+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Goodwin.

I'd give him a contract right now, good fit whichever division we are in. I suspect we will need to see where we are playing before we know what we can afford to offer him.

"Dundee United boss Jim Goodwin reveals why he’s snubbing job offers as manager attracts interest from down south"

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...english-clubs/

Quote Originally Posted by Handsup View Post
    I'd give him a contract right now, good fit whichever division we are in. I suspect we will need to see where we are playing before we know what we can afford to offer him.
    I agree. We should be offering him a deal right now.
    One option based on Premiership survival and the other based on relegation with a good bonus for first year return. (Club don't need to announce that)
    I think it would give the fans and the players a massive boost to hear he's committed his future to the club.
    No certainty he'd sign it though, maybe he genuinely does want to wait.

I want him to get the job based on him being a success, if we go down then I'm sorry but he's hardly a success. We are in a mini league with Killie, Saints and County so we are not asking for the earth by making safety his target if he wants the job long term.

Contracts are a distraction at this stage of the season. I want nothing but 100% focus on survival from players and management...their agents can deal with any interest...but nothing should be getting put in front of our staff before we know what league we are in next season. Also would prefer for none of our players to be talking to the press until then either...the last thing we need is for our players being the team talk for our opposition! 100% concentration and focus..we don't need distractions!

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    I want him to get the job based on him being a success, if we go down then I'm sorry but he's hardly a success. We are in a mini league with Killie, Saints and County so we are not asking for the earth by making safety his target if he wants the job long term.
    I can see this point of view but if we go down it won't be at Goodwins door.

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    Contracts are a distraction at this stage of the season. I want nothing but 100% focus on survival from players and management...their agents can deal with any interest...but nothing should be getting put in front of our staff before we know what league we are in next season. Also would prefer for none of our players to be talking to the press until then either...the last thing we need is for our players being the team talk for our opposition! 100% concentration and focus..we don't need distractions!
    But speculation is maybe a bigger distraction. He's ideal for us whichever league we're playing in next season surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    I can see this point of view but if we go down it won't be at Goodwins door.
    Well technically it will be though. Five games left and as it stands now we stay up, if we go down then that's a decline which will be (at least partly) his responsibility.

Speculation is not a bad thing as it shows that he is doing a good job. His agent can deal with speculation. What we don't want is for the players to think that it doesn't really matter what they do as the manager will be off next season anyway. The season that we went down last...we had players contacting their agents in January to make sure that they had release clauses in the case of relegation. We had players talking to other clubs before the seaon was finished. We can't afford to have distractions and it is up to the manager to lead from the front....prove that you are worth a new contract here or at another club by playing well until the end of the season. If the media realise that all our staff are singing from the same hymn sheet, as in " I am only interested in the here and now at Dundee United"....then they don't have a story! Speculate all they want! It would be mad to give out contracts on 3 decent games...if that was the criteria, then the keeper will be getting an extension! As soon as our fate is decided..then we can review all the contracts at the club! We could be looking at having a new owner and sporting director by next season....so who knows what the future holds!

Just seen that he's said he's not considering anything until the season ends.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)