+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reports that saint-maximin is on the chopping block !!!!

Post Reports that saint-maximin is on the chopping block !!!!

TEAM TALK REPORTED THIS TODAY:

Due to Financial Fair Play constraints, Newcastle have set aside a modest £20m-£25m for the summer window. Qualification for the Champions League will loosen the purse strings, though that’s a bridge that’s still to be crossed.

As such, Eddie Howe must boost his transfer budget through player sales and Saint-Maximin is on the chopping block as a result. The report adds they expect to recoup a ‘decent fee’ if an exit does materialise.

talkSPORT shed further light on the reasoning behind what would unquestionably be a surprise split. They state the January addition of Anthony Gordon has left Saint-Maximin ‘questioning his role’.

Gordon – a £45m (including add-ons) signing from Everton – has been a bit-part player for Howe thus far. However, £45m signings aren’t made to warm the bench and Gordon’s role in the team is likely to increase next season.

If ASM could stay fit, I would say that this is bad news. In reality he spends a third of the season injured, another third playing (poorly usually) himself back to form and then is brilliant for the other third. Gordon is going to be a good player for us.
    On the balance, if the above financial constraint is true, then he needs to go.

Aye, seems logical, misses many games due to injuries.

I've seen nothing from gordon to suggest he is even half the player ASM is

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post
    That’s a fair point. I think Gordon will be more consistent, less injury prone, will work harder and will spend more of the game vertical not horizontal. I like Maxi, he’s different, but we need more consistency and more game time from our players if we are to compete in cup competitions. I just wonder if he would be injured with a champions league game on the horizon? If we could swap him for Diaby I would do it.

Honestly, we've seen more from Ryan Fraser than from Gordon. Obviously he needs time to adjust etc. and I think he's got the potential, but unfortunately I also think there's a chance he might not be the player we thought he was.

Time well tell!

ASM is a flair player. Gordon is a more technical player. I’ve seen enough of him at Everton and here to think he’ll be good for us. I was pleased when we signed him (unlike the majority, I know) and I still am.

Probably as valid a source as Football Insider…

Maybe ASM is under threat, but how much we have to spend this summer isn’t likely known to anyone outside the club.

any site/podcast/newspaper that claims they know what

our budget is/was,
    transfer targets are
    or even players we are looking to offload

are to be viewed and laughed at. NOTHING gets out of the club, why on earth Luke Edwards and the clowns from Talk shlte would be in the loop is laughable.

Edwards started the budget rumours off, with a £20m kitty , never been correct about anything NUFC related transfer wise.

Yeah the Saudi's are going to get us into Europe and then turn into Mike Ashley. Yet its the Saudi way to be the biggest and best, they will not be seen to be second best to anyone especially in their region.

We have 6 players out of contract in the summer, these will ALL need replacing to even compete in the PL next year.

We have a number of loanees coming back like Hendrick, Hayden and Darlow who will need to be moved on

Plus Frazer has no future, and will need to be moved on

Yeah we have a 20m kitty

its all over the media we are signing a player for 5m, so thats the funds down to 15m now

....be delighted if the world thought there was only 20mill.

We are in line for a new shirt sponsor yes? From the 6 mill fun88 per year we get to 50/60 mill/who knows what per year.

On Maxi, I now see him as a bench, impact player unless he can add fitness and consistency. If so I see an unquestioned, blue chip starter. There aren't many of this type of player around, they terrorise defenders and can produce magic at any moment. His performance ceiling is higher than Gordons right now unless he can add end product which the Everton fans used to complain about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)