+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Goodwin.

Talking like a man who wants to stay, in today's press.

“I don’t want to lose any of the good players, and if I am given the opportunity to be here next season, Rory is someone I would like to be working with".

I thought at the time Goodwin would be a good appointment for Aberdeen, not sure what went wrong, but he couldn't seem to organise the defence, those last few results when you consider Darvel were on a par with Jack Ross 0-9 levels, Aberdeen fans would probably best answer that. They seemed to sign a few defenders and Shinnie which toughened them up, so again I'm not sure how much control Goodwin had over transfers. Maybe he is good coach, but maybe his eye for a player isn't so good, again I don't now but these are all the things you have to consider. If he was in charge next season he would have a head start on knowing the strengths and weakness of team, and if we stayed up, he'd also have the fan base on side. Would make a change to have some continuity over the summer.

There is probably much of a like between most of these coaches, a lot of the time it just comes down to player recruitment, I don't know what is happening with that going forward. Think back to our recruitment in the championship last time, we seemed to have no plan or model to support likes of McKinnon, and it was shambolic, when we were constantly trying to rebuild squads in one transfer window. Often as well having to dish 2-3 year deals out to guys who weren't SPL level, so if you get up you are stuck with them.

Shambles Laszlo
    Neilson
    Mellon
    Courts
    Ross
    Fox

Goodwin

It’s early days but the overall improvement is there for us all to see. So far the best in that list for me. Hope Jim gets the chance to stay on no matter which league we are in. I like him, which I have to say I am surprised about.

We had a good run of managers after Laszlo, Neilson, Mellon and Courts all did what was asked of them and were successes. For whatever reasons Ross and Fox were disasters. Too many managers in too short a space of time though. At least you get a decent sample size of games with Goodwin to make a judgement at the end of the season. Football management is crazy now, with player turn over you get little opportunity to actually coach players long term and develop teams, and 5-6 losses your job is under pressure. Add to that the cut throat nature of SPL, where you effectively have 20% of the league relegated/play off if you discount the old firm, and clearly Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen have a big financial gap from the next biggest club which I would argue is ourselves, and add into the mix two of the other sides playing on plastic pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by moicher View Post
    Great video. Let’s just hope we can stay up. Inspiring team talk - over to the players now to deliver

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineDream View Post
    Shambles Laszlo
    So far the best in that list for me.
    settle down, we all thought Neilson was great for 6 months, the same could happen to Goodwin

Name:  table.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  5.4 KB

I don't think we would be looking at those stats if we stuck with "Foxy"

Considering the loss was against (whatever they are calling themselves now) No matter how much you like or dislike JG, that is defo progression.

I know it always seems obvious from the outside, but.... why don't we all (the club) wait and see what happens, where we end up, and discuss the future on the back of results, league position , player attitude etc etc..?

I wouldn't sign him up just yet, but... unless he is the best actor since Mark McManus he seems pretty genuine to me.

Cue: The Who..... "We won't get fooled again"

PS: Nae "heez murdir" comments please.

I seriously doubt we can do better. He knows the club, the players, he's experienced in the SPL, knows what's required in Scottish football, is getting results so far and that's a big advantage over appointing a different candidate.
    If there was a talented emerging coach who's worked miracles in the Championship, well maybe in the future although I don't see one now. Maybe Ian Murray is one to watch.

But all told I think you have to put playing likes and dislikes to one side when considering Goodwin. Could we do better, tbh I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    settle down, we all thought Neilson was great for 6 months, the same could happen to Goodwin
    This is true but I never liked Neilson or his style from day 1. I've always said he's very average unless he has a budget to out spend the immediate competition.

Quote Originally Posted by the_arab View Post
    Settle down, FAF.

You missed the early days part then and the list of managers that introduced the brutal football we have been forced to endure for years? There is no denying things have improved under Goodwin despite some of the players we are forced to play and the catastrophic transfer windows. Only expressing my opinion and so far I think he is the one on that list I would rather have in charge.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)