+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruben Rodrigues

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    No it's not true as far as I understand it. He came to the UK before the end of 2020, so he presumably has applied for what's called pre-settled status. If/when he has been resident for 5 years, he can apply for settled status. He can work in the UK with either status.

I think the bloke might be getting mixed up with footballers coming to the UK from the EU since the end of 2020, as they're likely to need a points based visa. Playing for your country adds to an individual's points tally, but isn't the only way to amass points. Anyone applying for a sportsperson visa needs to be sponsored by a football club with a sponsor licence from the FA. Sponsiors have to be from the PL, EFL or WSL, so being in the FL would likely enhance our ability to sign overseas players, not reduce it.
    That’s good news hopefully he will be playing in Division 2 with us …but if not I’d like to see him being successful elsewhere preferably Championship or Division 1
    Top player and top man 👍

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Welcome to the fanclub MDS

His strength is key to our starting XI in that area of the pitch, and underrated or under regonised. As it was for another skilful attacking midfield player, the one and only Paul Gascoigne. Nightmare trying to get the ball off him in his prime, oh and rather skilful.
    Gazza was better at using his elbows.

He sure was, what a talent. I still blame Gary Charles' leg in 1991. As anyone watched him knew he was never the same player after that, we will never know just how great he could have been during his peak years.

He was phenomenal yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    No it's not true as far as I understand it. He came to the UK before the end of 2020, so he presumably has applied for what's called pre-settled status. If/when he has been resident for 5 years, he can apply for settled status. He can work in the UK with either status.

I think the bloke might be getting mixed up with footballers coming to the UK from the EU since the end of 2020, as they're likely to need a points based visa. Playing for your country adds to an individual's points tally, but isn't the only way to amass points. Anyone applying for a sportsperson visa needs to be sponsored by a football club with a sponsor licence from the FA. Sponsiors have to be from the PL, EFL or WSL, so being in the FL would likely enhance our ability to sign overseas players, not reduce it.
    This. In my understanding we, or another club at the lower levels of the pyramid, wouldn't be able to sign him from Portugal - or Holland - now. But as he's already here he'd be able to stay and re-sign for us or another English team.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    This. In my understanding we, or another club at the lower levels of the pyramid, wouldn't be able to sign him from Portugal - or Holland - now. But as he's already here he'd be able to stay and re-sign for us or another English team.
    Agreed, Charlie Slater pretty much tweeted out the same thing a couple of days ago. He is now eligible to play at any level in the English game.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Gazza was better at using his elbows.
    Paul Harding would aggree to that

Ruben alos has to take into account if he'll enjoy his football as much as he clearly does under LW. Plenty of players move to bigger clubs for more money but then fall due to the style of play not suiting them. They're still great players but need the right style for them. Just look at Ruben this season he's on another level from previous seasons with previous managers. He's absolutely loving his football and he strikes me as a confidence player. Something a move away from the Lane and LW could dent.

Same as Macca, would he he be on 39 goals in the Wrexham hoof it style of football, no.

Who am I kidding, money talks

I get the impression from his interviews that he reckons it's time to move on, even though it's clear he's thoroughly enjoyed his time at Notts and is loving this season. If I were a betting man, I'd have my money on him leaving, wherever Notts end up.

Quote Originally Posted by OldBanksy View Post
    I get the impression from his interviews that he reckons it's time to move on, even though it's clear he's thoroughly enjoyed his time at Notts and is loving this season. If I were a betting man, I'd have my money on him leaving, wherever Notts end up.
    I for one wouldn’t begrudge him if he did. He has been a great and loyal player for us and I would say it’s job done if he takes us back to the EFL.
    He isn’t playing like a man out of contract in a few weeks time. He has definitely signed or got a gentleman’s agreement lined up somewhere IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12