+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laura Currie of the UOGB

Chalky,
    She will be largely outside the UK between now and almost the end of October, on the UOGB tours of Canada, USA, Germany and Sweden. According to one of the UOGB, Peter Brook Turner, the tours of Canada / USA will consist of a line-up of 7. I expect that during the time between now and almost the end of October some people's wishes for time off will be granted and the full squad of 12 will be used to get a 7 or 8 piece. George, the founder in 1985 and leader, will not be playing on the tours of Canada / USA but there is no problem about Ben Rouse coming in and being leader on stage, playing all the complex melodies. I have complete confidence in all the squad of 12. It does not much matter to me which 7 or 8 are in the band at any time. The quality does not fluctuate.

https://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/upcoming-events

I've got admit that the UOGB is quietly growing on me,I enjoy listening to their renditions of the songs that I love from the 70's and 80's and they don't take themselves to seriously which I like,it's not to the point that I'm going to head to the Music Inn on Alfreton Road just yet to buy a ukulele but I would consider buying a ticket to see them if the price was right (sub £30) presuming that they your the States and Canada as well as Europe I'm presuming that they cost more than that,tbh I think that I would be out of place in a posh upper middle class audience that go to The Proms

Quote Originally Posted by _Stefan_Kuntz View Post
    I meant accompanying herself on ukuleles, bass guitar, furniture etc, singing with herself and editing it all together as in her 'Dedicated Follower Of Fashion'.
    I honestly say that her version of Love is a Laserquest is stunningly beautiful,I enjoyed the Artic Monkeys version but she gives the song more depth and feeling,it's a pity that it's only available via YouTube

I don't think that their audiences are upper middle class. The band is in business to go wherever there is an audience for it, which is anywhere. Even their proms concerts had a UOGB audience rather than an upper middle class audience. Over 1,000 of the proms audience brought their own ukuleles to join in with the tune that they knew that they would also be playing. I don't think that the upper middle class own ukuleles. A new soprano ukulele can be bought for £30. There are ascending prices for ukulele types such as the smallest (highest pitched) sopranino, soprano, concert, tenor, baritone and bass. Probably 90% of ukuleles sold are in the price range of £30 to £100 but the UOGB mostly play instruments that are totally hand made for them by the best experts, costing thousands of pounds. There is very little difference between the sound from a bass ukulele and a bass guitar. The UOGB bass player usually plays a bass ukulele but sometimes a bass guitar. On an aircraft every category of ukulele can be carried on in its bag as hand luggage. There is video of the band at airports carrying their ukuleles as hand luggage.

I like their laid back approach to songs and audience participation and looks like a enjoyable night out,I'm not convinced that they all have fantastic voices but as a unit they work well together,I'm presuming that you've seen them live Stefan as you have a good knowledge of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    I like their laid back approach to songs and audience participation and looks like a enjoyable night out,I'm not convinced that they all have fantastic voices but as a unit they work well together,I'm presuming that you've seen them live Stefan as you have a good knowledge of them?
    I have not seen them live. I occasionally email their office manager and I also occasionally email Peter Brook Turner and Will Grove White of the UOGB.

Quote Originally Posted by _Stefan_Kuntz View Post
    I have not seen them live. I occasionally email their office manager and I also occasionally email Peter Brook Turner and Will Grove White of the UOGB.
    I'm amazed that you haven't seen them,the next time that they do a UK tour you must make the effort to go and see the UOGB live,if there's nowhere in Cumbria that they are visiting then make a mini break of a city that they are playing at,if you don't one day you will wish that you had

Chalky,
    In case you think that some YouTube videos may eventually be deleted there is a way to download all the videos in Laura Currie's
    YouTube channel to a folder on your PC using the free version of AVC.
    Create a folder, i.e. Laura Currie.
    In AVC select Video Downloader.
    In Video Downloader the Add URL(s) window appears. Paste https://www.youtube.com/@ibemelaura which is Laura's YouTube channel URL.
    Click on the Analyse button.
    After a few minutes the thumbnail photos representing each individual video will appear with a tick to their left.
    Click on Settings which is the icon at the top of the screen to the right of the clock face.
    In Settings find your newly created Laura Currie folder by means of the '...' icon and click on the Apply button.
    The ticks to the left of each thumbnail photo indicate that the file is to be downloaded into your new folder.
    If you click on a tick it disappears and that video will not be downloaded.
    If you click on Check All it will remove all the ticks and you can just click on each tick box to bring back the tick
    to download that video.
    Make sure that on the right of the screen Auto is set with Download Quality set to High, unless you want to experiment with Manual.
    When you have set up the number of ticks that you want then click on the Start button and it then does all the downloads
    that you have selected by the ticks.

I have done this using Laura's channel, downloading all the 96 videos. It took 92 minutes and used 4.32GB disc space.
    The videos go into a sub-folder of your Laura Currie folder, called VideoDownloader.
    I then deleted the lot and began again, downloading 75 of the 96 vidoes from https://www.youtube.com/@ibemelaura.
    It took 42 minutes and used 3.32GB of disc space.

Once you start to run AVC it is quite easy to use. Above I just explain every little detail.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 02-05-2023 at 02:34 PM.

Blimey,I think that you've greatly underestimated my knowledge of computers and how to use them, infact I haven't even got a computer and only use a phone and I struggle with that,I got totally lost about the third of what you was explaining to me Stefan tbh but it does look impressive when I clicked onto the links,thanks for the message though,if I was more tech savvy i would have used it

How is the UOGB tour going? Has there been any clips on YouTube?

How the hell did "overestimated" turn into "underestimated"?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)