+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A slip of the tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

it's all about the "earlier" - Kritti.

.a mix of etymology tells us....

The Germanic word developed into Old English mann. In Old English, the word still primarily meant "person" or "human," and was used for men, women, and children alike.....as “human” and “mankind” referring to both male and female.

An interesting convention that was thought up in the early 1900s to deal with this issue of “man” coming to mean both male and female and also sometimes meaning males exclusively is, in literature, to do the following: when referring to humans, “man” should be capitalized as in “Man”; when referring to “man” as in “male”, it is to be left lower case. This convention was used in such literary works as “The Lord of the Rings” and was a key point in the prophecy concerning the Witch-king of Angmar: “no man can kill me”, meaning that according to the prophecy a woman, Eowyn, could because “man” in the prophecy was not capitalized.

The word “wer” or “wǣpmann” was commonly used to refer to “male human”. This word almost completely died out around the 1300s, but survives somewhat in words like “werewolf”, which literally means “man wolf”

Women at the time were referred to as “wif” or “wīfmann“, meaning “female human”. The latter “wifmann”, eventually evolved into the word “woman”

lets see what the wef says....

Thanks, Norder. Etymology has long been one of my interests.

It interests me too why, linguistically, female nouns often defer to male nouns. Once we had actress. Now all are generally referred to as actor. Similarly, authoresses are now authors. Yet so many rail against male dominance in society.

Why are male actors not referred to as actresses?

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post

It interests me too why, linguistically, female nouns often defer to male nouns. Once we had actress. Now all are generally referred to as actor. Similarly, authoresses are now authors. Yet so many rail against male dominance in society.

Any thoughts?
    They are not usually so compliant on mattresses I suggest S_c.

Any thoughts?
    Ironically in Elizabethan times there were no actresses, all female parts being played by young men. Is this how Panto evolved?

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    Ironically in Elizabethan times there were no actresses, all female parts being played by young men. Is this how Panto evolved?
    Perhaps that's how "Fairies" evolved k_c?

Any thoughts?
    I think the use of actor for for actresses is a political construct. The Guardian banned the use of the word 'actress' in it's pages a long while ago, which gives you a clue to the origins.

"Similar moves have been made by government agencies across the U.S. over the past several years. For example, in 2007 the California state senate approved the removal of the phrase man and wife from all official references to marriage and its replacement with two persons.

Most recently, and most comprehensively Washington concluded its six-year effort to root out “gender bias” in its state laws by rewriting all its statutes using “gender-neutral vocabulary.” As reported by Reuters (Apr. 22, 2013), this sweeping, almost Herculean, task was overseen by a 40-member team in the state’s Code Reviser’s Office. After submitting a series of bills since 2007, each reportedly over hundreds of pages long, the Code Reviser’s Office issued its final bill, a massive 475-page tome, which was signed into law by Governor Jay Inslee on April 22, 2013.

Among code reviser Kyle Thiessen’s “achievements” is the substitution of the following words:

 fisher for fisherman
     signal operator for signalman
     journey-level plumber for journeyman plumber
     handwriting for penmanship
     first-year student for freshman

Clearly, one of the code reviser’s chief goals was to neuter the inclusive masculine form in as many words as possible."

George Orwell saw it coming in '1984'.
    Last edited by sinkov; 27-03-2023 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    Go on then Kriti I’ll play the game

Oh no it isn’t !

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Cool Norder.very interesting.��

thought you'd appreciate - Alf...being I know how much you like hitting the road in the camper....around the time of a full moon.

Man Wolf

Any thoughts?

to me, Swiss....there was never the need to set actor or author (etc) apart with "esses", because in essence.... they're both professions, so unless only one member of a species can fulfill the vocation - how can said profession be either masculine or feminine ?

It's passed its MOT Norder,just a question of where and when to go.

😎👍

I wonder how our lady footballers feel about being the Lionesses, shouldn't they just be the Lions ?

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    It's passed its MOT Norder,just a question of where and when to go.

����

good luck with the MOT - Alf....just watch out for silver bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I wonder how our lady footballers feel about being the Lionesses, shouldn't they just be the Lions ?

you guzzling the Savoie again - Sinkov ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)