+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The class of 2009/10 vs the class of 2022/23

The class of 2009/10 vs the class of 2022/23

Some questions to ponder regarding the two outstanding Notts teams of the century:

1. Who is/was the better striker, Langstaff or Hughes?

2. What about Ruben vs Ben Davies?

3. If you had to make a combined 11 from the two teams, who would make the cut?

For me, Hughes is still the best striker and one of the best players I've seen in a Notts shirt. The fact he did it at all levels says everything you need to know. Could Langstaff do the same? Possibly, we'll see. Plus, Hughes was more than a striker, he was a talisman. I doubt we'll ever see another play get the fans going like he did. Certified Notts legend.

Ruben and Davies are/were very different players, so it's hard to compare. They both had a massive impact and were the main creators in two outstanding teams. Davies' delivery was superior, but Ruben's all-round game and creativity on the ball is probably better. Hard to say really, but if we go up and Ruben sticks around, he'll take the crown.

My combined 11:

Kasper

Edwards Lee Cameron

Nemane Palmer Bishop(cpt) Davies

Ruben

Hughes Langstaff

Subs: Slocombe, Thompson, Westcarr, Ravenhill, Rogers, Scott
    Manager: LW (with Cotterill as assistant)

I know I've shoehorned Davies in at LWB, but he who cares. WHAT A TEAM.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Some questions to ponder regarding the two outstanding Notts teams of the century:

Difficult questions or what?

1. Hughes, but with a caveat. Lee Hughes is the best striker I've ever seen in a Notts shirt. Too young to see Tommy Lawton, but I did see Sir Les Bradd in his prime. The problem is that Hughes was playing two levels below his natural place due to obvious reasons, while we still don't know Macca's natural place. To score 33 goals at level five and then score 40+ goals a level above means his potential is massive.

2. Can't separate them. Both creative players who really stood out and Davies went higher. Ruben could well do the same, so it's a bit like the first question. Maybe Davies at the moment, but could easily be Ruben in the future.

3. Again, how do you pick from what was a basic 4-4-2 back then against what I see as a more modern 3-5-1-1 now? The manager and formation would probably dictate who gets picked, and both managers have been near faultless!

1. Hughes in this side would score for breakfast, in all due respect to Langstaff, I don't think he scores many in the Munto team because the chances weren't there and we didn't dominate as much as we do now, we played quite a bit direct and I'm not sure that is Langstaff's game so on that basis, Hughes but both are fantastic strikers.

2. Ruben without a doubt. Davies had decent deadball delivery but as a winger he was too slow and in the middle, too lightweight. Ruben has deadball delivery (although arguably less capable) but his open play game runs rings around Davies.

3. I'd only pick Kasper, Hughes and maybe Bishop from the Munto side. Lee at a push for his distribution but I honestly think that the current squad is better than the Munto season

Hughes did it at a higher level like Kasper as well, so I think it’s unfair to judge Langstaff against him, he needs to be banging them at a higher level before you can compare him to Hughes, Langstaff goals are usually an instinctive strike, where Hughes could do that and create a chance and finish it too if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I honestly think that the current squad is better than the Munto season
    Perspective required. Did the Munto squad have the luxury of playing teams like Maidstone, Maidenhead, Gateshead, Altrincham, Dorking etc?

……………………..Kasper

………..Thompson….Lee……..Edwards

Maloney…….Bishop……..Palmer………….Richie

……………………...Ruben

………………Macca………..Hughes

Rodgers was the perfect foil for hughsey but I putting Macca in, well, because he’s banged in 40 goals for us!
    Last edited by TSANHO; 30-03-2023 at 07:41 PM.

I think Hughes was a better all round player and the question regarding Ruben and Davies no competition there for me Ruben all day long.

Hughes over Langstaff

Rodrigues over Davies

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Hughes over Langstaff

Rodrigues over Davies
    I have to agree...

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post

For me, Hughes is still the best striker and one of the best players I've seen in a Notts shirt. The fact he did it at all levels says everything you need to know. Could Langstaff do the same? Possibly, we'll see. Plus, Hughes was more than a striker, he was a talisman. I doubt we'll ever see another play get the fans going like he did. Certified Notts legend.

Ruben and Davies are/were very different players, so it's hard to compare. They both had a massive impact and were the main creators in two outstanding teams. Davies' delivery was superior, but Ruben's all-round game and creativity on the ball is probably better. Hard to say really, but if we go up and Ruben sticks around, he'll take the crown.

My combined 11:

Kasper

Edwards Lee Cameron

Nemane Palmer Bishop(cpt) Davies

Ruben

Hughes Langstaff

Subs: Slocombe, Thompson, Westcarr, Ravenhill, Rogers, Scott
    Manager: LW (with Cotterill as assistant)

I know I've shoehorned Davies in at LWB, but he who cares. WHAT A TEAM.
    Brilliant questions, but I’ve had beer, red wine and now on the rum so I’ll answer tomorrow (maybe) along with the goals and attendance question.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast