+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If we are in the play offs !?

As a one off cup game I would have a keeper on the bench as its basically do or die and anything could happen as happened to Slocombe on Saturday, we still have 4 other options of outfield players(FL 7 subs lets hope we go up)as regards Mair I would probably bring him on for penalties because he does make the goal smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Proactive not Reactive View Post
    As a one off cup game I would have a keeper on the bench as its basically do or die and anything could happen as happened to Slocombe on Saturday, we still have 4 other options of outfield players(FL 7 subs lets hope we go up)as regards Mair I would probably bring him on for penalties because he does make the goal smaller.
    This
    Routinely not having a keeper on the bench is a risk/reward calculation....when the risk is elimination from the play-offs and loss of a promotion chance we've worked so hard for, and which might not come around again, the calculation changes completely. It's no longer just 1 match of 46 which you can make up for.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Having read ncfcog excellent post I was of the thought that if we are involved in the play offs, should we save a substitution spot in case it goes to penalties. Assuming we play slocombe should we then bring on Mair or Brooks for any potential penalty shoot out..?
    Having seen how Mair fills the goal and has saved a penalty the other night I would opt for him if a situation arose...!?
    Just a thought...
    I remember when Bristol Rovers did that at the end of extra time in the play off final in the NL , they replaced there normal goal keeper with Steve Mildenhall for the penalty shoot out

I have a strong view already we should have a keeper on the bench from now.
    I totally understand why we haven’t but we now basically have 5 cup finals and then possibly play offs. I now think the risk doesn’t outweigh the possibility of us losing a keeper during the game.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 30-03-2023 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Fixed typos for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    I remember when Bristol Rovers did that at the end of extra time in the play off final in the NL , they replaced there normal goal keeper with Steve Mildenhall for the penalty shoot out
    It was also done to great effect in the Australia v Peru World Cup play-off game

Keeper on the bench all the time for me. Bring him on for pens if needed.

Good idea. I had been thinking something similar.
    There is another alternative though. Play Mair and have 5 outfielders on the bench.

I wouldn’t disagree with this with Slocombe having a few injury problems and two youngsters whose confidence can evaporate with a mistake or two - still gives us 4 outfield players

I’d have a keeper on the bench but the bigger issue would be only using two outfield subs during the previous 120 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    I’d have a keeper on the bench but the bigger issue would be only using two outfield subs during the previous 120 minutes.
    Are you allowed to make an extra sub in extra time though ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast