+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Songs that 'real men' have verbal disdain for, they cannot admit .....

Songs that 'real men' have verbal disdain for, they cannot admit .....

..... to liking these songs because that would define them as not 'real men'.

Sod that, there's plenty of Abba, The Carpenters, Elton John, Billy Joel,
    Simon & Garfunkel, Don McLean, Albert Hammond etc songs that I like.

I also enjoy this Gospel medley :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kggVAPYRZRg

I love a good heartbreaker,songs that tug at your heartstrings and make me miserable are the ones that make me happiest,Billy Joel's An Innocent Man is a beautiful song,Carpenters and Simon and Garfunkel,well there's to many to mention

Oh and before you chip in BDB about them being sad songs being crap I will leave you with this verse...

You say you feel so empty
    That our house just ain't a home
    That I'm always somewhere else
    And you're always there alone

Let me respond my learned friend…

I challenge anyone to not relate to this & fill up with tears…

I watch the birds fly south across the autumn sky
    And one by one they disappear,
    I wish that I was flying with them
    Now you're not here.
    Like the sun through the trees you came to love me,
    Like a leaf on a breeze you blew away...
    Through autumn's golden gown we used to kick our way,
    You always loved this time of year
    Those fallen leaves lie undisturbed now
    'Cause you're not here
    'Cause you're not here
    'Cause you're not here

Hate that song.. gets me every time ..

Ullaaaa

[QUOTE=Chauncey;40258094]I love a good heartbreaker,songs that tug at your heartstrings and make me miserable are the ones that make me happiest,Billy Joel's An Innocent Man is a beautiful song,Carpenters and Simon and Garfunkel,well there's to many to mention

Oh and before you chip in BDB about them being sad songs being crap I will leave you with this verse...

And you're always there alone[/QUOTE

Yep…

Oh, Beth, what can I do
    Beth, what can I do
    And you're always there alone
    Just a few more hours
    And I'll be right home to you
    I think I hear them calling
    Oh, Beth, what can I do
    Beth, what can I do
    Beth, I know you're lonely
    And I hope you'll be alright
    Cause me and the boys will be playing
    All night...

That was written from memory not copied…, one of my past jobs used to involve a lot of travel but Beth by Kiss & Princess of the Night by Saxon are our songs 💙

Beth is my daughter for info & yes… there is a video of my crying as Kiss played it live at Download last year in the fine County of Derbyshire 😎

They said she was too good for him,
    She was haughty, proud and chic,
    But Ernie got his 'cocoa' there,
    Three times every week

Don McLean reckons that sad songs have the longest lives. American Pie is a lament in 1970 about life being better in the 1950s until 'the day the music died' the air crash that killed Buddy Holly. That is what I understand it to be about, but who knows. McLean never explains American Pie, which makes sense. The longer that people have theories about it the longer it remains popular. In a McLean concert in 1974 between songs someone shouted "What does American Pie mean?". The reply from McLean was "It means that I do not need to work any more".

And the three men I admire most,
    The Father, Son and Holy Ghost,
    They caught the last train for the coast,
    The day the music died

McLean took some good advice at the outset of his career "keep your publishing rights". That is do not do any deals with anyone that give them the perpetual right to make money from your songs. Lots of song writers have done bad deals with record companies / artists such that they have lost the rights to make any money from their past songs for ever. McLean may have failed to do deals here and there but he still owns his own songs. Anyone else performing them or recording them makes money for him directly, i.e. Perry Como with 'And I Love You So', Madonna with 'American Pie' etc.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 12-04-2023 at 08:13 PM.

BDB, I have been contemplating going to Download for years. This year one of my favourite bands is playing and it's their only UK gig. Just not sure about going, are there pensioners present?

Stefan,I now hate American Pie after spending decades of loving it due to the fact that it's all they play on the radio when they play a McLean song,Vincent,And I Love You So,Castles In The Air,Empty Chairs,Sister Fatima,Winterwood and my personal favourite Wonderful Baby never get played despite being well known songs

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    BDB, I have been contemplating going to Download for years. This year one of my favourite bands is playing and it's their only UK gig. Just not sure about going, are there pensioners present?
    He gets up early bumble but I will point him to your post tomorrow,he loves talking about heavy rock music so it's your own fault if he goes on a bit about it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)