+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wine comps update.

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    My cellar's upstairs weird init, I keep my best frocks in it inaw. some folk call it a wardrobe. but despite what Mrs Stewarty says its my cellar. And I bring my wine doon.
    I get it - the frocks are a decoy and you also keep the dead bodies in the attic? Crafty! Where’s the vineyard at - ahh … the allotment, it’s all taking shape.

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    Have to say Neeps yer Tullos Hill Red sounds superb, So much so I've been to my wine cellar and got doon a bottle of my Bramble 2020. Only thing is I cant get it above 9% ideally would want 12% any tips.
    Hmmm ... ye shouldna hae a problem gettin beyond 9% .... bramble wine ferments readily.

My bramble wine is a standard recipe. 3lbs o' brambles, 1kg bag o' sugar, 40ml lemon juice (nae essential, but gets the acidity 'comfy' for the yeast before it breaks doon the brambles). This comes oot between 13% and 15% .... dependin on the ripeness or sugar content o' the fruit.

Never had a problem with it fermenting out to dryness.

Ah'm wonderin if you're maybe usin an old recipe which suggests 3 or 3.5 lbs o' sugar. Too much sugar at the start of a brew can actually inhibit the yeast. If ye want a strong wine, ye should start it off wi 2lbs (or 1kg bag) o' sugar, and add extra sugar in stages when the initial 1kg ferments out .... like add 4oz at a time.

Personally, I am happy with a 13 to 15% wine, so I dinna bother adding extra sugar ... 1kg is enough.
    Last edited by NaeMairNeeps; 18-04-2023 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    Hmmm ... ye shouldna hae a problem gettin beyond 9% .... bramble wine ferments readily.

My bramble wine is a standard recipe. 3lbs o' brambles, 1kg bag o' sugar, 40ml lemon juice (nae essential, but gets the acidity 'comfy' for the yeast before it breaks doon the brambles). This comes oot between 13% and 15% .... dependin on the ripeness or sugar content o' the fruit.

Never had a problem with it fermenting out to dryness.

Ah'm wonderin if you're maybe usin an old recipe which suggests 3 or 3.5 lbs o' sugar. Too much sugar at the start of a brew can actually inhibit the yeast. If ye want a strong wine, ye should start it off wi 2lbs (or 1kg bag) o' sugar, and add extra sugar in stages when the initial 1kg ferments out .... like add 4oz at a time.

Personally, I am happy with a 13 to 15% wine, so I dinna bother adding extra sugar ... 1kg is enough.
    Thank you Neeps that's really helpful. I think you've actually solved my problem I've been starting off with about 4 pun o sugar falsely believing the more sugar the more alcohol the more stronger. Thinking back the best I made was 6 bottles of Strawberry wine Asda had punnets reduced to 10p so I bought them all. Thinking Strawberries were sweet enough I added less sugar 1kg bag and it turn out the strongest yet. I need to up my game and win one O your bottles learn for a more experienced wine maker. Thanks again,

Collection

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    Good stuff guys, jist gizza shout
    Neeps,I will be in toon emorn, probably afternoon onwards.
    If yer nae gettin ready for a gig,will ping ye a message an meet ye somewhere that suits you

Quote Originally Posted by Auldtoontoby View Post
    Neeps,I will be in toon emorn, probably afternoon onwards.
    If yer nae gettin ready for a gig,will ping ye a message an meet ye somewhere that suits you
    Aye, super ... Ah need tae be in toon onywye, so jist hit me wi a time an' place as soon as ye ken fit yer daein

Neeps,I didn't get opportunity to meet you,busy tidying up lots o loose ends an legal stuff o mithers.
    I'm off back to Brazil emorn,nae back until around 10th June.
    So feel free to offer up my bottle to a good cause min.

OK min, Ah'll add it tae the top six game prizes .... Ah'm sure ye'll win anither somewye along the line

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12