+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Orient

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    There's no doubt that Offord was partially responsible but facing his own goal and with the forward on his back, the situation demanded that Richards take command. However, it could be argued that Offord, knowing how dodgy Richards is, should have taken charge and simply hoofed it away to the side stands. So yes, in the context Offord should have taken more responsibility. In the end though Richards is always a disaster waiting to happen.
    As a footnote, and running the risk of inviting an 'intervention', if the retreating player had been McDonald rather than Offord, the calamity wouldn't have happened. I say this as Rod is a more 'instinctive' player whereas Offord seems to be rather bound by 'the book'.
    The first goal was also affected by other defensive errors. Mellor misjudged the roll of the ball and should have, again, hoofed it into the stands. As it turned out the ball didn't have the legs to reach the dead ball line and so Mellor's attempt to shield failed and their player was able to get to the ball and cross it.
    However, as their player was crossing from right on the dead ball line, there was no way Richards should have been standing on his line. He should have been at least a yard off to affect the angles. He would then have easily been able to collect what was an underhit cross.
    So, yes I agree that the defence should share some of the blame but cannot accept a 50/50 share. Richards was unable to follow basic principles and so, once again, let the side down.
    Hopefully we won't see him again in a Crewe shirt.
    Hoof it into the Stands is what they used to do as you know but academies and coaches want you to stand there, hold the ball, look around to pass the ball sideways and backwards and never forward as that may create a chance on goal....see how many chances we have these days and so get beat easily by mediocre teams...Training and coaching by manuals never work and our player scoring all those goals via penalties, shows that pure ability wins the day, not the coaching manual and even LB acknowledges that...

Offord has been here what 14 years since he was a boy and still can't play this game at a Pro level sadly and that is a lot of money to be spent on not so great talent don't you think? A million pounds footballer talent was what our academy was supposed to be for..Not for footballers who struggle at the bottom of the lowest league..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 24-04-2023 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    Hoof it into the Stands is what they used to do as you know but academies and coaches want you to stand there, hold the ball, look around to pass the ball sideways and backwards and never forward as that may create a chance on goal....see how many chances we have these days and so get beat easily by mediocre teams...Training and coaching by manuals never work and our player scoring all those goals via penalties, shows that pure ability wins the day, not the coaching manual and even LB acknowledges that...

Offord has been here what 14 years since he was a boy and still can't play this game at a Pro level sadly and that is a lot of money to be spent on not so great talent don't you think? A million pounds footballer talent was what our academy was supposed to be for..Not for footballers who struggle at the bottom of the lowest league..
    To say that Offord can't play the game at pro level is ridiculous. He is a player who is not showing his best form right now but has been consistently good for a few years now. Even the sainted Jimmy Greaves had off days. If he didn't he would have been scoring every match but of course coaching of defenders over time made it more difficult to score as it is now. I am really not sure what level you think this club should be playing at. Premiership? Pushing for Champions League God forbid! We are a league 2 club that is well run, yes I did say well run. If it continues to be well run we will have a club to support and watch for many years to come. To hold Wrexham up as a comparison suggests you have had your head up your backside for the last 2 years as there is no comparison. To beat the club with this stick that we can't beat a team that has come up from the National League doesn't even tell half the story. Try and look at the broader picture Mike. You might learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    To say that Offord can't play the game at pro level is ridiculous. He is a player who is not showing his best form right now but has been consistently good for a few years now. Even the sainted Jimmy Greaves had off days. If he didn't he would have been scoring every match but of course coaching of defenders over time made it more difficult to score as it is now. I am really not sure what level you think this club should be playing at. Premiership? Pushing for Champions League God forbid! We are a league 2 club that is well run, yes I did say well run. If it continues to be well run we will have a club to support and watch for many years to come. To hold Wrexham up as a comparison suggests you have had your head up your backside for the last 2 years as there is no comparison. To beat the club with this stick that we can't beat a team that has come up from the National League doesn't even tell half the story. Try and look at the broader picture Mike. You might learn something.
    LOL thanks..

Quoting Brentford and Wrexham is actually looking at a wider picture than lowly Crewe who have never had any ambition to succeed but I would rather support this team than Liverpool or ManC or ManU..Wrexham has been in the play offs 5 times and never succeeded. Brentford says the academy system does not work for them and is too expensive. It really is not suitable for us at this level and going to Cat4 is a far better and cheaper way and would actually benefit our club and that is always my ambition at least. Not watching the dross we have that have spent donkeys years being told how to play by poor quality coaching staff as good as they want to succeed, they can't if the players are not good enough and why the old sysyem was better that if you were not good enough, you were not signed and that seems a far better idea than watching 5 year olds and spending a million a season...I could be wrong but that is the nature of being a Crewe football fan who would not dream of watching ManC..

Crewe vs Wrexham ought to be a good game...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123