+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Byrne

Byrne

That's 5 forward passes this season now 😆

The reaction to him coming on was priceless.

Decent player at this level but jeezo some boys around me that most animated they have got since the Doon derby.

Trouble with Byrne is that he is marmite to the Dundee support and I don't think that will change. He is a decent player imo not worthy of the unstinted praise he gets from some but also better than some give him credit for. A good Championship player who probably should have been used more this season but he likely wouldn't hack it it the Premier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    Trouble with Byrne is that he is marmite to the Dundee support and I don't think that will change. He is a decent player imo not worthy of the unstinted praise he gets from some but also better than some give him credit for. A good Championship player who probably should have been used more this season but he likely wouldn't hack it it the Premier.
    Been a few games where his composure would have been a big plus, recently Morton away springs to mind.

But he has got better and better the more he has sat on the bench in some people's mind.

Absolutely no problem with Byrne being selected if that's what the manager decides but at the moment rightly or wrongly McGhee is managers first pick every time.

McGhee played ok last night but he's not a natural midfielder but plenty of players get picked for teams midfield whilst not the classiest.

Manager gambled with two up last night and the spell after they equalised was worrying but we got to grips with it 2nd half.

If we can take it to the last day we might just have enough but it's getting that opportunity.

IMO, he can only play if we play 3-5-2. McGhee is better in the air, and has a goal threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodbroon View Post
    Relative to the other defensive midfielders that we have, Byrne is up there above most, if not all of them. Our defensive midfielders are just not very good. Nowhere near good enough for the SPL IF we make that, but not really strong enough for this league either. Our alternatives are poor. We should have sorted that but we didn't. Maguire came in but he is not on the Motherwell not wanted list for nothing. As you say, Byrne should have been used more this season. Doesn't mean he is world class, just that we are so short in there.

Quote Originally Posted by parcbara View Post
    Relative to the other defensive midfielders that we have, Byrne is up there above most, if not all of them. Our defensive midfielders are just not very good. Nowhere near good enough for the SPL IF we make that, but not really strong enough for this league either. Our alternatives are poor. We should have sorted that but we didn't. Maguire came in but he is not on the Motherwell not wanted list for nothing. As you say, Byrne should have been used more this season. Doesn't mean he is world class, just that we are so short in there.
    Don’t disagree, but Byrne s on the DFC not wanted list

Quote Originally Posted by BP33 View Post
    Don’t disagree, but Byrne s on the DFC not wanted list
    Yes, and it's astonishing to think back at some of the awful combinations that Bowyer has tried, leaving him out. With Mulligan away, I would keep Cameron, Byrne, Williamson and let the rest go with a view to bringing in new blood. I dont include McGhee in that as he can do a job as a defender. That is assuming that we won't get promoted this season.

Yes, and it's astonishing to think back at some of the awful combinations that Bowyer has tried, leaving him out. With Mulligan away, I would keep Cameron, Byrne, Williamson and let the rest go with a view to bringing in new blood. I dont include McGhee in that as he can do a job as a defender. That is assuming that we won't get promoted this season.
    Byrne is the only one who has a contract for next season.

Do you include Robertson and Anderson in the leavers?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)