+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarets v Black Cats Match Preview.

Clarets v Black Cats Match Preview.

Clarets v Black Cats Match Preview.
    Venue: Turf Moor, Harry Potts Way, Burnley, BB10 4BX.
    Kick-off – 20.00 - Friday 31st March 2023.

For the Clarets the finishing line is almost in sight. Just a couple more wins are needed to see Vincent Kompany’s runaway Championship leaders return to the English Premier League at the first time of asking. Burnley with only 9 games remaining have an outside chance of hitting a new Championship record of 110 points but must win all their remaining fixtures to do so.

Their opponents on Friday night the Black Cats managed by former Blackburn Rovers boss Tony Mowbray still hold aspirations of reaching this season’s play-offs final at Wembley. The Black Cats currently lie 11th in the league table, a distant 30 points behind Vincent Company’s Clarets; only a win at Turf Moor is good enough for Sunderland to keep their receding promotion hopes alive.

The stage is set, can Burnley maintain their unbeaten home record and simultaneously brush off the crushing 6-0 FA Cup at the Etihad Stadium. 13 Burnley players have criss-crossed the global air routes during the EUFA inspired international break, and it will be interesting to see from a Clarets perspective if travelling, injuries and player fatigue conspire to jeopardise Vincent Kompany’s usual meticulous pre-match preparations. Game on.

One’s to watch: Leeds loanee Joe Gelhardt and the outstanding wingman Jack Clarke pose an offensive risk for the Wearside outfit.

The Clarets with undeniably the strongest squad in the Championship have the returning Manuel Benson, Jay Rodriguez and Taylor Harwood-Bellis available for selection. It remains to be seen which players have returned from international call-ups to Turf Moor without injury, but I expect the Burnley gaffer will be going into this game off with the intention of securing another 3 points with more goals added to the current tally of a remarkable 74 going to press.

Verdict: The reverse fixture saw Burnley overcome a 2-0 first half deficit to win 4-2 at the Stadium of Light and was perhaps the earliest indication that the Clarets would go on to become the ultimate winners of this season’s Championship. I expect another hard-fought home victory leaving just three more points needed, hopefully collected at Middlesbrough to clinch promotion next week.

Footnote: Reading Football Club hold the current Championship record points total with 106 points, is it even possible Vincent Kompany’s new look Clarets can surpass that figure? I don’t think they can given the difficulty contained within their remaining fixtures; Middlesbrough away, Sheffield United at home but it will be certainly interesting to see if they can set a new record points tally for the Championship.

An opinion and post from the Editor’s Chair at Clarets Mad.

Attachment 23850

Thanks BT. Hopefully it will be back to normal and 3 points.

Getting the injured back in the squad can only help. Will TBH get his shirt back though? Ekdal and the other lad have both done well in his absence.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Thanks BT. Hopefully it will be back to normal and 3 points.

Getting the injured back in the squad can only help. Will TBH get his shirt back though? Ekdal and the other lad have both done well in his absence.
    Reports coming in indicate Ekdal is injured.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Ok. Hopefully not serious. However, we have two centre backs who can step in next to Jordan Beckenbeyer - three if you count Charlie. Good cover and a strong position to be in.

Midfield still concerns me a little but I am sure that VK and the team will unearth some diamond or two in summer who can play alongside Cullen.

He does look a bit willowy doesn't he, a couple of steak puddings would do him no harm.

I doubt VK will be as skilfully inept and play into the hands of Slumberland,....as he did for Manchesty Titty.

Sunderland have a significant number (6) of injured players out, including their leading scorer Ross Stewart so their danger man is Amad Diallo with 9 goals this season. Looking better for us, maybe a hatful tonight but I'll stick with my 3-1.

I'm looking forward to the match. A win tonight and we are on the very edge of the cusp.

UTC#

I'm looking forward to the match. A win tonight and we are on the very edge of the cusp.

UTC#
    My man on the inside at Turf Moor tells me the plans for the victory parade are already finalised and in place. Of course they can't announce anything publicly until we are actually over the line. But it's all done and dusted, all ready to be announced.

UTC#
    it a precipice to me - BT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)