+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Case Scenario

Worst Case Scenario

If the worst was to happen and we end up in the play-offs:-
    It would seem that Woking and Chesterfield are pretty much certain for the play offs.

So the question is, would it be better to play Chesterfield at home in the semi final or at Wembley in the final?
    For us to play them in the semi, they would have to finish 5th or 6th and win the quarter final first.

Quote Originally Posted by 1955pie View Post
    If the worst was to happen and we end up in the play-offs:-
    It would seem that Woking and Chesterfield are pretty much certain for the play offs.

So the question is, would it be better to play Chesterfield at home in the semi final or at Wembley in the final?
    For us to play them in the semi, they would have to finish 5th or 6th and win the quarter final first.
    They will finish 3rd and we will play them in the final..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    They will finish 3rd and we will play them in the final..
    Maybe. But is that what we want?

I'd rather not play them at all. Hoping Woking finish 3rd so Cheaterfield have an extra game to get knocked out in.

I really can't see Wrexham dropping enough points for us to haul them in even if we beat them so I'm preparing myself mentally for the play offs.

Notts at Wembley, on that carpet of a pitch, big support in attendance, give me any club that could still reach the playoffs. We don't finish top, so that's what I want.

I think we'd be better off playing Chesterfield at Wembley. It'd be a much bigger deal for us, we'd have far greater support and we'd be like Bradford in 96.

Chesterfield have been to the new Wembley twice in the FL Trophy, won 2012 and lost 2014.
    They reached two play off finals in the 1990s, also won one and lost one.

If we got them in the SF then it's a similar type of fixture to Grimsby last season, which will sow some seeds of doubt in the back of the mind. I could see us losing that.

Not worried about any of the other clubs involved. There's always the chance of a major decision going against us on the day and that changing the game, but odds are we'll make the final and once there I imagine it will feel like it did in 1990 when we just knew we couldn't lose.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    It'd be a much bigger deal for us, we'd have far greater support and we'd be like Bradford in 96.
    I think we'd have more, but I doubt it would be 'far greater'? How many did they take to the 2 FL finals? One club towns will always have the advantage in that all the neutrals/armchair come out to support the town. We don't have that as the vast majority of people in the city support Forest.

It's looking extremely unlikely we face Chesterfield in the 2 v 5/6 semi final.

For me it keeps coming back to Boreham Wood, Boreham Wood, Boreham Wood,
    And that's enough of a challenge, we couldn't beat them in 2 games this season. We beat C'Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    I think we'd have more, but I doubt it would be 'far greater'? How many did they take to the 2 FL finals? One club towns will always have the advantage in that all the neutrals/armchair come out to support the town. We don't have that as the vast majority of people in the city support Forest.
    There was only 35k in total for their last visit v Posh (who would have taken more than Chesterfield),
    50k total in 2012 v Swindon, again Swindon would have the greater share of that.

This is more important, so you're probably right that we'll have more but not "far greater" numbers.

It's hard to guess but I'd anticipate not far off 30k Notts (roughly what we took in 1991) and around 21/22k Chesterfield.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 27-03-2023 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    There was only 35k in total for their last visit v Posh (who would have took more than Chesterfield),
    50k total in 2012 v Swindon, again Swindon would have the greater share of that.

This is more important, so you're probably right that we'll have more but not "far greater" numbers.

It's hard to guess but I'd anticipate not far off 30k Notts (roughly what we took in 1991) and around 21/22k Chesterfield.
    Isn't the playoff final part of a double header with the FA Trophy Final. That being the case, will the attendance for each club be restricted..

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast