+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: James McClean

James McClean

See that James McClean has just revealed that he is on the autistic spectrum -which may explain some of his behaviour. His daughter is on the spectrum which apparently led to him looking into his own traits. I have a mate who recently got a diagnosis and it was a real eye opener for him as it sort of made sense of his behaviour over many years and explained why he never quite felt he fitted into social situations etc. It was quite emotional for him to realise this I think.

The spectrum is vast and really, we all of us tend to have various traits from it if only less severe and more manageable. Labelling in one sense is dangerous because people tend to make assumptions and everyone is different, but a formal diagnosis is helpful in terms of getting help. Certainly it is good that more well known people are now coming out about their difficulties with autism as it may help others and make them realise that they can still achieve things in life and not be written off as just rude, strange or thick as they were so often dismissed in the not so distant past.

As for McClean, he was never a brilliant player for us but thought he could put a shift in. I'll probably have to get my tin hat on for saying this but I never really understood all the vitriol aimed at him for not wanting to wear a poppy either. As he explained himself, this wasnt intended as a slur on those who fought and gave their lives in the two World Wars but growing up as he did during the Troubles he was hardly going to be a fan of the British Army. Maybe his autism played a part in the way he came across sometimes and the way in which he tried to explain himself? Seem to recall he was quite generous with his time and money to others too?

I agree. I have never understood why people expect him to sing the national anthem or wear a poppy if he belongs to another nation.
    If any of us played for an American team would we sing the star spangled banner or celebrate independence day?
    I wouldn't sing our national anthem either, it's a peasants song grovelling to their masters. It's not about England but a family that lives here.
    On the other hand I would sing Jerusalem at the top of my voice.

I admire him greatly for standing up for himself in the face of vitriol, good posts gents.

I agree with all this! When I was in the USA though watching West Brom play in friendlies and he turned his back on the national anthem - he was a complete and utter p rick in my eyes!

He could have and should have done nothing but to disrespect someone else’s national anthem was a disgrace!! He was rightly booed by the travelling fans!

Where he and his family come from is very sectarian, had he worn the poppy his family sadly would have been at risk, as said above I liked him, always put a shift in but was a bit of a liability in defence.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)