+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Americanism

Americanism

I’m just watch the England game and the subs are coming on.
    Why do we kowtow to these Americanisms? We’ve always had a player off and a player on but that’s not good enough we’ve now got to have a player out and a player in.
    Sorry for the rant I know it’s only a small issue be they wind me up.

At least the term Soccer is almost universally disliked in this country .

Thankfully .

True animal, I don’t know why people want to adopt Americas version of our language, especially Yorkshire folk

I sometimes pronounce the letter Z, as Zee instead of Zed.
    And basically because I know it annoys the f*k out of people. 😅

When yer think about it ….
    England has had a far bigger influence on the American language than America has had on ours.

I believe "high press" was derived from a "full court high press", it being a long standing tactic in USA Basketball in positioning players to win the ball back near the opponents net as they begin an attack.

The squad is the "roster"

The dressing room is the "locker room"

I'm sure these terms have been used at Oakwell in recent years.

"Divisional retention", as used by Dane Murphy, was my favourite, meaning avoiding relegation.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 27-03-2023 at 08:07 AM.

It's a misconception that the word "soccer" is an Americanism. It is, and very much was, an English word. In the 19th century the term football referred to two sports: - Rugby Football and Association Football. Students at Oxford University used their linguistic skills to distinguish between the two 'footballs'. To play Rugby Football was to play "rugger" and to play Association Football was to play "Assoccer" (abbreviation of Association). Assoccer was later shortened to Soccer.

When soccer became the sport of the working class the need to differentiate from rugby became less apparent and so working class communities simply called the sport football.