+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire post this morning

Yorkshire post this morning

Just for peoples interest , there is a great article in this mornings Post about Duff , he talks about coming to the club & building bridges etc & the club in general , I think its a great read & anyone who wants to have a look can find it on the " Newnow Barnsley " website

The sneaking in under the radar card can no longer be played with Duff.

He has coached a group of free transfers, loanees and relegation haunted players into a confident, effective group in the Third Division. An "average" coach would have seen us in the also ran group.

He has achieved legendary status in a short time but the issue is now that the regional and national media in print, broadcasting and social media are picking up on this and heaping praise upon him. Bigger clubs, particularly in the Championship, will have his name on their lists as a potential replacement. Michelle Owen and the Sky pundits were singing Duff's praises on Tuesday night. The same thing happened with the last cult hero, "Big Val".

It is why I keep saying promotion via automatic or the Play Offs is essential. Glorious failure will not cut it. I know some say Duff is too loyal to jump ship if he is made a big offer but staying at Cheltenham for some years with his Cheltenham born wife, kids in school, nice house, nice area etc was a different decision.

Duff needs Barnsley to be in the Championship next season, as do the Board, even more.

# Promotion SB

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    The sneaking in under the radar card can no longer be played with Duff.

He has coached a group of free transfers, loanees and relegation haunted players into a confident, effective group in the Third Division. An "average" coach would have seen us in the also ran group.

He has achieved legendary status in a short time but the issue is now that the regional and national media in print, broadcasting and social media are picking up on this and heaping praise upon him. Bigger clubs, particularly in the Championship, will have his name on their lists as a potential replacement. Michelle Owen and the Sky pundits were singing Duff's praises on Tuesday night. The same thing happened with the last cult hero, "Big Val".

It is why I keep saying promotion via automatic or the Play Offs is essential. Glorious failure will not cut it. I know some say Duff is too loyal to jump ship if he is made a big offer but staying at Cheltenham for some years with his Cheltenham born wife, kids in school, nice house, nice area etc was a different decision.

Duff needs Barnsley to be in the Championship next season, as do the Board, even more.

# Promotion SB
    Two things SB , I only highlighted the article because I thought it was a very interesting read especially as it highlighted the split between the fans & the club plus the problem with the players , it wasn"t meant as a tribute to Duff & regarding the future , well who knows , what will be will be but one thing you & I would disagree on is that if we fail you describe it as " Glorious failure " whilst I would say the opposite , to me what ever happens to have the season we are having from what we had last year would be a resounding success & would give us the platform we wanted to build from.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    Two things SB , I only highlighted the article because I thought it was a very interesting read especially as it highlighted the split between the fans & the club plus the problem with the players , it wasn"t meant as a tribute to Duff & regarding the future , well who knows , what will be will be but one thing you & I would disagree on is that if we fail you describe it as " Glorious failure " whilst I would say the opposite , to me what ever happens to have the season we are having from what we had last year would be a resounding success & would give us the platform we wanted to build from.
    No one "disliked" Conway (Arseoyle) more than me Shads but this "reconnecting" with the fans stuff always required the team to be winning on the field. Fans always want to be associated with teams that win. Call me a cynic but if we were mid table we wouldn't be hearing this stuff.

As regards building from a stronger base in the Third Division next season I have outlined already my views on staying in this league and its effect on coaching leadership, squad quality, wage structure and club finances so I won't repeat it.

After our last season of failing in the Play Offs under Ismael we were relegated with a record low points total. Building stronger doesn't always follow.

Thanks for pointing the article out Shadrack. I did read one this morning but this appears to be a different one. Top 6 is a resounding success. I still I'll feel we have automatic as a possibility, difficult as it will be.

A few points here.
    Yes it’s a team mostly of free transfers and players under the radar.
    And yes - Duff was a relatively unknown.

IMO the question supporters should be asking is - who is bringing all these together ???

The answer to that is clearly James Cryne.
    We have a genius at the club - who should be getting more recognition than he is.
    I’d go as far as to say - no matter who left the club in the summer of 2021 - if James had still been involved (instead of Conway) we would be in the top six of the Championship right now.

It’s very much looking like the principal reason we got relegated in the 21/22 season was a result of arguments in the boardroom between Jame/Jean and Chien/Conway.
    From that Conway thought he could run the club single handedly.
    We all know what happened.

Supporters have to realise that employees at the club such as Duff and Khaled are here for one thing and one thing only - to make a name for themselves - before moving onto a club that will pay them higher wages.
    Nowt up wi that.
    I hope they achieve that - because if they do then Barnsley will be in a much better place.

I can bet my bottom dollar the club will already have a list of potential replacements ready for when they leave.

I am about to watch Soccer AM. and you are right Shads--we will agree to disagree on whether not going up is a glorious failure or the season will have been a success.

(Did you know Soccer AM is finishing at the end of this season ? Has never been the same since Lovejoy and Hells Bells left)

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    A few points here.
    Yes it’s a team mostly of free transfers and players under the radar.
    And yes - Duff was a relatively unknown.

IMO the question supporters should be asking is - who is bringing all these together ???

The answer to that is clearly James Cryne.
    We have a genius at the club - who should be getting more recognition than he is.
    I’d go as far as to say - no matter who left the club in the summer of 2021 - if James had still been involved (instead of Conway) we would be in the top six of the Championship right now.

It’s very much looking like the principal reason we got relegated in the 21/22 season was a result of arguments in the boardroom between Jame/Jean and Chien/Conway.
    From that Conway thought he could run the club single handedly.
    We all know what happened.

Supporters have to realise that employees at the club such as Duff and Khaled are here for one thing and one thing only - to make a name for themselves - before moving onto a club that will pay them higher wages.
    Nowt up wi that.
    I hope they achieve that - because if they do then Barnsley will be in a much better place.

I can bet my bottom dollar the club will already have a list of potential replacements ready for when they leave.
    Genius and recognition for what exactly ?

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    I am about to watch Soccer AM. and you are right Shads--we will agree to disagree on whether not going up is a glorious failure or the season will have been a success.

(Did you know Soccer AM is finishing at the end of this season ? Has never been the same since Lovejoy and Hells Bells left)

Apologies for going off topic here Shads.

I used to think that SB but in reality, it's the modern snowflake society and Sky's attitude towards it that's systematically killed off this once great show imo. Lovejoy was a big, big loss. There's no denying that, although Helen Chamberlain carried on for another 10 years after Lovejoys departure.

The slapstick off the cuff humour has been diluted so much over the years that the classic sketches couldn't be done effectively anymore through fear of offence. Sketches such as the Soccerette, Wrestlers, Sheepheads topless weather, 'Barry' starring the brilliantly underrated and current presenter of the show Fenners. Big Stan Hibbert, Tubes rap plus many more have all been ditched to please the minority but to the detriment of the show ultimately.

Maybe lovejoy saw it coming and jacked before he would've been inevitably pushed. He hardly went onto better things despite still hosting weekend morning television to this day.

I used to absolutely love watching it 20 years ago. Hilarious at times and compulsive viewing. A true one off show which was done live and the mistakes that came with that were part and parcel of it's honesty and appeal. I'm not surprised it is being ditched as the show has gone from lasting for 4 hrs when it first started and is now down to 90mins. Shame isn't it but this is the world we're living in. Boring and freetuned o causing offence.

Spot on Pass. Some great memories there the catwalk, the Scottish table, the list goes on. The only bit of the present show anywhere equal to some of that stuff is the Jeff Stelling spoof Shocker Saturday.

Anyway back to the thread.

My phrase "Glorious Failure" means the season has been "glorious" ie deserving great admiration, praise and honour but ultimately it would be a failure to achieve its aim of promotion. Duff said early season the ambition had to be promotion, not consolidation.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 25-03-2023 at 01:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast