+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Rams v Dons

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    If we don't go up by hook or crook this year, I don't expect us to be challenging next year either. Didzy as a great example, is too good for this level, though age will get him and it will be incredibly difficult to replace him, which leaves us needing a longer term plan. We're not actually in that different a situation as the start of the year, we just have some players on the books, so it's a huge ask to expect more miracles.
    We could be here a while.
    Untypically pessimistic for you, RS.
    Can’t see Didzy not being with us next season. He’s 36 next November and Championship squads were hardly clamouring over him last summer. He’s a local (Nottingham born) lad, seems settled and has something akin to local hero status with us where he’s playing in a decent stadium in front of 25k fans every other week.
    As regards the rest...we’ll obviously never know how Rosenior would have managed compared with Warne. The former got three months and probably 6/10 for his signings. The latter has had seven months and probably deserves 3/10 for his, albeit in slightly more difficult circumstances.
    What we do know is that Warne was acquired because of his expertise in getting clubs up from L1 to the Championship. He may still do it, against all the odds...and good on him if he does, but if, as seems more likely, we’re still trying to reach the Championship this time next year I doubt I’ll be alone in expecting to see huge improvement.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 12-04-2023 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Take your point, MA...however I was making an observation rather than a criticism.
    Not taken as critique rA. Merely putting forward my view as to why JK and Sibs haven't progressed.

Of Monday's starting line-up, I'd look to keep Wildsmith Rooney and Cash.
    Roberts I'd like but I fear the "business plan" will get in the way.
    MF 5 - I fear we'll lose Knight. NML is only 30 and Barks is 29 and I'd expect both to stay the course next season with a proper pre season behind them and not have the dip they have been experiencing. I was happy with Corey Smith at RB, less so in MF. At fault for both goals versus Ipswich. Seems to dally on the ball to me and needs to get back quicker when an attack breaks down. Hourihane would be good in a more attacking role than at DM. "Only" 32 and has a season left in him, especially if we have "rotation room".
    Didzy is a shoe in and, as long as we play with 2 up top, I'd be happy to have Collo back.

From the bench, we have Forsyth who looks like he has at least a season in and around the match day in him.
    Bird, along with JK, possibly the only players we have who'd command a decent fee.
    Sibley. I like the lad. He has something to offer. Played a plethora of roles the past 2 seasons which has stymied his development. Either give him a run in a position or let him go. I prefer the first option.
    Dobbin. Loanee going back to the Toffees.
    White. Another loanee who will return home.
    McGee. I think his contract runs out in the summer. I wouldn't argue if he stayed on a free.
    Davies. Thanks old soldier. Always there when needed. As many as 8 sub appearances and then I hope you get a job coaching. You have a wealth of experience and knowledge you can pass on to the next generation. Maybe at Derby but certainly somewhere.

That leaves Chester who will be gone, Springett who will return home and Thomson who may well be let go.

What will Warne do? No idea. We'll have to wait and see.

Unhappy

If we don't go up by hook or crook this year, I don't expect us to be challenging next year either. Didzy as a great example, is too good for this level, though age will get him and it will be incredibly difficult to replace him, which leaves us needing a longer term plan. We're not actually in that different a situation as the start of the year, we just have some players on the books, so it's a huge ask to expect more miracles.
    We could be here a while.

Forget your hooks and crooks, if you manage to finish 5th or 6th you'll play Barnsley and be outclassed again.
    Last edited by GUNTERYY36; 12-04-2023 at 03:59 PM.

Untypically pessimistic for you, RS.
    Can’t see Didzy not being with us next season. He’s 36 next November and Championship squads were hardly clamouring over him last summer. He’s a local (Nottingham born) lad, seems settled and has something akin to local hero status with us where he’s playing in a decent stadium in front of 25k fans every other week.
    As regards the rest...we’ll obviously never know how Rosenior would have managed compared with Warne. The former got three months and probably 6/10 for his signings. The latter has had seven months and probably deserves 3/10 for his, albeit in slightly more difficult circumstances.
    What we do know is that Warne was acquired because of his expertise in getting clubs up from L1 to the Championship. He may still do it, against all the odds...and good on him if he does, but if, as seems more likely, we’re still trying to reach the Championship this time next year I doubt I’ll be alone in expecting to see huge improvement.
    Blimey rA, a huge improvement? You don't ask for much, perhaps take the time to consider how many seasons, Wednesday, Ipswich and Sunderland spent in this league and without the major handicap Derby have had of going into administration!

The facts are that Warne took over with a team that had been cobbled together, has had one transfer window when he was reliant upon free transfer and available loans. Most fans surely think its miraculous we are still in with a chance of a play off place?

As we all know nothing is guaranteed in football, realistically, even if as seems likely the business plan is more flexible next season, A top 6 place is the target. Taking Ipswich as an example, they finished 9th and 11th (x2) in the last 3 seasons and are now pushing for a top 2 place.

This season, preparations will have been ongoing, so come the transfer window, action will be happening in a planned way, so on paper we should be challenging for promotion, but if not we need to give the guy time to turn this club around.

We do need to temper expectations, its a hard league to get out of, we can be pleased that this season we haven't been outclassed and are still in with a chance of promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Blimey rA, a huge improvement? You don't ask for much, perhaps take the time to consider how many seasons, Wednesday, Ipswich and Sunderland spent in this league and without the major handicap Derby have had of going into administration!

The facts are that Warne took over with a team that had been cobbled together, has had one transfer window when he was reliant upon free transfer and available loans. Most fans surely think its miraculous we are still in with a chance of a play off place?

As we all know nothing is guaranteed in football, realistically, even if as seems likely the business plan is more flexible next season, A top 6 place is the target. Taking Ipswich as an example, they finished 9th and 11th (x2) in the last 3 seasons and are now pushing for a top 2 place.

This season, preparations will have been ongoing, so come the transfer window, action will be happening in a planned way, so on paper we should be challenging for promotion, but if not we need to give the guy time to turn this club around.

We do need to temper expectations, its a hard league to get out of, we can be pleased that this season we haven't been outclassed and are still in with a chance of promotion.
    Yep...fair comment. Sorry if it came across as expecting too much.
    I’m talking about the last two and a half months really. Of course if you’d said pre season that we’d be in with a shout of promotion with just a few games to go I’d have taken it.
    On the other hand...if you’d said six months later, in mid to late January, that even finishing sixth might be beyond us I think most would have been disappointed and I do expect a big improvement on what we’ve seen in the last three home games.
    Expectations were raised and you’re right I do need to ‘temper’ them...for this season. Next time around though...I disagree...I do think a relatively comfortable top six finish is definitely the target and I am disappointed by the lack of progress shown by the majority of our youngsters.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 12-04-2023 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    Forget your hooks and crooks, if you manage to finish 5th or 6th you'll play Barnsley and be outclassed again.
    Rubbish. You’ll lose in the semi to Peterborough and we’ll wait til the final to be outclassed by them

So we have to push Bolton out of the playoffs and then best one of the Tractor Boys, Wendies or the Hoes. Nice dream

Yep...fair comment. Sorry if it came across as expecting too much.
    I’m talking about the last two and a half months really. Of course if you’d said pre season that we’d be in with a shout of promotion with just a few games to go I’d have taken it.
    On the other hand...if you’d said six months later, in mid to late January, that even finishing sixth might be beyond us I think most would have been disappointed and I do expect a big improvement on what we’ve seen in the last three home games.
    Expectations were raised and you’re right I do need to ‘temper’ them...for this season. Next time around though...I disagree...I do think a relatively comfortable top six finish is definitely the target and I am disappointed by the lack of progress shown by the majority of our youngsters.
    I see what you mean, but it must be difficult for the younger players, league 1 isn't a league where skill is respected! That and perhaps having too much put on their shoulders, when ideally there would be some young but experienced players to take the strain?

As for a relatively comfortable top 6 finish, I refer to Ipswich's final positions in the last 3 seasons prior to this one. We should be there, BUT.

We've come into this season less prepared than the teams who come up from L2... We "should" be in a relegation battle. We are marginally better off for next season, with the luxury of a manager in place and planning. But, still far off the majority the teams in this league who have steady squads and are allowed to buy. The only advantage we have is the club "size" and what that can attract.
    Warne can't spend next season, so will be working with his hands behind his back. If we finish midtable next season, I might be frustrated but won't be calling for Warne's head. He deserves, unless we are looking at L2, time to rebuild and that includes the opportunity to wheel and deal with a bit of cash- which won't be next season.

We've come into this season less prepared than the teams who come up from L2... We "should" be in a relegation battle. We are marginally better off for next season, with the luxury of a manager in place and planning. But, still far off the majority the teams in this league who have steady squads and are allowed to buy. The only advantage we have is the club "size" and what that can attract.
    Warne can't spend next season, so will be working with his hands behind his back. If we finish midtable next season, I might be frustrated but won't be calling for Warne's head. He deserves, unless we are looking at L2, time to rebuild and that includes the opportunity to wheel and deal with a bit of cash- which won't be next season.
    It does seem from various sources that the EFL is reviewing the business plan with Derby and it is more than possible that the club will be able to buy players next transfer window. It would seem that Derby have operated well within this years business plan and we have a good relationship with the League. So here's hoping that Warne will not be that restricted in getting players in, though clearly one should not expect significant spending, but it should be a much better scenario than last summer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)