+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The class of 2009/10 vs the class of 2022/23

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I think one thing this thread has highlighted is how much football has changed in the last fif**** years or so. You used to be able to win the league with a rigid 442, a bunch of hardworking lower-league players, and one or two stars. Now, there's much more emphasis on technique and fluidity.

I've often thought when watching this current Notts team that they're the best I've ever seen, regardless of the division they're playing in. That obviously can't be the case, because I've watched Notts in the top division against teams like Man Utd and Liverpool. But I don't ever remember Notts teams in the early 90s playing such nice football (although Mick Walker's team were easy on the eye).

Just think back to when we were a comfortable L1 side players like Haydn Hollis and managers like Shaun Derry. Or riding high at the top of L2 with Richard Duffy and Terry Hawkridge. We seem infinitely better now, but yet here we are in the fifth division.
    Good Post.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Some questions to ponder regarding the two outstanding Notts teams of the century:

1. Who is/was the better striker, Langstaff or Hughes?

2. What about Ruben vs Ben Davies?

3. If you had to make a combined 11 from the two teams, who would make the cut?

For me, Hughes is still the best striker and one of the best players I've seen in a Notts shirt. The fact he did it at all levels says everything you need to know. Could Langstaff do the same? Possibly, we'll see. Plus, Hughes was more than a striker, he was a talisman. I doubt we'll ever see another play get the fans going like he did. Certified Notts legend.

Ruben and Davies are/were very different players, so it's hard to compare. They both had a massive impact and were the main creators in two outstanding teams. Davies' delivery was superior, but Ruben's all-round game and creativity on the ball is probably better. Hard to say really, but if we go up and Ruben sticks around, he'll take the crown.

My combined 11:

Kasper

Edwards Lee Cameron

Nemane Palmer Bishop(cpt) Davies

Ruben

Hughes Langstaff

Subs: Slocombe, Thompson, Westcarr, Ravenhill, Rogers, Scott
    Manager: LW (with Cotterill as assistant)

I know I've shoehorned Davies in at LWB, but he who cares. WHAT A TEAM.
    I’m probably repeating what others have said but firstly Hughes proved himself at a higher level and commanded transfer fees in excess of £7.5m. He scored over 200 goals in the football league. There is no way he would ever have played for Notts had it not been for what happened. However what we have to remember is Hughes was signed based on what he had done in his career at a higher level and not what he maybe capable of in the future which is where Langstaff is. Hughes would be the kind of signing Wrexham would have made had he been playing today. Hughes for me is without doubt the best striker I’ve seen play for the club which is coming from someone who started supporting the club in the early 90’s. There is no doubt that Langstaff is a talent and is a special player. I guess it’s unlikely we will see anyone break the club goal scoring record again in our lifetimes. Perhaps we can have this conversation in another ten years time so we can look back on Langstaffs entire career to compare with Hughes.

Ruben v Davies, it’s Ruben for me who edges it. He is technically and creatively a better player in my opinion than Ben Davies was. Davies was good at set pieces such as corners and free kicks and was also good from a creative perspective. They are different players. Some of the ways Ruben threads the ball through tight defences and puts it behind and into space for forward runners to get on the end of is a sight to behold. Then there is Davies who did go onto play in the Championship. I think Ruben could ultimately play at that level as well, but it could be a step too far initially and maybe a spell in league one would be a good stepping stone.

I think your starting 11 is close to what I’d go for. Kasper was an outstanding goalkeeper and went on to prove it by becoming a premier league title winner with Leicester. What a formidable strikeforce Langstaff and Hughes would be. Bishop was the ultimate spoiler and box to box midfielder so can see why he makes it. He also went on to play in the championship as well. Palmer has played at a higher level and is class. Nemane and Davies out wide very good. The defence shows how the game has changed in the last 13 years. Both Edward’s and Lee were solid traditional lower league central defenders. They win the ball get rid of it and give it someone else further up the pitch. They do the ugly stuff and tidy up at the back. I don’t know how they would manage in a high line covering space behind and playing a possession and passing based game. Defenders in the modern game are expected to have the ball at their feet a lot more than previous years even at the lower levels. If we are basing it on today I’d only have one of Lee or Edward’s as they are like Rawlinson and maybe have Baldwin in to bring it more inline with our style of play today and the modern game.

It will be intresting to see how many of the class of 2022/23 go on to play in the championship or higher. Bishop, Davies and Kasper did. So can three of this years team or more do the same?
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 31-03-2023 at 06:58 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234