+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽ Match Thread vs. Wrexham 10.04.23 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    We all have enjoyed this season, but whether its the best season we have ever seen as some claim is debatable, the good sides from the past such as the Warnock, Alladyce and Munto teams all found a way to be promoted, the big question is, will this team ??
    The 2009-10 season we had a 28 man squad, and when Steve Cotterill took over we had pretty much the the same team for the remainder of the season.. Which we finished 1st.. No tinkering with that team.

If players are injured or ill you have to tinker.

In the words of Bobby Ball.... 'You just wouldn't let it lie, durham

The history books tell us we've finished 1st , just 4 times since the war. That's a hell of a lot of managers needlessly tinkering! Or maybe they just couldn't find a way to win enough in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    In the words of Bobby Ball.... 'You just wouldn't let it lie, durham
    I'm just reiterating that having a settled side is more likely to succeed than one which changes every week...I dont require your permission to post what i believe, nor do i try to tell you what to post..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    The 2009-10 season we had a 28 man squad, and when Steve Cotterill took over we had pretty much the the same team for the remainder of the season.. Which we finished 1st.. No tinkering with that team.
    I think there are certain modern positions where change (aka tinkering) is necessary. Two of the biggest issues for us this season were losing TAR to a bad injury at a key stage and not having a LWB who could compete with Chicksen. Wing back is such a demanding role, and it's almost impossible to play every game at 100% if you're an ever present (especially at this level, where players won't be quite such good athletes as those in the top leagues).

JOB is 35 (I think) and can't be expected to put in energetic 90-minute shifts twice a week, so it's understandable that he needs rotating. Finally, we've also had to flog Macca more in the second half of the season than we did in 2022 due to Cedwyn's absence for a couple of months and literally having no other striker on the books.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    I think there are certain modern positions where change (aka tinkering) is necessary. Two of the biggest issues for us this season were losing TAR to a bad injury at a key stage and not having a LWB who could compete with Chicksen. Wing back is such a demanding role, and it's almost impossible to play every game at 100% if you're an ever present (especially at this level, where players won't be quite such good athletes as those in the top leagues).

JOB is 35 (I think) and can't be expected to put in energetic 90-minute shifts twice a week, so it's understandable that he needs rotating. Finally, we've also had to flog Macca more in the second half of the season than we did in 2022 due to Cedwyn's absence for a couple of months and literally having no other striker on the books.
    It didnt help matters signing someone who was injured...

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    All true. Feel that Nemane still has some in the tank - LW has given him breathers this season.

But what about Chicks? He's hit a brick wall over recent weeks. As in other recent games, he offered no attacking threat but didn't really help at the back either. We'll need better than that in the POs, can he find it again?

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We went past that team’s points total for the entire season three weeks ago.

And that is where our advantageous position of knowing we will finish 2nd comes into play. If Chicks , or anyone, is viewed as needing a break, physically and/or mentally then we have that luxury, unlike others.

Where as Chicksen's form has tailed off recently, others have notably improved. Personally i'm not concerned about individual players recent form, collectively they've been in great form. My biggest concern is injuries, if we go into it with no further injuries then I'm very confident we will be heading to Wembley.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast