+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrexham (A)

Wrexham (A)

This will be our biggest test so far this season. On the day, it will depend on the players attitude and their character as a team. It's a test of brute force versus skill. We will have to work hard to overcome their direct style and use all our mental sharpness to deliver a win. It will be interesting to see if Wrexham are flexible enough to adapt their play when we go a goal up ... no one knows. Should be a classic...
    Last edited by SwalePie; 04-04-2023 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Fixed typos etc.

My worry is the high line we play. At home Wrexham broke this a few times.

The quick ball over the top turning our centre three is the concern for me.

Lots has been said about their long throws, but I think we’ll deal with them ok.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 04-04-2023 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    My worry is the high line we play. At home Wrexham broke this a few times.

The quick ball over the top turning our centre three is the concern for me.

Lots has been said about their long throws, but I think we’ll deal with then ok.
    This is why Brindley needs to come back in… just for his pace.

The high line enables us to press as a team without leaving gaps between the lines and I’m sure Wrexham will look to miss the lines and go long over the top more often than not.

I’m not sure our styles are as contrasting as some believe. Having read the Wrexham site it seems they are not all blood and guts and do play a bit as well. This makes them more dangerous IMO as they can be more versatile than us.

It'll be a continuous aerial bombardment from the whistle from Wrexham as we always look weak to that and that's their strength and style. Their pitch is absolutely dreadful for playing it on the ground which is our style mainly so I expect us to go over the top a fair bit as well. I can see it being a draw which will see us out of the running for the championship unfortunately.

I wonder what % possession Wrexham are avaeraging this season.

Wrexham fans having a laugh at Notts fan starting a thread about the Wrexham game It's a quite a laugh reading their replies, some obviously watch their football through rose tinted glasses. They apparently outplayed us at home, I remember it being quite even and the stats show we just edged it.

http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/w...8-notts-c.html

https://www.nottscountystats.com/post/report-wrexham-h

I think the 'brute force vs skill' idea is a bit naive to say the least. We have different styles, for sure, but Wrexham's squad is packed with talent. From what I can see, they can grind you down with long throws and ****housery AND play you off the park, whereas we can only do the latter.

My concern is that despite our incredible season, we have several weaknesses to exploit that pretty much anyone can see. Our passing about at the back makes us susceptible to mistakes when pressed high, we don't always look comfortable with early balls over the top and into channels, and we aren't the best at defending set pieces.

What's Wrexham's weakness? That's a harder questions to answer. As much as I love the way we play, Wrexham look a more complete team to me.

A lot hinges on Friday. If Wrexham somehow drop points against Halifax and we win, the pressure might get to them. But they've been under huge pressure all season with the Hollywood circus, and it hasn't been a problem so far.

I watched the Wrexham v Oldham game, and it was quite demoralising actually. They do go direct, but they’re also very capable of playing really nice football as well….a bit like a Sam Allardyce team I suppose, they play all their nice stuff in the opponents half whereas we try to play it everywhere.

We’ve got our work cut out for sure but on the upside their pitch looked much better than it did a few months ago. Nothing but a win will do I guess but it is hard to see how we do that with how well Wrexham have done this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I watched the Wrexham v Oldham game, and it was quite demoralising actually. They do go direct, but they’re also very capable of playing really nice football as well….a bit like a Sam Allardyce team I suppose, they play all their nice stuff in the opponents half whereas we try to play it everywhere.

We’ve got our work cut out for sure but on the upside their pitch looked much better than it did a few months ago. Nothing but a win will do I guess but it is hard to see how we do that with how well Wrexham have done this year.
    I think the fact we need to win makes it easier for us. We only have one option - go out and attack. If a draw would do, it would be trickier to outline a game plan. Besides, we're not the kind of team that sets up to take a point.

The way I see it, we're finishing second barring a miracle. So let's just go for it. If we lose, nothing really changes - we're finishing second. If we somehow win, who knows what could happen in the remaining games. So it's a bit like a free hit.

Reminds me of a Warnock side's approach.

I'm no expert on their side, I could only name half their side. However Wrexham have weaknesses by all accounts, their midfield can be and has been overrun, they don't have the most mobile centre half who won't like our movement up top. They often start slow in games, and have fallen behind numerous times when it's been unexpected.

I'm sure the people on here who spend time on the Wrexham board will know far more about them than me just from what they have read during the season.

Tbh I can't see us being the first side to win there, we could draw but unlikely as no good to us. But as a betting man I would bet on a home win unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    This will be our biggest test so far this season. On the day, it will depend on the players attitude and their character as a team. It's a test of brute force versus skill. We will have to work hard to overcome their direct style and use all our mental sharpness to deliver a win. It will be interesting to see if Wrexham are flexible enough to adapt their play when we go a goal up ... no one knows. Should be a classic...
    The different styles thing is exaggerated IMHO. Fair to say they can play a bit too. But, if you've got weapons like the long throw you're probably going to use them.

Wrexham at home are W19 D1 L0, they will be in front of a big partisan crowd on their own (rather poor) pitch.
    In spite of all this, there's still a chink of light for Notts.
    At the risk of mixing my metaphors here's the recipe:
    1. Start with Notts at/near their best.
    2. Sir in a Wrexham side somewhat below their best.
    3. A dash of good fortune to taste.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast