+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RAF Scampton

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Nimby's rule OK!
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram View Post
    Turning RAF Scampton into a immigrant camp is an absolute disgrace and a disservice to the members of 617 Squadron that gave their lives for this country during WW2. Guy Gibson and the rest of the heroes of the Dambusters raid would be wondering what they were fighting for?

The base should be preserved as a monument for the bravery of the men that gave their lives for this country . N1gger would be turning in his grave, as would the crews of the Dambusters Raid that gave their lives for this country.

I feel sorry for the immigrants but why do we have to home them in such historical sites?

Why can't the bloody French house them?

This country is a soft touch and a bloody disgrace toward the British people.

Many will not agree with my views but I say what I think and believe

My family fought for this country during WW2 and I know what they would be thinking if they were here today

Rant over
    Really not sure what your talking about here, perhaps time to take your pills dear?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Really not sure what your talking about here, perhaps time to take your pills dear?
    I don’t think you’ve quite read the room, sarcasm is out of fashion, try again and be constructive/grown up

👍

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I don’t think you’ve quite read the room, sarcasm is out of fashion, try again and be constructive/grown up
    Comments which border on lunacy, are racist, xenophobic and utterly stupid don't deserve a grown up response!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Comments which border on lunacy, are racist, xenophobic and utterly stupid don't deserve a grown up response!
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

SG Tallentyre aka Evelyn Hall pp Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

SG Tallentyre aka Evelyn Hall pp Voltaire
    Works both ways though, Mr. P and thus gets us nowhere.
    Personally I thought your comment about sinking boats was the most tasteless and offensive of the lot, but then you’d probably say you were just joking or, in AF speak, ‘just joshing rA’ (again!).
    Either way I fear we’re getting into dangerous territory...Swale has taken OTR at his - ‘I say it as I see it’ - word and replied in the same vein, while AF seems to be implying that allowances need to be made...possibly because OTR would appear to be the forum’s ‘senior’ contributor.
    The first a tad ruthless...the second, rather patronising...perhaps.
    I guess that ultimately it’s a case of, ‘if you live by the sword, you’ll die by the sword’.

P.S. Possibly something to be discussed elsewhere...I wonder how much you actually stand by your ‘I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it’ philosophy. Seems to be one of your favourites but it doesn’t actually stand much scrutiny imo.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 31-03-2023 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    AF seems to be implying that allowances need to be made...possibly because OTR would appear to be the forum’s ‘senior’ contributor.
    Not at all. OTR makes what I’d call an impassioned statement (or series of) from what appears to be a more ‘connected’ POV than the rest of us. He expresses empathy for the people dragged into this and appears to be more concerned at the lack of respect afforded what he considers a sacred place. He asks a valid question relating to the route into U.K. and responsibility of other countries. He also suggests that those who served there might be (my words) a bit confused about the U.K. they came across if they were somehow reincarnated in Scampton post it’s proposed re use. I’m aware of many including a much younger (than me) guy I work with (ex forces) who believe similar so I didn’t think age was relevant to OTR’s comments.

Edit: ‘take your pills dear’ is crudely disguised ageism, do you agree?
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 31-03-2023 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Not at all. OTR makes what I’d call an impassioned statement (or series of) from what appears to be a more ‘connected’ POV than the rest of us. He expresses empathy for the people dragged into this and appears to be more concerned at the lack of respect afforded what he considers a sacred place. He asks a valid question relating to the route into U.K. and responsibility of other countries. He also suggests that those who served there might be (my words) a bit confused about the U.K. they came across if they were somehow reincarnated in Scampton post it’s proposed re use. I’m aware of many including a much younger (than me) guy I work with (ex forces) who believe similar so I didn’t think age was relevant to OTR’s comments.

Edit: ‘take your pills dear’ is crudely disguised ageism, do you agree?
    Yes, I think it is. Equally I’d question your ‘I don’t think you’ve quite read the room’ quip and wonder why you didn’t pick up on GP’s ‘sink the boats’ comment so quickly or indeed...at all?
    As regards OTR...I may have been kinder than Swale, but I repeat, isn’t it a case of living and dying by the sword or, if you prefer, ‘if you can’t stand the heat...’

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Yes, I think it is. Equally I’d question your ‘I don’t think you’ve quite read the room’ quip and wonder why you didn’t pick up on GP’s ‘sink the boats’ comment so quickly or indeed...at all?
    ..’
    GP’s questionable comment wasnt aimed at a fellow forum member and wasn’t one of a multiple similar posts posted on a number of threads at roughly the same time

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)