+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Rams v Dons

Idiotic officials, time wasting opposition and so many missed chances...the story of this season on one bank holiday afternoon.

Had enough now of second half fade aways too...after being unlucky not to be at least three up at half time we spent the first twenty minutes of the second looking lazy and complacent and the subs provided nothing. Thank God for Cashin and Roberts...two beacons of excellence throughout.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 10-04-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Idiotic officials, time wasting opposition and so many missed chances...the story of this season on one bank holiday afternoon.

Had enough now of second half fade aways too...after being unlucky not to be at least three up at half time we spent the first twenty minutes of the second looking lazy and complacent and the subs provided nothing. Thank God for Cashin and Roberts...two beacons of excellence throughout.
    Agreeing with that (esp Cashin and Roberts who, except for one awful pass by Roberts, were a pleasure to watch), with one exception. It isn't luck. Case in point NML's two chances in the first half, failed to hit the net through bad technique and/or rush of blood, not through bad luck. There were other examples, and whils you rA are probably only using it as a turn of phrase, PW seems to believe it. That's worrying in a manager.

Ref hopeless, best one we've had this year was the female ref from a month or so ago, DCFCA may well be on later with his conspiracy theories and you know what, I almost see his point (almost)

WE expected the officials to be poor at this level and they are, BUT, how many times do we throw away pts? dominate and fail to score and you get punished. Fr me thats it, may be pessimistic, but think we have run out of gas and can see us finishing 7th or 8th, not bad all things considered but a season of what might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    WE expected the officials to be poor at this level and they are, BUT, how many times do we throw away pts? dominate and fail to score and you get punished.
    Spot on! Most worrying for me though is the number of poor second half performances and ill directed substitutions. Yesterday was a classic example of that.
    For me Warne has until next Christmas/January to prove something. He’s good at talking the talk...the rest remains to be seen. Unfair to judge now...he needs a preseason and to bring in his own players, but we need to see more consistency, greater fitness, better discipline and a much more promising league position by the midway point of next season if he is to win over the growing number of doubters.
    Yes the refs have often been cr@p and yesterday’s simply wasn’t fit for purpose but that’s the same for everyone.

The team has burned out, and has lost a bit of composure on the ball. The former was always on the cards.
    I'm not jumping on PW's case any time soon, even with a pre-season he's still having to beg and borrow players for £0, so if he's going to rebuild it will take longer. I disagree that he has to prove anything, he's already proven at this level, so we'll just have to be patient.
    4 points from 6 is ok over the bank holiday period, if we get anywhere near the top 6 then that's already a miracle in my book.

Ref was crap but does seem to know the rules better than most fans. Two shouts for penalties for handball, neither were. One saw the arm tucked up against the body, the other... well, it was Collo who handled. The 3rd shout was for the Knight incident. That's a 6 and 2 threes issue to me. As many refs would have given it as wouldn't have. This one didn't. Why? IMO he thought that Knight veered off course to invite the challenge. He did change course. Nowt the defender could do will have been the reasoning. I'd have given it. The defender caused Knighty to go down. It was far more a penalty than the one Plymouth got against us... whilst watching on RamsTV I said immediately "It's a penalty and he won't give it".

2nd game on the trot we limited the opposition to just 3 shots. Nothing much wrong defensively. Going forward we lack bite and a decent last pass in the final third. Players trying overly intricate stuff. Overhitting crosses. Wrong choices. Missing the target when hitting it is a much easier option. Choosing to shoot low when the keeper is coming down to smother a shot, give it a bit of air and in it goes.

Ref way too lax on time wasting and on "injuries". Getting rules wrong as well. Cash and Collo collided and needed treatment. Ref let Cash stay on but Collo had to leave the field. Wrong. Should both have been allowed to stay on...

The rotund bint aint started to clear her throat as yet but I think we are now likely to miss out on the playoffs. Pompey at home and Wendy away in the last 2 games of the season means we'll have to get max points in the next 5 games to have a chance. Our toothless tigers up top will ensure we don't...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    The team has burned out, and has lost a bit of composure on the ball. The former was always on the cards.
    I'm not jumping on PW's case any time soon, even with a pre-season he's still having to beg and borrow players for £0, so if he's going to rebuild it will take longer. I disagree that he has to prove anything, he's already proven at this level, so we'll just have to be patient.
    4 points from 6 is ok over the bank holiday period, if we get anywhere near the top 6 then that's already a miracle in my book.
    I’m not ‘jumping on PW’s case’ either, RS...but I disagree that he doesn’t have anything to prove. He does...indeed all managers do at some point. Even Klopp, who has won everything with Liverpool, is now back to proving himself with the rebuild of a side that has spectacularly fallen from grace this season.
    It’s the same with Warne...yes he’s done it with Rotherham, but Derby is a different proposition. We are a ‘bigger’ club and a bigger ‘target’ for the rest of the division. It helps to have our level of support - when things are going well - but we are probably one of three teams in L1 (the others being Wednesday and Bolton) who have the history and the stadia to incentivise visitors week in week out.
    Tbh, my head is still suggesting we’d be better off not going up so I’m disappointed but not too bothered. The collapse over the last couple of months however has been alarming and I know he’s hamstrung by the EFL sanctions, but everyone knew that before he arrived, so I’m still hoping for significant strengthening and a lot of well thought out ins and outs during the summer regardless of which ‘division’ we’re in.

P.S. Some points for concern...I imagine we’ll have to replace Davies, Stearman and Chester for starters. I’m not sure how many more games McGoldrick and Forsyth have in their legs despite both being leading candidates for ‘poty’ imo. One more (L1) season maybe. Of the rest I’d love to keep Roberts but I’m not sure how likely that is and I’m genuinely disappointed at the lack of progress made by young players like Sibley and Knight since Warne’s arrival. They seemed much better and more confident players last season imo.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 11-04-2023 at 01:11 PM.

rA, Roberts' contract runs out in the summer so, if Brighton (he is from BHA, isn't he?) don't offer him a new deal he'll be on a free. he's come through their Academy so they'd get a small fee based on that. No idea if that would rule out us being able to sign him.

Knight and Sibs have both spent half the season playing full back, Jason was also injured for a few weeks. As well as FB, Sibs has played both left and right side of the 3 as well as in the #10 role and, IIRC, a game as DM. JK has also played the wide roles, a central role and DM. Is it any wonder they may not have progressed under PW?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    rA, Roberts' contract runs out in the summer so, if Brighton (he is from BHA, isn't he?) don't offer him a new deal he'll be on a free. he's come through their Academy so they'd get a small fee based on that. No idea if that would rule out us being able to sign him.

Knight and Sibs have both spent half the season playing full back, Jason was also injured for a few weeks. As well as FB, Sibs has played both left and right side of the 3 as well as in the #10 role and, IIRC, a game as DM. JK has also played the wide roles, a central role and DM. Is it any wonder they may not have progressed under PW?
    Take your point, MA...however I was making an observation rather than a criticism.
    There are a number of parallels between our situation now and that of a year ago.
    We are similarly uncertain of which level we’ll be playing at next season, although personally I think it’ll be L1 again, and last season saw Knight miss a chunk after a training ground tackle from Rooney (W) while Sibley did tend to be used, if memory serves, as a ‘utility’ player for much of last season too.
    My point really is that, for whatever reason, this time last year I’d have been looking to rebuild around players like Knight, Sibley, Davies, Cashin and Thompson, along with two or three who we rapidly lost as the vultures gathered
    A year on and I think Davies, lovely man and legend though he is, may be finished, Thompson has disappeared on dubious loan to the wastelands of S****horpe, and of the other youngsters only Cashin has really flourished under the new regime imo.
    Looking at the current squad I’d be looking at building around Wildsmith, Roberts, Cashin, Fozzy, Rooney, Corey Smith and McGoldrick. That doesn’t mean we have to ship out the rest of course, but there’ll need to be some serious wheeling and dealing over the summer. We can’t build without shipping out some wages and for me the seven I’ve mentioned - who share only Cashin from a year ago - are the ones I’d most like to see here next season. Just my opinion.

If we don't go up by hook or crook this year, I don't expect us to be challenging next year either. Didzy as a great example, is too good for this level, though age will get him and it will be incredibly difficult to replace him, which leaves us needing a longer term plan. We're not actually in that different a situation as the start of the year, we just have some players on the books, so it's a huge ask to expect more miracles.
    We could be here a while.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)