+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- Soccer AM cancelled

O/T:- Soccer AM cancelled

As someone who has commented on the pitiful decline of Soccer AM on Sky Sports in recent years, I have to say this is welcome news today: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b2305791.html

From low budget beginnings, Tim Lovejoy and Helen Chamberlain fired this show to the stars in the 1990s, quite literally, with the biggest stars in football and music falling over themselves to appear on it. It was like a soccer version of Tiswas: irreverent, innovative, somewhat anarchic and genuinely funny. I think its spirit, like Sky's audience in those days, came from "the raves and the council estates" and watching it on Saturday morning really got the appetite going for a day's football.

It's been sad to see it decline over the years into a timid shell of what it used to be, emasculated and over-produced into a soulless mess of a programme that gradually abandoned the audience on which it built its reputation, much like the Sky channel has as a whole. It comes as no surprise that poor ratings have finally killed it off, and I can foresee other flagship Sky Sports programmes like Soccer Saturday losing their spirit in a similar way.

Part of me wants to say RIP Soccer AM, but having barely been able to watch it for the last few years, I'm actually glad to see it put out of its misery!
    Last edited by SwalePie; 22-03-2023 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Fixed off topic prefix

A fixture for me every Saturday morning when living with mates circa 2001-2005. It was as much a weekend staple as a Friday night takeaway whilst watching RAW is WAR , a Saturday night out with the lads in town, and watching Goals on Sunday and T4's excellent Shipwrecked whilst nursing a deserved hangover.

Agree with Jackal, overall glad it's ending. Not seen it for over a decade and when I last saw it , it had certainly lost a lot of its shine.

Still great memories from it's golden era.

Taxi for Soccer AM

I can't even remember the last time I watched it so no great lose

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    I can't even remember the last time I watched it so no great lose
    Same. Best part for me was 'Boston Goals' where they'd show Boston United highlights with American commentary and adverts plastered across the screen so you couldn't see the goals.

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    Same. Best part for me was 'Boston Goals' where they'd show Boston United highlights with American commentary and adverts plastered across the screen so you couldn't see the goals.
    I have to say this part of the show had me in stitches 🤣