the board (sorry a DCFCA moment there,)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)