+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek - Dr Who - Red Dwarf

I’m 25 miles from Carlisle BDB, in a village with 310 residents. Norden would be a town around here so no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdogblue View Post
    Young Man… 🤣🤣🤣

No, didn’t think Carlisle had villages like Norden 😎
    I've got it on good authority that you was spotted acting suspiciously in Norden today bd 😏

Coincidentally Dr Who was the jackpot subject on tonight's Pointless

Stories in the Dr Who series...

William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton eras

John Pertwee and Tom Baker eras

Peter Davidson,Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy eras

The jackpot was won

In my opinion the best ever Doctor Who story was Genesis Of The Daleks in 1974.

The Doctor & pals have finished one story and are travelling back from one planet to another
    to return to the Tardis. They are travelling by means of a transmat (transfer matter) beam
    but they are intercepted by Time Lord technology and arrive on an unknown planet at an unknown
    time. A Time Lord appears and says that there are projections in time that the Daleks could
    eventually dominate the universe. He tasks the Doctor with going back to the point in time
    where the Daleks are just beginning to exist. He must either prevent them existing or make
    sure that they become decent entities. The Doctor takes on the task and just before disappearing
    the Time Lord says that they are on the planet Skaro at the appropriate time.

I believe that in this story we see what the writer Terry Nation has in his mind about the time
    of his youth. Davros and his henchmen all wear black. The good guys all wear white. This is a trope
    from the black and white cowboy / western films. Davros is clearly a megalomaniac and nothing
    must get in the way of his ambitions to ensure that his race is pure and dominant i.e. he is an Adolf
    Hitler type of character. The Davros henchmen all acknowledge his commands with a click of their heels.
    The chief henchman of Davros at one stage actually wears an Iron Cross. A war is ongoing between the
    Kaleds (Davros's race) and the Thals, who are in the final stages of preparing a rocket bomb that they
    believe will win that war for them. Forced labour is used to load the nose cone with lethal chemicals but
    the people who carry these chemicals into the rocket are affected by being in close proximity to these
    chemicals and after several deliveries they die. This is exactly what happened in Germany in 1944. The
    German V2 rocket bombs were made by forced labour. Routinely being in close proximity to the dangerous
    chemicals killed a lot of this forced labour. In fact more people were killed in the making of the V2 rocket
    bombs than were killed by their deployment. The Daleks were the 'successful' results of Davros's genetic
    experiments after numerous other less 'successful' creations were cast out into the wilderness. Towards
    the end of WW2 Hitler had ordered genetic experiments to be done but by then Germany was in such a
    dire state that very little actually happened. It is unpleasant to imagine what would have taken place in these
    experiments and what the actual results would have been.

In the denouement of the story another trope from the Terry Nation early years was that Davros was killed
    by what he created, just as Professor Frankenstein was killed by what he created. However, in that first
    Frankenstein film based upon Mary Shelly's book the story was so popular that numerous sequels were made.
    Maybe Professor Frankenstein did not die at the end of the first film, hmmmmm ......
    The same sort of revival occurred with Davros because he was a popular villain. Davros is still out there
    and we are certain to see him again.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 31-03-2023 at 08:54 PM.

And there was me thinking it was about the Tories.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    And there was me thinking it was about the Tories.
    Yes that is so, it was about Tories / Nazis, the Master Race unsullied by imperfections, differences, hating everything that was not them etc.

This is episode 1 of the 6. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7za8bq

The other 5 episodes are also on the same web site, which has its own search engine.

Mary Whitehouse objected to the first few seconds of episode 1. She also objected to subsequent episodes when the Doctor received several
    cynical blows. Maybe she still regarded it as being a program primarily for children.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 31-03-2023 at 09:50 PM.

Stefan,I'm going to put it out there and say that you are probably my favourite poster on this forum,your depth of knowledge on subjects is admirable and interesting to read,you've got the ability to make want to click onto links that I've got no interest in at all,are you a teacher or something,you remind me of Brian Cox in that you can keep people's attention even if they're not all that knowledgeable or interested in what's being said

Keep it up 😎

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    I've got it on good authority that you was spotted acting suspiciously in Norden today bd 😏
    Took the mutt for a trim & was robbed of £36 🤨

If Dr Who can only reincarnate a total of 12 times as stated in the 1983 episode Mawdryn Undead how come there's 15 doctors then? It's almost as if it was a kids programme

I rest my case m'lud and getting back to watching Red Dwarf who's tongue has always been firmly in its cheek

"Originally, the Doctor had only 12 regenerations to spare. However, in the Battle of Trenzalore, the Eleventh Doctor is granted a new set of lives by the Time Lords. It isn’t said how many regenerations this new cycle has, but it is implied to be another set of 12".

https://collider.com/doctor-who-regeneration-how-does-it-work-history-explained/#:~:text=Originally%2C%20the%20Doctor%20had%20only ,lives%20by%20the%20Time%20Lords.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 05-04-2023 at 09:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)