+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The class of 2009/10 vs the class of 2022/23

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post

Although as you know I've been a big fan Ruben's since spotting his talen in the days of the online streams during the pandemic. A very early bandwagoner , you could say, but Maradona would get the nod.
    yeah, you did join my bandwagon, Laddo, and you were very welcome

but I remember it was only me going nuts on here when Ardley marginalised him and it then Burchnall and Ross took about 10 games to think about using him....we'll never know how close we were to wasting and losing him altogether

A
    Although as you know I've been a big fan Ruben's since spotting his talen in the days of the online streams during the pandemic.
    Is that talon? And was that why Ardley used to hook him so much?

Close. It's like talent but with the t missing. His only apparent weakness back then was his fitness levels (according to the then manager), hence being hooked.

My memory is a tad foggy on that one AC but it does ring a bell and I was very happy to join any fan who could spot his natural ability and big upside potential.

I'm a fan of anybody who likes to call it early, especially if it's positive and put it out there#bangwagon. Personally I much prefer that to the far safer, easier , sensible and frankly dull option of waiting, seeing, and commenting retrospectively with a revised narrative of course

When you know, you know

I think one thing this thread has highlighted is how much football has changed in the last fif**** years or so. You used to be able to win the league with a rigid 442, a bunch of hardworking lower-league players, and one or two stars. Now, there's much more emphasis on technique and fluidity.

I've often thought when watching this current Notts team that they're the best I've ever seen, regardless of the division they're playing in. That obviously can't be the case, because I've watched Notts in the top division against teams like Man Utd and Liverpool. But I don't ever remember Notts teams in the early 90s playing such nice football (although Mick Walker's team were easy on the eye).

Just think back to when we were a comfortable L1 side players like Haydn Hollis and managers like Shaun Derry. Or riding high at the top of L2 with Richard Duffy and Terry Hawkridge. We seem infinitely better now, but yet here we are in the fifth division.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 31-03-2023 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I think one thing this thread has highlighted is how much football has changed in the last fif**** years or so. You used to be able to win the league with a rigid 442, a bunch of hardworking lower-league players, and one or two stars. Now, there's much more emphasis on technique and fluidity.

I've often thought when watching this current Notts team that they're the best I've ever seen, regardless of the division they're playing in. That obviously can't be the case, because I've watched Notts in the top division against teams like Man Utd and Liverpool. But I don't ever remember Notts teams in the early 90s playing such nice football (although Mick Walker's team were easy on the eye).

Just think back to when we were a comfortable L1 side players like Haydn Hollis and managers like Shaun Derry. Or riding high at the top of L2 with Richard Duffy and Terry Hawkridge. We seem infinitely better now, but yet here we are in the fifth division.
    All true Slack.
    Our style now is a stand-out feature and the starting point when imagining a game between the 2 sides 13 years apart. It's also the starting point for the rest of the league in figuring out how to play us.

Full credit to LW and RH, they've used our advantages in this division and translated them into a the best promotion push we've had - superior resources and finances, greater pull for recruiting players, fantastic stadium and pitch.

There's something we don't fully know about this team though. How do they stand-up to fierce resistance and being put on the back foot? (we rarely have to, that's the whole point of making the most of those advantages). Kasper, Lee, Edwards, Ravenhill and Bishop covered us for that in their day. Best case scenario is that we never have it tested (apart from Wrexham away), but here's hoping we rise to the occasion if we have to face that in the play-offs.

Close. It's like talent but with the t missing. His only apparent weakness back then was his fitness levels (according to the then manager), hence being hooked.

My memory is a tad foggy on that one AC but it does ring a bell and I was very happy to join any fan who could spot his natural ability and big upside potential.

I'm a fan of anybody who likes to call it early, especially if it's positive and put it out there#bangwagon. Personally I much prefer that to the far safer, easier , sensible and frankly dull option of waiting, seeing, and commenting retrospectively with a revised narrative of course

When you know, you know
    apologies for jumping on the obviously missing t, but when there's a weak joke to make I can't resist...
    agree with the rest, it's been a happy story to follow for all fans, and let's hope it has that fairytale ending in May...it's been great, even if it doesn't

Although I very rarely get involved as you know weak jokes are not just allowed, but encouraged on here.

Agree whatever happens we will look back at RR's time at the club in a very positive way with lots of fondness. What has impressed me most other than the obvious, is his commitment, work ethic, unselfishness for such a talented player and his ability to produce as much away from home as he does at the Lane (that's my perception rather than cold hard facts so could be misplaced), which is a rarity with footballers.

Although I very rarely get involved as you know weak jokes are not just allowed, but encouraged on here.

Agree whatever happens we will look back at RR's time at the club in a very positive way with lots of fondness. What has impressed me most other than the obvious, is his commitment, work ethic, unselfishness for such a talented player and his ability to produce as much away from home as he does at the Lane (that's my perception rather than cold hard facts so could be misplaced), which is a rarity with footballers.
    I agree with all of that. He totally breaks the stereotype of the gifted playmaker who drifts in and out of games. He seems like a really likeable guy too. He's a proper star.

I was very happy to join any fan who could spot his natural ability and big upside potential.
    I doubt there was a fan who didn't spot his natural ability, it was very obvious right from the start. The frustrating thing was that it wasn't impacting games greatly. A flash of brilliance was followed by a long anonymous spell where he was hardly involved. Looking back, it was probably down in part to adapting to the rigours of the NL and lack of fitness. However, I'm convinced the big thing was the way he was managed. Ardley wasted him, Burchnall started to unlock the potential, and Luke Williams has maximised it.

Oh I am certain there were in that first season. If they did they kept very very quiet about it for an unnaturally long period of time.

Like Slack says that's a common trait and criticism of flair players. However if you factor in as you say new into the country, not fully fit as valid excuses for drifting in and out and games then the flashes of brilliance were well worth getting excited about once he settled in.

He has indeed developed season on season , NA had the worst or most limited version of RR for sure and also looking back wasted his talent. IB really improved him the next season and his productivity jumped hugely and as for LW and this season.... Well nothing needs adding

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast