+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A slip of the tongue.

A slip of the tongue.

It was a deadly dull day for sport yesterday, no Championship, Clitheroe away, the 6 Nations finished, even the horse racing was 2nd rate fare, there was live women's football all over the place but I wasn't that desperate, and then I saw the girls were also playing Rugby, England v Scotland no less. I switched it on, a mixture of boredom and curiosity I suppose, and I stayed tuned in as, with 20 minutes to go, the Jockesses were getting one hell of a beating from our girls, and I can stand 20 minutes of watching Scotland losing at absolutely anything.

But the highlight, it made my day, came close to end, someone in the commentary box had to choose 'player of the match', and after making her choice she summed up by saying, 'Yes, she's my MAN of the match'. Her co-commentator took over and ignored the slip of the tongue, confirming to viewers who the 'player of the match' was.

I've no idea who the poor lass was who said 'Man of the match', but I doubt she'll be invited back in a hurry. Nevertheless, how I laughed, as they used to say in Viz, and maybe they still do say that in Viz.

In the same mode mon ami, I watched the Arsenal Ladies hand the Spurs Ladies a right whupping and the commentator kept referring to the players as "girls".

I can't keep up, I really can't.

I suppose it was a good job it was one of the girls saying 'Man of the Match' she'll probably get away with it, if it had been a man I would think it would end his broadcasting/journalistic career. He'd have been dead and buried before the day was out.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    someone in the commentary box had to choose 'player of the match', and after making her choice she summed up by saying, 'Yes, she's my MAN of the match'. Her co-commentator took over and ignored the slip of the tongue, confirming to viewers who the 'player of the match' was.

easily done I reckon......some of them do look to be physically more masculine than feminine.

I see they have stopped the Transgenders from representing England in the Women's athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    I see they have stopped the Transgenders from representing England in the Women's athletics.

Question is Alf - why did they start ?

.....and I think that'd be down to the protests/ boycott of the Women atheletes - than some sense of right and wrong from those in charge.

As I stated in an earlier post, even the ladies shout "Man on" when threatened. it's a man's game?

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    As I stated in an earlier post, even the ladies shout "Man on" when threatened. it's a man's game?

it's all about the "earlier" - Kritti.

.a mix of etymology tells us....

The Germanic word developed into Old English mann. In Old English, the word still primarily meant "person" or "human," and was used for men, women, and children alike.....as “human” and “mankind” referring to both male and female.

An interesting convention that was thought up in the early 1900s to deal with this issue of “man” coming to mean both male and female and also sometimes meaning males exclusively is, in literature, to do the following: when referring to humans, “man” should be capitalized as in “Man”; when referring to “man” as in “male”, it is to be left lower case. This convention was used in such literary works as “The Lord of the Rings” and was a key point in the prophecy concerning the Witch-king of Angmar: “no man can kill me”, meaning that according to the prophecy a woman, Eowyn, could because “man” in the prophecy was not capitalized.

The word “wer” or “wǣpmann” was commonly used to refer to “male human”. This word almost completely died out around the 1300s, but survives somewhat in words like “werewolf”, which literally means “man wolf”

Women at the time were referred to as “wif” or “wīfmann“, meaning “female human”. The latter “wifmann”, eventually evolved into the word “woman”

lets see what the wef says....

Cool Norder.very interesting.😎

In India, the British, came to enjoy a certain type of fruit there. The then high society of the British, of course had no name for this fruit ,so they simple commanded the local ''walla's'' ''Man go! Of course you know the name of this fruit today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)